Join Strat-Talk Today

Multi-effects processor

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thunderhopkins8, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Strat-O-Master

Yay or nay? If so, why?

BallisticSquid and circles like this.
  2. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Put me down for a "yay".

For me it started out as a way of experimenting with a large number of effects so I could decide what I wanted to purchase. It worked well enough that I just stuck with it.

When I started gigging, it made my guitar rig simple, portable, and flexible. I used the amp simulations as well and plugged straight into the PA.

ajb1965, duzie, Boognish and 2 others like this.
  3. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nay. Never found an interface I liked.

4. Thunderhopkins8

Which one did you use?

BallisticSquid likes this.
  5. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I was happy with my Boss GT6 when I was using it. Easy to use and sounded great for headphone practice.

its obviously outdated now but the current offerings are worlds better i'm sure. Love my Katana which in some ways is similar but the headphone out on that is lame IMO. so if i was looking for headphone practice options I'd look at their current floor FX lineup

Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  6. Thunderhopkins8

I’ve been eyeballing the Zoom G3 or G3xn. However, I’ve read multi effects units are complicated and take forever to learn how to use.

7. BallisticSquid

I started with a Zoom G5. I then upgraded to a Boss GT-100 which was what I used gigging. It has flexibility in the user interface that lends itself better to that situation.

The biggest mistake people used to make (and perhaps still do) is plugging it into the front of a guitar amp and expecting it to sound good. This will work well if you are only using the effects but amplifier simulations will sound harsh. This is why there is such a market for FRFR (flat response/full range) cabinets.

8. Thunderhopkins8

They’ll be using an amp model over the real thing lol

himijendrix and BallisticSquid like this.
  9. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Depends.

I've been eyeing the HX Effects as I have tube amps and I'm not sure I want to go the Helix route. The HX stomp is another consideration. But, I have had multieffects units in the past - it's been a while - that was not really pleased with.

I feel like this is a whole new ball game now though.

10. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

depends on the unit and how intuitive they are and how well you get on with that type of gear. I have no experience with the Zoom units but ive seen impressive demos. I found the GT6 to be very intuitive.

11. BallisticSquid

Seems obvious, but to a newbie like me 20 years ago, it wasn't. I figured if I set it clean and flat, it would all be good. It just gets kinda ok LOL.

I think part of the learning curve is knowing how the amps that are modeled work, how to manage your effects chain, etc. I had no idea about any of this stuff, especially effects chains and what should go where. Once I learned more about that stuff (thank you internet forums!) it made more sense and I could be more purposeful in dialing in my tones.

Once I understood it all better, I was able to get some nice tones out of my Zoom as well as the GT-100.

The Katana amps make it even easier...you can choose to just deal with the knobs and dial things in or dive in with Boss Tone Studio and really tweak things.

Thunderhopkins8 and Chont like this.
  12. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Yay for me! I have the HX Stomp and it works great for me....I only use it at home. Its intuitive and easy to use. To my ears, it sounds great but others may not like it. I have no idea what a Egnater or PRS Archon, or other "obscure" amp sounds like to be able to compare it to but I can sure dial in a tone I like!

Some are hindered by only being able to use 6 blocks or amp sims/pedal sims together. Works fine for me.

13. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

There is a whole lot of
    Intuitive
    Counter intuitive
    In the world today
    Everything
    From
    Lawnmowers
    To
    Inflatable dates
    To
    No cook Flan
    To
    Unauthorized Nukes...

14. WireLine

WireLine Strat-Talker

Old school multi effects here...Ibanez UE405 and UE305. Had a Roland GP8 decades ago, sounded great, biggest PITA to tweak.

Been threatening to get an HX Effects for quite some time - will trade a bunch of analog goodies to get one.

15. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Can be great. Especially in a band situation where you need lots of different sounds.

16. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

I tried a few and didn't like them. Too harsh, electronic sounding. Amp modelling is a joke, why should I spend £xxxx on quality amps only to buy a box that the manufacturer thinks can do a better job? (it can't).

These days I'm happy with a Tubescreamer and a Crybaby, that's it.

17. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

GP8 then ME80 then Katana. All work fine for me. All fairly compact and mostly set and forget unless I bought a new guitar that needed them tweaked.

18. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Strat-O-Master

I dont hate them, but I don't use them. Mainly, because I have a footlocker full of stompbox pedals from over 40 years of playing.

19. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Not for me. Multi Fx IME do lots of things decently but nothing great. Since I only use a few pedals I'd rather have the "best delay", "best fuzz" and "best boost" I can find vs. one pedal that does all three just ok.

20. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Inflatable dates? :thumbd:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.