Mucho boring question: Amazon prime

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, May 5, 2020.

1. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

I've never experienced that. I use amazon's music streaming constantly. In fact, I'm listening to Scott Stapp's June 2019 album for the first time right now to hear what it is like. I also get coffee auto-shipped monthly.
    The key when purchasing anything is to make sure it says "Prime", which means that amazon is the seller and that the shipping is free. It also means that you have the best returns policy on the planet. UNLESS you buy from a seller who is not amazon!

Be careful buying clothing or shoes on amazon from one of these non-amazon sellers because some are fake (according to some reviews I've read about jeans and Saucony shoes).

I agree that yesterdays news about amazon did make me say, "Too bad we have 3 of these music streaming devices and a firestick so we can't ditch them."

But I can't quit them anyway. I need my coffee, man. I guess I'm an addict.
    My smart TV in the living room gets amazon prime so I didn't even have to buy a firestick for that one.

A week ago I noticed amazon flew 3 of their 767s into Seattle within 40 minutes, so they are SUPER busy.
    UPS is flying an MD-11 in place of the usual 767-300, just like they do when they are carrying Christmas packages. Shippers are busy!

If you are paying a scumbag company $125 for cable TV, amazon prime can get you on your way to ditching them and just keeping the internet. (Good riddance comcast!)

2. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

I mainly only play Amazon streaming music on my Echo device, and sometimes there's a song or album I'll ask it to play, and it only plays a sample from Amazon Music and will say I'd need to subscribe to their premium music service to listen to it. I've also seen ads come up on Amazon's web site on my PC for their premium music service which includes access to all their music content.

Yes, one thing I've noticed is that if you buy music albums & such from Amazon Prime, it will be added to your library and you can stream it from Amazon (even if you bought a physical copy). But I think that's different from Amazon's 'Amazon Music' service, isn't it?

Even though I have Amazon Prime, it says I'd have to sign up and pay $7.99/month for their Amazon Music Unlimited service:
    https://music.amazon.com/unlimited/signup&tag=strattalk05-20

3. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-O-Master

In the UK it is £80 a year and you don't get everything free. Not all the free shipping applies to all goods but much, much worse, Tv and films aren't all included. I am forever looking for a film only to find I have to rent or buy it. I think it's a rip off.
    They are also devious. Some films (seasonal) are free in the summer but at Christmas you have to pay.
    Be warned.

Stratbats and Lankytwang like this.
  4. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

For anyone with Medicaid or other gov't benefits like SNAP, they can get it half price.

In general, I think it's well worth it for the savings on shipping. Especially if you already purchase a lot through them. The movies and music are just a bonus.

You also get 2 free audiobooks from Audible. Since I'm a "Duane head", I got Gregg Allman's autobiography and Galadrielle Allman's book, 'Please Be With Me: A Song For My Father Duane Allman'. Bonus on that one. She reads its personally on Audible. As a father who's buried his daughter, I didn't make it through the first chapter because the heartache was just too much. Much of what she said hit home. Real hard.

Not sure why I shared that but I did.

5. Lankytwang

Lankytwang Strat-Talker

I've got prime via my daughter's account...and I have a firestick which I use occasionally...a lot of the stuff I would like to watch has to be rented or bought...and I just refuse to do that...!!.I don't order much from Amazon so for me it would probably not be worth it..but then again I'm not paying for it.;)

I also have Netflix via my granddaughters account ...I guess I'm just a tightwad:p

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Wound_Up likes this.
  6. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

