Moving to Arizona

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ian Ashdown, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

I first went to Phoenix in 1986 for the IndyCar race, weeks from moving out from the UK. I was FREAKED OUT seeing people open carrying guns. In bars! Drunk a ****! Can’t be a good idea!!

Ian

Blue Beagle and Jesse414 like this.
  2. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Well...you can't have a gun in a bar unless you have a permit. Same for being around schools, banks, Post Offices...

CB91710, Andrew Wasson and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

I feel he same way. My family started moving here in 1989 and by 1997 all of my immediate family lived in the Phoenix metro area. So I was very familiar with what to expect with regard to the weather.

My wife and I moved here in 2018 with a job transfer. We absolutely love it here. It definitely in not for everyone but you cope with the heat in the summer and enjoy the late fall-spring weather. We've adjusted to it.

We just got back from a walk a little while ago and I just checked the temperature outside and it's 98 degrees. It sounds crazy but it was an enjoyable walk for us. Arizona thin-blood now. There are evenings when it gets into the high 70's/ low 80's and we feel kind of cold when we are sitting on our patio. Crazy, I know.

As many have pointed out, there are many outside activities to do in and around Phoenix and a relatively short drive north or east will get you into the mountains where it's much cooler.

As far as taking care of my guitars, I have a small humidifier I use in my music room but in general, I haven't found that I need to do anything over the top that I didn't already do prior to moving here.

Jesse414 likes this.
  4. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-Talker

If you have a swamp cooler it might add some humidity. It's cool at night and in the morning. And way better than brutal humidity.

At least you can get rid of any guitar case funk, just let the sun blast it for awhile.

I miss it

Jesse414 likes this.
  5. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

In Phoenix once for a convention - it was somewhere 120 degrees, in September.

We called a waterpark (love them) and they were "Closed for the winter".

Nutz hot, we'd draw straws to see who would go out of the hotel and start the car to cool it down.

I was in Afghanistan one time (been there 4 times, way before the war and Taliban and stuff)

It was 120 degrees, the mud buildings baked, you could literally see heat waves (spirally looking things) emanating from the buildings.

About noon our eyes would roil up in our heads and we would sleep (more like pass out) in our room (no aircon obviously - it's Afghanistan) until about 4 then you'd wake up (come to) to the oven.

Jesse414 likes this.
  6. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

was 109 at my house today. I've been here 20 years Between my son and I around 40 guitars and other instruments. When monsoon season hits sometimes the relief gets wonky. Worst damage was fret sprouts. First two years here was no full time electricity. WE are NOT in the city but up higher at 4000 feet.Ususally 5 degrees cooler. SW of Tucson on border.

Jesse414 likes this.
  7. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster

In the winter, it's very dry. Usually between 4% and 15% humidity. The temps range from 30 to 80. In the summer, during the monsoon season, humidity can rise to close to 100%, and temps - well, the sky's the limit.

Since I've been playing mainly acoustic for my band for the past several months, these two have been sitting out during that time. No issues so far.

IMG_5897.JPG

StummerJoe, Nick-O and abnormaltoy like this.
  8. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I never saw that in Arizona but when I was driving on the freeway in Texas heading west, a guy cruised past us on a motorbike with a holstered shiny nickel plated S&W revolver on his belt. You just never see that sort of thing in Canada or from my experience in the states we have near us Washington, Oregon, Montana, etc...

9. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Strat-Talk Supporter

I might not be so tough, it could be all the serious concussions I've had. :confused:

StummerJoe and Andrew Wasson like this.
  10. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

I had problems with my acoustics here. I moved from Hawaii and never knew about humidifying guitars. Mostly your solid wood guitars are vulnerable. Now I get cheap small tupperware/glad
    and put a wet sponge in the case. The old timers use to use apple peelings. I don't know how Fezz does it. It works for him. There's nicer humidifiers that have gel cubes and retain water longer

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, open carry is a thing here, though I've been seeing less and less of it. Most people conceal carry, I would think.

fezz parka, abnormaltoy and CB91710 like this.
  12. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

Well, those days are gone, mostly. People say I'm OK till they get to know me. I hear people cry about Calif. people moving over and raising house prices, it's true but what can you do?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

I have lived here for almost 20 years and they have closed the airport twice maybe 3 times in that period...and those times were for about 4 hours each time....so basically it ain't that bad....:):)

The reason they shut the airport down is what Biddlin posted....thin air...

To the OP....if you have the opportunity and have a spare room....keep your guitars in that room with your room humidifier....especially any and all acoustic guitars....I learned my lesson the hard way many years ago when I relocated from the midwest...

There are a few decent places for live music....with The Rhythm Room being a good one...saw Jimmie Vaughn there a few years past....don't know exactly where you'll be living, but the valley is soooooo easy to get around (especially when compared to CA or Chicago)...pretty much major streets are on a 1 mile square grid...so simple....

To me, I'll take our 100 degree days over 80 degree days in Chicago anytime...we have about 3 and 1/2 months of high temps but the humidity is in the single digits, makes it very pleasant to eat outdoors (in the shade) when temps are over 100....plus we have no earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, etc.....headed up to Jerome this weekend to enjoy the views up north....

Best of Luck....

abnormaltoy likes this.
  14. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I’ve had friends in Scottsdale and Tempe who I used to visit. Definitely down to earth and friendly.

I had a roommate for a while who was a camera operator for the movies from Scottsdale. He was a riot. We were in our 20’s and he was nothing but trouble. His girlfriend, also from AZ eventually moved in with us. I think they had intended to go back but I’m pretty sure they got married and stayed up here in Vancouver.

Biddlin likes this.
  15. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Tell 'em OK Boomer! Actually I just did a Zillow search and asking prices in Phoenix seem to be comparable to Sacramento. There are perhaps some real bargains in the foreclosures. I'd be interested in buying a couple for rentals.So if we've raised their property values, they're welcome.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Buy a whole new set of guitars. Buy locally so that everything you have is accustomed to the climate. It’s just cruel to expect a guitar from SoCal to adapt to Phoenix. It’ll become extremely stressed. Luckily, when the time comes to return ‘home’ a guitar brought up in Phoenix should have no trouble acclimatizing to the less harsh SoCal climate. You’d be a very good person, someone who rescues guitars.

bloomz, Andrew Wasson and Biddlin like this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

104 in the desert once, left my wallet on top of the car dash, all looked like crinkle cut chips when I got back. None of them would fit in the card reader. Luckily my bank got me a replacement in four days. Survived on customer and colleague good will until it arrived.

Stratafied and Biddlin like this.
  18. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

We've hit 112°f here a couple of times and 110 a few more. On Jul 3rd one year I was setting up a portable stage for the city's Independence Day festivities in 112° heat and took some flack from a supervisor because I was letting my crew go shirtless and take breaks in an adjacent artificial lake. About an hour after he threatened to write me up, he was pulled out of his pickup truck with heat stroke. He survived but never made it back to his office to write up the formal reprimand.

Andrew Wasson and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  19. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

WOW ... that’s crazy hot.

20. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

It really isn't that bad....not as bad as the humidity in Florida or New Orleans....you learn not to do outdoor work in the late afternoon....most construction crews start at 5 or 6 in the AM and/or work overnight during the 3 months of summer....basically, June, July, August and a part of September.....then we have 8.5 months of great weather....

We average 110....100° + days a year....and most of those days, the morning temps are in the 70's or low 80's very comfy....sometimes a little to cool for the top to be down on my ride due to the low humidity....

And the most important item......One doesn't need to shovel sun....and we get lots of good ole Sol....