Most versatile pickups are…

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by rexfordbridge, May 15, 2021.

1. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Yep. Much of my gear lusting goes away when I play my current gear. Amazing really- I usually only want stuff when I’m surfing the internet.

stratmatt777 and SalvorHardin like this.
  2. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Lace Sensor

Red Silver Blue

3. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

I have a strat with Fender Original '57/'62s in the neck and middle and a full size Duncan Custom Custom humbucker in the bridge going into a Soldano Astroverb or Fender Blues Jr. It covers all the bases, but I could see how some could object to it being like two guitars in one since the change in output is so drastic between the singles and humbucker. However, this output change makes moving the pickup selector almost like channel switching when running into a cranked tube amp (much like picking lightly or reducing guitar volume).

SalvorHardin likes this.
  4. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

Here's what Lincoln Brewster's sig strat has: "A trio of single-coil pickups — two DiMarzio® Area 58™ pickups in the neck and middle positions, and a DiMarzio Area 61™ at the bridge"

Those are going to give you noiseless vintage tones. If you use an amp with preamp gain or an overdrive pedal that will give you whatever you need.
    If you are into rock, like Thin Lizzy you might want to consider a stacked NON-VINTAGE voiced humbucker with a bit more gain, but I have no clue what pickups Thin Lizzy used. All I know is that John Sykes and Gary Moore both played with them and both of them are Les Paul guys (meaning full-size humbuckers).

Or maybe using the middle and bridge together will be good enough?
    (I don't have experience with using middle and bridge singles together because I turned my strat into an HSS in 1999).

Of course, with the endless variety of guitar gear we have these days you can get whatever sound you are after out of any pickup probably.

You just need to decide how much output you want coming from your pickup.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  5. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

These days, even cheap pickups on a Strat are pretty good. So any pickup upgrade is going to sound phenomenal.

6. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

Loving my Red Devils Thanks for the suggestion when I was in the market! They paired extremely well with the pearly gate.

7. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

SalvorHardin and Seamus OReally like this.