Mucho boring question: Amazon prime

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, May 5, 2020.

1. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Worth $12.99 a month?

Will this keep me glued to the tv and cause excessive ordering of crap for the shipping discount?

Namelyguitar, Stratafied and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talker

I think it is. I do buy a lot of stuff from amazon though. It's worth it just for the savings in shipping. The movies and TV is just a bonus. They aren't as efficient right now thanks to the virus. The normally 2 day shipping can take up to a week since they are prioritizing orders.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Cheaper to go by the year. Think $120 for a year versus $12.99 a month. I think it is worth it because of the videos and the amount of stuff I order. Debating renewing in July though just because they are apparently a terrible company who treats their employees like crap. Of course, that may be a moral dilemma appropriate for a different discussion. FYI, I think they still offer free shipping to non-Prime members if you spend more than $25. You are paying for expedited shipping, their video services, and the occasional prime-only sales.

Morf2540, stratmatt777 and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I use amazon prime to use the prime music service which I have connected to my sonos speaker. So that’s basically how I listen to music these days. That, plus the free shipping plus a few shows like Bosch and fleabag and it’s worthwhile for the moment.

Morf2540 likes this.
  5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I think I come out ahead between buying stuff, Kindle and Firestick.

Morf2540 likes this.
  6. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

Well, if you use Amazon for buying stuff, the Prime gives you free shipping, usually. So the savings on the shipping generally pays for the Prime, and the shows are all but free. Also, they have several original shows that are pretty good. So, Prime on an annual basis usually pays in our case.

Morf2540 and Baelzebub like this.
  7. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I live with the Amazon Queen...she swears by it. I have to be careful when talking about stuff or else it will show up in my driveway...

8. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I use Amazon Instant. I got one of their transporters, kinda pricey and finicky, but it's faster than ground or air. Plus no damage in transit!

Nadnitram and nadzab like this.
  9. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-Talker

Yearly Prime is a deal. Free shipping, free streaming of movies and shows, a free book every month. Also, if you like to read, Amazon Kindle Unlimited gives you all the books you can read for $9.99 a month. They have a fairly extensive library.

Bill, tgo

Baelzebub and Stratoman10 like this.
  10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

In addition to the tv/movies and all the stuff you can order, you can also use subscribe and save, which allows you to choose items you use often and have them delivered on a schedule..every one month...every other month..etc. Depending on how many items you save an extra 5-15% over their already usually decent prices. ]
    Of course with Covid...some stuff is limited or unavailable at times but it's a good alternative to running out to the store for stuff.
    Also have something called Pantry Box. You fill a box with $35 worth of stuff/groceries and they ship it all in one box. No shipping charge. You can do this at any time.
    So if you utilize all of it..(she currently got 3 months of their Prime Music free)...it's well worth it. Go with it for a year. It's cheaper.

nadzab likes this.
  11. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

I'm not sure we could live without it. Annual is the way to go.

12. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Right now I’m enjoying the 30 day free trial, just might bite the bullet and go for the $120 yearly thingy.

Thanks for the responses :thumb:

Namelyguitar likes this.
  13. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member

YES!
    We do the yearly thing and we buy a lot of things, free shipping adds up quick.
    We average 30 packages a month. So it has paid for it's self over and over again.

14. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I use Amazon frequently. It's not always the best price, but the shipping is predictable and usually very fast.

If you are buying things like electrical components, it's way more convenient than trying to find a radio shack, and then getting someone there to order... having to come back next week.

If I need a 0.022uf capacitor I can buy 5 for $5 from Amazon, vs 2000 of them for $50 somewhere else. The "free" shipping is built into prices, but it's still so convenient.

15. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

The new Rambo movie is on it now so yeah

16. pren

pren Strat-Talk Member

Wow it's a lot more expensive in the USA, prime is $7AUD/m which is $4.5USD/m here. Our amazon is a lot worse though, even with prime I can barely get some items within a week or two, let alone a few hours or next day like in NA. That price includes all the TV stuff and the Twitch stuff too.

17. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-O-Master

Behind the free shipoing, like others have mentioned, it's about the perks. You can stream all sorts of shows and movies, and music geeks...tons of music in Amazon is available for unlimited steaming. Not sure if you want to buy the new album from that one guy? Just stream the whole damn thing on Amazon and make up your mind.

18. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I have Amazon Prime, and although we haven't really watched much TV content on it, my wife and I order enough that I think it's worth it. Even though we live in a fairly decent metro area, Amazon has a lot of items that are now hard to find in some stores, or have a better price on Amazon. Sometimes, Amazon is even our default choice for shopping if we don't feel like going out to a store. With Amazon's free 2-day Prime shipping (on many items), I usually don't mind waiting. And Amazon has a couple warehouses in our area, so some items even arrive the next day.

Amazon Prime seems to have a limited selection of music, and if you want access to all of Amazon's streaming music library, you need to pay extra for that.

19. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-O-Master

That hadn't been my experience, but I'll take your word for it. Beginning in December, I bought a subscription for Amazon HD Music, because I bought my wife the Echo Studio speaker. So now, ALL the music seems to be available.

20. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Happy subscriber here - Prime's cheaper in Australia, so it's a no-brainer. USD 4.50/month or 38/year.

Yeah, Amazon Prime's catalog seems limited in strange ways. E.g. the only Beatles in the catalog is the album Abbey Road, nothing else; for Van Halen there's only VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150, and (weirdly) a bootleg of the 1983 US Festival. Lots of artists just aren't there.

Still, there's a lot of stuff I do like, and I can always find something to listen to.

Last edited: May 6, 2020