Join Strat-Talk Today

Most memorable concerts

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratafied, Nov 28, 2019.

1. 2GoneDE

2GoneDE Strat-Talker

Tool 2006 at The Joint in Las Vegas

Tool 1994 Salem Armory

Pink Floyd 1995 Mile High Stadium

Sublime Las Vegas early 1996

Pearl Jam/ Niel Young/ Blind Melon-Portland Meadows Race Track 1993

Foo Fighters- 2003 House of Blues Las Vegas

2. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

When I saw Floyd, which was cool enough, since they were 'on' that night, it was an outdoor arena and it was POURING RAIN, my feet were soaked in standing cold water. Rick was covered in clear plastic. I was freezing. We left early.

3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Most memorable concert for me was seeing Roger Waters about 2000. I took a really hot date. She couldn’t wait for the show to end. I made her wait though. Made for an interesting drive home.

amstratnut likes this.
  4. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-Talker

Page and Plant on their first reunion tour - I was too young to ever see Zeppelin, so this was as close as I could get, and they blew my damn mind. I have been watching bootlegs from that tour recently, and I wasn't blinded by nostalgia; they really were THAT good. All the house lights flipping on as Robert Plant (and the entire crowd) screamed "Ramble on!!!" Holy crap, man.

R.L. Burnside - I took my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) and we got there way early and staked out a spot right at the front of the stage. We ended up being right at Burnside's feet through the show. He stared down my girlfriend/wife's cleavage all night (she still calls him "that dirty old man"). He noticed I was singing along to all of his songs, so several times through the show, he lowered the mic down to me to sing along with him. I can't get over that to this day.

ZZ Top at Red Rocks - This was my first concert ever, and it altered my DNA. Dusty's bass was so loud it was making my pantlegs flap in the breeze. Billy's guitar tone was so nasty and fuzzy that it bordered on heavy metal. AND I LOVED IT. It forever made me realize that the way to appreciate a band was live and loud.

Ronnie Earl - If you're not into Ronnie Earl, it's hard to even describe. It's blues guitar, but played with subtlety and soulfulness and artistry...until he flips the switch, and then the peels the paint off the walls and melts the skin off your face. And he can do either at will. An entire concert of Ronnie Earl is like being on the best roller coaster ever.

Rolling Stones, Voodoo Lounge tour - This might of been my 2nd concert of all time? Up to that point, I didn't totally GET the Stones. They were my dad's band. But I had been getting into Exile on Main St., so I took a flyer and bought tickets to their Mile High Stadium show. After that, I GOT them. Keef's guitar was upfront and directing the show, things moved along from classic tune to classic tune to classic tune and then some. The Stones were my favorite band ever since.

5. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

A few that come to mind....

The Who
    , Rosemont, IL 1982. My first concert.

Peter Gabriel, Rosemont, IL 1986. Great show, sounded fantastic.

Pink Floyd, Rosemont, IL 1987. David Gilmour, 'nough said.

Tab Benoit, Bloomington, IL. 2017. Great show, they always are, and also had the opportunity to meet him and talk after the show at a nearby bar.

Tedeschi Trucks Band, St. Louis, MO 2017. The night after Butch Trucks died, Derek played like he was playing for Butch, just a monster that night.

Joe Bonamassa, Peoria, IL 2014. The show that inspired me to pick up and learn to play the guitar at 44 years old.

Joe Bonamassa, Morrison, CO 2015. Great show and first experience at Red Rocks Amphitheater. Seeing a concert at Red Rocks was a bucket list item.

The Temperance Movement, Bloomington, IL 2016. They were fantastic, high energy show but unfortunately the crowd was embarrassingly small. They deserved a much better and bigger crowd.

The Who, Chicago, IL. 2016. My wife bought us 19th row floor seats right in front of Pete. They sounded great and put on a great show that night. Oh, and I was 19 rows from my original guitar idol. Not a bad night, not a bad night at all.

6. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

King Crimson blew my mind.

Eagles were fantastic.

Arms tour with Page, Clapton, and Beck all on stage together.

The Byrds.

Tom Petty, about a month before he passed.

The Looters were a local SF band in the eighties. I loved them. Saw them about 4x.

Saw John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, Paco De Lucia in Greece. I was 17 and thought I was so cool offering them beers.

Santana and McCoy Tyner in SF. I was able to approach Carlos and ask him for a pick, which he dug out of his pocket and handed me.

Taking my mom to see the Dead in Berkeley.

Walking from my house to see the Dead at Frost.

I made a big deal of taking my son to see BB King shortly before he passed. BB seemed totally out of it but, it was still important for me to take my boy to see him.

Also took my son to see Clapton about 2 months ago.

ELO was really really good.

Prince, where the ladied behind me asked me to stop dancing a sit down. I felt like an idiot. My gf with me was hot.....

Wynton Marsalis and Lincoln Center Orchestra. Incredible!

Fishbone 2x.

Lollapalooza...roady asked my gf (future wife) if her and her friend wanted to go to after party. My gf brought me. We watched Janes Addiction from the side of back stage. We met Ice Tea. :)

Robben Ford. Just such an incredible player. A whole, nutha, level.

Ill stop now.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  7. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Stanley Jordan

Pride and Glory

Robben Ford

Steve Vai with Mike Keneally

Cold Chisel

EC

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.