Moving is tough

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by DUSTER44T, Jan 20, 2021.

1. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

Just sold our house. Not bought yet. Closing date is 15 March. Chances of finding anything with short settlement period is low. So we’ll have to rent, then buy.. so I gotta move twice ..ffs....

2. DUSTER44T

DUSTER44T Strat-Talker

I said this the last 2-3 moves. This one isn't even my idea, it's my son's. He's buying a bigger one and said just to sell our house are move into the one he's moving out of. I was fine where I was but majority rules I guess. I can't wait until I can just sit on my front porch, relax and yell at the neighbor kids to GET OFF MY LAWN......lol

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    circles and fos1 like this.
  3. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-O-Master

Moved 2 years ago to a house (finally!)

The worst part was moving over 5000 record albums. I had to carry them all down 3 flights of stairs in shopping bags. It took months.

4. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Strat-Talk Member

Couldn’t be any farther apart. We are in Anderson. Extreme northwest.

Came from Southbridge, Mass. Center of the State and on the Ct border.
    Bob

albala likes this.
  5. fos1

fos1 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

5000 record albums!!!

I hope you are a DJ....

6. Falstaff50

Falstaff50 Strat-Talk Member

Worse part of moving for me is not my guitar gear. It's moving my record collection of about 1500 units. Fortunately I have only had to move it a couple times, last time it was 22 boxes weighing in at about 100 lbs each. Mine isn't even that big really. I know people whose collection takes up 2 homes and several storage units (we're talking more than 100k records).

7. StratUp

StratUp Strat-Talker

I'd actually never driven across the country... everyone should do it at least once. It's a great experience. I wish I could do it with more slack in the schedule, post Covid, so I could spend some time enjoying the states as I go.

Baelzebub likes this.
  8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

What vinyl do you collect? Maybe I could add to your burden....:D

9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Wow..lotta vinyl collectors on here. If you know anyone who collects FZ put them in touch.

10. Falstaff50

Most of my collection is Jazz from the mid 50s to about 1968. The rest is classic rock. I don't do 78s or 45 single plays. I mention that as some newer issue LPs play at 45 as it gives a higher quality sound. Just like in RTR recordings the faster speed they were recorded and play back at the higher the quality...and price as well. I also am into RTR if you couldn't tell.

By the way, Uhaul has a small box they sell that is just the right size and holds about 80 records each.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  11. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Strat-O-Master

My wife wants to buy a different house. I don't. I told her to do what she wants, but budget for MOVERS to do it for us if she's going to move. I'm not toting no more @#$%$ couches. Too old and fat and lazy. We have 4 sofas, 2 dining sets, 3 china cabinets, 3 bedroom suites, plus a giant cabinet for model cars. Plus the 500+ model cars. In the house. It's like a used furniture store our kids say. 2 storage buildings. And the FIRST thing I look at when she shows me a new house is space for models and me to have a place to do "Stuff". THen the HOA. Not moving anywhere I have to deal with idiots telling me what I can do with my space. And I don't have junk cars or anything like that. I have also told her she can move without me if I really didn't like the new house. I LIKE where I am.

12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

We are planning to move into a new home, built after our other home burned down. Its been over 2 years since the camp fire. Planning to move next month. I thought Id be home by now. Looking forward to moving!

CigBurn likes this.
  13. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I'm a rolling stone ( not financially of course :rolleyes:)
    I enjoy moving and have a guy that does it all after I've packed everything. It's the start of a new adventure for me and I love new stuff! Might meet some attractive neighbour or someone who shares a similar hobby ( guitars and cars) or who has some nice power tools I can borrow! :p

14. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

We moved from NC TO SC last year. Condo at the beach, our retirement home. That is the LAST move.

15. Dabajoe

Dabajoe Strat-Talk Member

100 k isn't a collection, it's a hoard.

Falstaff50 likes this.
  16. Falstaff50

Yeah they are serious collectors. They usually have three to 4 copies of each records in their collection. A player, a backup player, a still in shrink-wrap never opened copy and a secondary backup to this. This isn't even counting the releases from every country of the same album and promo copies and test copies including acetates. And don't get me started on the guys who collect master recordings. It can get ridiculous/fanatical. As it happens, the guys I know that have those massive collections, most have their collection and the rest is trading stock.

Of my 12 to 15 hundred records there are about 600 that I would never sell or trade. I have some jazz club releases that I have never seen online at Discogs, ebay or any other trading forums. These are LPs groups would sell at their shows, for a couple of bucks like they would later do at rock shows for cassettes and cds in the 70s and 80s. Many are autographed by the group, usually a small combo of 3 to 8 musicians. Some would become well known later with their own recording careers and groups. It's a nitch collection.

17. Jim Carl

Jim Carl Strat-Talk Member

I moved from Utah to Maui back in 2007.The night before my flight I sold my MIJ Jackson RR back to the guitar shop where I had originally bought it..
    Black with chrome hardware, I had replaced the factory duncan designed pickups with dimarzio super distortion and super 2.
    Sounded as good as it looked, I still miss that guitar today.

18. Dare1

Dare1 Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah I'm dreading our upcoming moves. Gonna be two, one back to Texas for a bit then another to wherever we end up from there.

19. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-O-Master

The last time I moved about 20 years ago, which I fervently hope will be the last time I ever move, I had to move an entire off-grid sheep and goat farm about ten miles. I did the whole thing with a (crap) Dakota pickup and a borrowed horse trailer. Among other things, I moved 17 sheep, 8 goats, one donkey, 30 chickens, 4 geese, 4 ducks, some angora rabbits, 8 cords of firewood, 300 bales of hay, a complete wood workshop including a Powermatic lathe at about 800 pounds, a couple table saws, radial arm on and on, a ten foot high pile of (theoretically useful) scrap metal, two generators including a huge Dayton commercial unit, 3 tractors, a manure spreader, my wife's looms and fleeces and spinning wheels and cloth and sewing machines, a couple trailers, all my welding and mechanic stuff, ten guitars, a few amps, a few hundred pounds of grain, all the usual clothes and shoes and food and woks and spatulas and car parts and lumbers and trash and detritus and paint cans and 7 dogs and a few cats and all the others usual dross and dregs and c--p that accumulates....eck.

Not to mention the furniture.

Getting the d----d donkey in the trailer was the hardest thing I've ever done. (There was a comealong involved.)

On and f'ing on.

In the end, I got it done. A week later I traded in the Dakota, which was down a cylinder, leaning to one side, spewing steam and coolant (overheated, blown gasket, warped head, just like me, tbh), exhausted and done for.

Now, with two sheep, one goose, thirty chickens, one tractor, a nice newish Tacoma, and lightbulbs that light without firing up a generator (usually), I am staying put. I am now an immovable object.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    dublindave8456 likes this.
  20. Dickey69

Dickey69 Strat-Talk Member

You moved 46 times & Pennsylvania is what you end up with?!

dublindave8456 likes this.