We've had it for years. We live out in the boonies and the nearest bigger city is an hour or so away. Amazon and their quality has gone downhill. We don't bother with the movies or tv shows, despite their constant reminders that hey, you rubes, you're getting FREE programs here! I have downloaded probably three books in my entire life (I own thousands of real books) and I will say that Amazon has offered me the opportunity to buy every book I never thought I'd have the chance to do. (4 volume 1st edition Eugene Onegin; Singletons Dante, the Divine Comedy [my cousins brother, bless his heart: "Who wrote that?"]; the entire Diary of Samuel Pepys...)... But we have received 2 day shipping ONCE in all the years we've had Prime. It's usually 3 days... The last two years between 3 and 5 days... (This is all before the virus started.) I can live with that. But the packages have no packing in them at all, the new books arrive banged up, dirty, and looking like used copies. Yesterday I received the New Annotated Sherlock Holmes looking as if the volumes had been kicked around the warehouse floor before they were shipped. I quit ordering cds from Amazon years ago. Every CD arrived smashed and scratched due to faulty packaging. If I want one now I order through an independent seller. Which, of course, does not have the free shipping Amazon itself has. I order all guitar related stuff from Sweetwater. Free shipping, no fees, and here within one or two days, properly packed.

7. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Well Amazon Prime Is great you can Find so many items, We Buy a Lot of things From Amazon Shipping is awesome you get E-mail Notification when Its shipped and when youll be getting your parcel as for the TV that's also Great Some good TV shows and also It has Music Prime Its Like spotify So yes Pull the trigger ....Do it !! :thumb:

8. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Decided what the hell, signed up for Prime for a year instead of the monthly. I seem to be enjoying it so far so why not.

Baelzebub likes this.
  9. jtees4

jtees4 Strat-O-Master

Not worth it for me, But I do buy from them. I usually buy items with free shipping, or bundle for free shipping. I don't like feeling beholden to one company, I always shop around....especially since the invention of the internet (thank you Al GORE)....so much easier than the olden days.

10. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, but I've heard that any item that gets shipped in a red shirt can't be returned.

upload_2020-5-8_21-1-2.jpeg

circles likes this.
  11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

It's the same in the US too. Many movies are included with Prime, but there are some you still have to pay to rent or buy. Also, years ago, there was a TV show I was watching on Amazon Prime that was originally included with Prime, and then suddenly they changed that show so you'd have to buy it, even if you had Prime, so I was unable to keep watching it.

12. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-O-Master

Only last week we watched series one of a certain TV show included in prime. Clicked on series two and had to pay.

Stratbats likes this.
  13. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

One time payment of $ 119.

If you pay monthly, you can pay a total of $ 155 for that year. :whistling:

It over a week, here- since ALL my orders are for non-essential gear. :rolleyes:

14. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

You get free 2 day shipping, prime movies, and prime music. The last 2 are nice touches but not exactly deal makers. The shipping part saves me money each month and the fact that its fast is a huge bonus.

It all depends on how you use it.

15. CajunJ

CajunJ Strat-Talker

Yes.

16. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

I'm a little frustrated with Prime right now. I've watched all the decent shows that have new seasons in the last 2 months, oh wait there's only one, it's Bosch. If any other Prime members haven't noticed 2 day shipping isn't happening right now, not even close. I understand we are in the midst of a Worldwide crisis right now, but why am I paying $12.99 a month? It feels like charity for Amazon. And you know they definitely need it. If you haven't caught up on all the other decent shows or would like to go back and watch old series and movies then it might be worth it. I'm trying to think if their are any other shows I love on Prime, but "The Expanse" and "Bosch" is all I can think of.

There's my ***** for the day.

17. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-O-Master

You get access to 5 million songs for free with a Prime account. If you pay an extra $8 a month you get access to 60 million songs.

18. fos1

fos1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

It works for me and my wife. We also have Kindle Unlimited. We both read a large number of books. Much of the junk I buy is not available locally. The shipping isn't really free but is worked into the price. Amazon's large pool of vendors usually offers the best pricing. Originally Prime was only about $80 / year. Still a value for me at current price.

Don't think much of Bezos. Then again, I don't think much of Walmart either. Necessary evils. Walmart is currently the only grocery store in our little burb. :(

fos1

19. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

I had it for a while.............. got bored with it and let it lapse.

20. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

It's usually a timing thing... wait awhile and they stop charging.