Moving to Arizona

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ian Ashdown, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

Having been laid-off due to Coronavirus, I will soon be re-locating to Phoenix AZ for what turns out to be an even better job! I’m moving from Orange County, CA where the climate is just about ideal, humidity for guitars close to perfect, to the blazing heat and dry of Phoenix. I’ll be taking a selection of my guitars, Acoustics, Semi-Acoustics and Solid Bodies(Strats and LP’s). The rest will be put in cases and left in my SoCal home.

What precautions should I take in Phoenix to keep all my guitars safe? I’m taking a small room sized ultra-sonic humidifier, and prefer to keep half a dozen guitars on stands so the call for me to play them! Should I look for something that will humidify the whole apartment or would it be better to keep them in cases with individual humidifiers?

Appreciate any advice from someone who lives or has lived in a super dry environment.

Already found a few BrewPubs so no problem keeping the player humidified!

Thanks!

Ian
    SoCal/Phoenix

circles, The-Kid, 3bolt79 and 4 others like this.
  2. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

It's hot as hell here.

My 30 guitars are fine here. No special precautions needed. Leave them in their cases when you're not playing them. You might have to tweak a truss rod or deal with fretsprout. I haven't and I've been here for two years.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

I'd get a whole apartment humidifier for the guitars and goodly supply of masks and hand sanitizer for you. Phoenix is having a terrible surge in CV19 cases, hospitals are at capacity.
    Good luck.

bloomz, 3bolt79, soulman969 and 2 others like this.
  4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Last time and actually whenever I’ve been in Temp and Phoenix, it’s been in November and it was hot then. I can only imagine how hot it is in July/August when it’s really hot. I would think for acoustics it might be a bit challenging but I figure electrics have more trouble with colder and more humid climates like mine where the swing between hot/cold is greater.

Great news about the job! Stay safe. I’ve been reading about the spike in cases Arizona is experiencing.

5. Martin Mim

Martin Mim Strat-O-Master

All I remember from my vacation in Phoenix was the face-melting heat, and I am a guy used to Texas/Mexico weather.

6. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Never been there but I remember when I was in El Paso .
    The saying was ( but it’s a dry heat ):whistling:

3bolt79, Martin Mim and abnormaltoy like this.
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

A couple of years ago my ride home from Phoenix, a small private jet, couldn't fly because the heat means thinner air, and the concern was we wouldn't have enough lift.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and Martin Mim like this.
  9. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Hot. Real hot. I spent five months, off and on, prepping a corporate show in Scottsdale, and omg it was hot in late August/early September, when we first started going out there. It was a lovely warm 78 degrees in January, but August’s tryin’ to kill ya.

10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

I remember them closing the airport when temps hit 120 or so. It was dangerous to land because the tarmac would melt the tires on the landing gear.

11. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I’ve never been anywhere where temperatures top 100 degrees, I hate the cold but that’s too hot

3bolt79, Groovey, CalicoSkies and 2 others like this.
  12. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

So, is it hot there?

13. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It's not the tires... it's the density altitude.
    At high temps, the air is thinner, so it's as if the airport is at a higher elevation. It can be significant enough to prevent safe takeoff/landing because it increases the stall speed.
    Palm Springs closes for commercial passenger flights all the time, but it's never closed to general aviation and bizjets.

14. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

Arizona isn't a place I'd like to live due to the heat, but when in need of a job, you gotta do what you gotta do.
    [​IMG]

johnnymg, 3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Strat-Talk Supporter

The best I can say about Phoenix is...well, it ain't California. Phoenix is a giant, hot, sweltering, large, hot, convection oven for 5 months out of the year it's hellishly hot, the rest of the year it's just too big.

Several years ago I was up working on a plane at Scottsdale...10 days of 119+ degrees.

Have I mentioned the heat? Other than the heat, park your car in a garage or under shelter and don't touch the steering wheel right when you get in the car. The rest of the year...if you have to live in a city Phoenix isn't bad. There are lots of decent entertainment options, good food and bars (although I haven't be up to any in a few years) sports teams. After a bit of a drive and you can be in the mountains. All over AZ, there are outdoor opportunities aplenty, but, many things can kill you or attack you with spines. One thing I like out here is, everything makes the most of every drop of rain in season...the desert springs to life after a rain.

16. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m thrilled with the new job! We’ll be changing the future of transportation . . See www.nikolamotor.com.

Currently I live in San Clemente, about half way between LA and San Diego, about 2 miles from the ocean. The climate couldn’t be any better! I love California and will miss living here, but I’m not cutting all ties! Gonna keep my home here.

If I can keep the temp and humidity within sensible limits in the apartment I think the ‘kids’ will be OK. Hate to think what happens to those that gig, poor guitars must be tortured! Might push me to finish the Carbon Fiber Strat! No worries about the temp then!!

Heat stroke here I come!

Ian
    SoCal/Phoenix

17. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The only way you'll get me there is to sponsor a Jam. RogueStock Sooo Hot!

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  18. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

If anyone can recommend good bars etc where there’s good live music I’d very much appreciate it.

I’ll be there on my own, my wife is staying in OC, so I’ll have time on my hands . . .

Ian
    SoCal/Phoenix

19. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Strat-O-Master

Wow. I am so sorry. I hated Phoenix. Stupid hot. "But it's a dry heat" they said...so why was I always soaked?!?o_O
    Your solid body guitars will probably need adjustment after a few days to week like mine did, and your acoustics will require more attention. If you can't keep your house humidified or plan to play out then I would get humidifiers for your case(s) for the acoustics. Once my electrics settled they were fine up until monsoon season.

And yes, there are plenty of places to wet your :whistling: Just make sure they're the right places. Watch what neighborhood your in and who you look in the eye too long. MS13 is real.
    On the other hand, most of the people I met were friendly for the most part, but they were lifers and didn't know anything different. I grew up in Washington, so that much sunshine was a shell shock....In fact, I remember one day the wife & I were driving around and I said "LOOK AT THAT!" and she said "WHAT?". I say "there's a cloud in the sky!", she responds "Well, it must be lost!"

Sunscreen is your friend. Apologies to those who love the desert.:)

20. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster

It was 111° today. I leave a bunch of guitars and basses, both electric and acoustic, on stands, hanging on the walls, and some in cases in my music room. No special treatment. No issues.

musicroom2 copy.jpg