Most versatile drive combo?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by GlassyD83, Jun 3, 2021.

1. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

They do

SalvorHardin likes this.
  2. GlassyD83

GlassyD83 Strat-Talker

It’s a great pedal. I really like it

SalvorHardin likes this.
  3. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talker

Currently I use a Mini Tumnus into a King of Tone I play a strat with two P-Rails into a cleanish Rivera Chubster. I can cover just about anything that comes up with that rig but I'm getting tired of it.

The two I'm experimenting with are the Mojo Mojo and The Dude. Both sound beautiful on their own but I haven't worked out a stack yet.

4. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Compressor & OCD
    Pretty much cover all the bases

5. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

My KTR into my Keeley 1962x. I could replace the KTR with the Bad Bob and love it, but I didn’t put that first as you’re asking about drive pedals and the Bob is a boost.

Bladesg likes this.
  6. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

Klon KTR in front of a Fulltone OCD Rev 3 Rico works nicely with a blackface Fender amp.

7. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talk Member

The only crucial one would be a Germanium Fuzz Face. This allows me to get everything from sparkly clean to full out fuzz with the volume knob on the Strat. Currently I like the Jam Pedals Fuzz Phrase. It cleans up so well.
    Second one would be some natural sounding, touch sensitive OD that doesn’t overhype the mids. This way I can use it on its own, or stack after the Fuzz Face if I want a smoother fuzz and more sustain. Something like a Bluesbreaker type OD (I like the Vick Audio Mt Pleasant), a Nobels ODR-1, or the Foxrox FR100 (which also has a boost switch as a bonus). My favorite pedal for this is the Pedal Doctor FX Four Speed OD, but they are not too common nowadays.

GlassyD83 likes this.
  8. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talk Member

I am not a Klon fan either, but not because of the base tone. I think they sound great and boost just the right frequencies. What I can’t stand is how dark they get when you roll back your Gtr volume. Everything turns to mud. They are like the opposite of a Fuzz Face, which get brighter as you turn down. I use the volume control a lot and any pedal I use has to work at all ranges on the Gtr volume.

GlassyD83 and BlurgyWurgyWibble like this.
  9. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

I have revised this set-up for the better.

Now it's The FD2 at the front into the compressor and the Timmy after (whereas both were before the comp. in the past). The FD is now the drive pedal (with the flexibility of one or 2 stages of OD) and the Timmy can be either a clean boost or add some grit as necessary.

This change also allows me to put the comp before POG, Wah, and Qtron which is working nicely for those pedals, esp. the Pog and Qtron.

GlassyD83 likes this.
  10. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly Strat-Talk Member

GlassyD83 likes this.
  11. gogaterz

gogaterz Strat-Talk Member

Definitely a Tube Screamer, and then a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe (my favorite OD pedal right now)

GlassyD83 and SalvorHardin like this.
  12. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talker

Klon-ish pedal and an overdrive or distortion pedal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I'm late to the party and you beat me to it.
    With the SDMod you have a Tube Screamer, a Tube Driver, and modified DS-1 and a mid-scoop OD, all in one.

My second, run after the SD, would be the Voodoo Lab Giggity - on the second from the right setting on the Sun/Moon knob it will turn your Fender into an old-school Marshall.
    Being me, I could never just run two drives, so my third would be the Xotic BB Preamp, set before the SDMod as a gain boost - I have the Andy Timmons version, and it's like a sustain/feedback on demand pedal.

14. ResidentRen

ResidentRen Strat-Talk Member

Two pedals only?

I'd go for a OD + Boost/EQ combo:

GTR > OD pedal 1 (TS or any OD you'd play) > Boost (Klone type).

This is so the 2nd drive boosts and EQs what's coming before. You set up a decent drive tone, the engage the boost for more power.

Oh, and I'd set up amp volume LOUD and manage overall volume from my guitar.

Stay safe, stay healthy.
    Peace!

jd35801 and GhostJam47 like this.
  15. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Archer Ikon into Wampler pantheon, Lovepedal "mystery drive" , Friedman BE OD or just about anything else. The Archer is the best "drive enhancing" pedal I've ever used.

16. Mike Corey

Mike Corey Strat-Talk Member

Earthquaker Plumes into a Blues Deluxe. I can get anything out of that pedal.

17. Mike Corey

Mike Corey Strat-Talk Member

The NUX Plexi Crunch. Yeah, it's cheap, but the tone is great. A little bit of hiss but I'll take it. We don't always have to spend a fortune on pedals.

18. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Lately, I have gone back to the Vick Audio Tree of Life, which is a Zendrive/OCD hybrid, and the Homebrew Electronics Power Screamer with Fat Boost, which is a modified TS.

I usually keep the Vick maxed out on the Tone and Gain controls and hit it with the Power Screamer set for lower gain and a bit of a volume boost.

That adds a lot of harmonic content that makes lead lines sing and cry. Notes have that feeling like they are just effortlessly pouring out of the guitar. It's a very expressive combination.

The Tree of Life is very amp-like in the way it reacts to dynamics, even when the Gain is way up. It's also great for dirty rhythm and chords because it doesn't make everything blur together like many other dirt pedals.

Having the separate foot switch for an additional gain boost on the Power Screamer is really nice too. When everyone else is really digging in and you're struggling to be heard, just hit that switch and BAM!......there's an extra 10 dbs for you.

I've been changing out pedals a lot lately and trying all kinds of different OD, boost, distortion and fuzz boxes. The Vick and the HBE together or by themselves stand out in a very crowded playing field.

19. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Me too. Great combo.

20. rrben29

rrben29 Senior Stratmaster

If the amp is cooking and you can get dirt from it... I'd go Fuzzface into tubescreamer. TS gives a midpush for a scooped Blackface fender amp (and focus by cutting bass if its a tweed amp) Fuzz gives bright jangly cleans/edge of breakup tones and obviously fuzz full out. TS can also focus a FF so it won't be drowned out in a mix.