Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

MP3 format dead??

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, May 16, 2017.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Recently I heard that the patents on the MP3 format have been released. I'd think that means MP3 will be more widely supported, in open-source software and such. But I've seen some articles that are trying to say the MP3 format is "dead":
    https://qz.com/983934/say-goodbye-to-the-iconic-mp3/
    That article says there are newer formats (such as AAC) that offer better audio quality. It makes sense to me that the newer/better formats would be preferred, but it doesn't make sense to me to call MP3 dead right now. Many devices on the market, including car stereos, smart phones, music players, etc. support MP3; I haven't heard of any such devices that support AAC, although I have no doubt that there are smart phones etc. that support AAC (it would just need a music player app that plays AAC). Devices like car stereos are harder to update, so I imagine there may still be many such devices for a while that can play MP3 but not the newer formats.

Basically, I think it's going to take some time for some music players to catch up with newer formats. After MP3s came out, it was several years before I saw a car stereo that could play MP3 files.

Also, I imagine that it would take an audiophile's ear to really notice the difference between a high-quality MP3 and an AAC file. I doubt many people with MP3 files are going to go re-rip all their music to AAC right now. Some music sold online is in MP3 format - I'd hope that same music would become available in newer formats once available. That's one reason I still prefer to buy music on CDs or in FLAC format - I can convert it myself to whatever lossy format I choose.

2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    MP3 sound super compressed and harsh to my ears. They could get more life out of them with some tweaking I think. But Im just speculating. Im totally out of any loop.

ZlurkCorzDog and StratoTerr like this.

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't have particularly good ears. I don't have ears at all, in fact. Still MP3, even the better quality MP3, sound obviously worse than the WAV that I usually am working with.

At the same time, I don't expect MP3 to go away soon.

D

StratoTerr and CigBurn like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Your iPod plays AAC; that's the standard format you get when you download or rip using iTunes.

PatoLoco likes this.

6. CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I personally don't have an iPod; I used to have one but haven't for a while. So I wasn't sure what the default format is these days for iPods.

7. StratoTerr

StratoTerr Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2011
    Lewes De.
    W more and more storage available soon MP3s will join 8 tracks, cassettes, and mini discs except they won't pollute the land fill.

alainvey and ZlurkCorzDog like this.

8. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Well, that's good since I've got an external drive with about 85 GIG of MP3 audio tracks (all 320KBS).

But when using Reaper the output is in a WAV.

9. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Dunno, I bet people will be still be listening to and praising MP3's in 20 years much like we do with vinyl now.

"MP3's just sound warmer than ____"

:D

lonegroover and suncrush like this.

10. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Florida
    What do you mean "we," Sam? ;)

11. jtees4

jtees4 Strat-Talker

Nov 18, 2011
    NYish
    I don't think mp3 is going anywhere for quite some time.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Guinness Powered Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    Or Ogg Vorbis, MP3, AIFF, WavPack, FLAC... ;)

13. StratoTerr

StratoTerr Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I grow up w records and hate them. If you wiggle a record between your palms pressed to the edge, thats the sound everyone that likes them hears and likes... just the sound of the vinyl itself , the needle is a contact mike after all. I don't know anyone listening to cassettes.

14. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Florida
    The hipsters are bringing cassettes back.

vid1900 likes this.

15. CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Cassettes were a little less convenient because you had to fast-forward/rewind through them to get to a particular section, and then guess where to stop (unless you had a player with a counter on it and you marked the numbers on the cassette - but then you still had to wait for it to wind). Cassettes were easier to record on than CDs though..

16. Swampash

Swampash Strat-O-Master

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    All that's happened with MP3 is that the inventors are ending their patent-licensing scheme. It's still a massively-popular format that everyone knows how to use and everyone knows how to support. It ain't going anywhere. AAC is a better format in certain areas, but is it a better ENOUGH format to cause mass migration? I don't think so.

17. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog The Artist Formerly Known As gt Strat-Talk Supporter

Sorry, couldn't help it. I got lost in the 50's tonight. :cool:

Last edited: May 16, 2017

18. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    I have all my music in itunes. I ripped my entire cd collection to itunes in 2006 and have only bought new music digitally. Not sure the format but it sounds good to my ears - either streaming to a bluetooth speaker (ok - these don't sound great but could be the $50 speaker I am using, or the bluetooth limitations) or through headphones or through the Apple-TV link to my home audio system.

That said, I think the format is AAC? My only phones or music players are Apple devices since 2006, so I don't know.

19. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

I stopped keeping up with formats when they stopped putting record players in cars. Still can't beat vinyl for long road trips!

car-record-player.jpg

20. Swampash

Swampash Strat-O-Master

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    I don't get why people are so hung up on formats and fidelity, I just don't. I care about the music not about the fidelity with which it is reproduced. I would rather listen to a 3rd-generation analog tape recording of a mono AM radio broadcast of The Beatles or Queen or (insert good music here) than a pristine studio master of some reality-TV-show product-of-the-month.

Stark and circles like this.

21. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

But that is not what is being discussed. If given the choice, would you not choose a higher quality version of a fine performance if it were available?

D