Join Strat-Talk Today

Multi-effects processor

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thunderhopkins8, Jul 10, 2019.

1. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

i love the 500x for sitting around the house or into the computer recording.....but I never liked it for live stuff.
    I have a helix lt that I haven't even really messed with yet.
    later ill mess with it ans see if its THAT MUCH BETTER then the 500x. I have my doubts......but I was wrong once......back in about 1995.

johnnymg and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I recently tried a G3N and thought it was an OK effects unit. Tones were good and the interface was decent. I ultimately returned it because it didn't have quite enough horse-power (series effects) for what I was looking for.
    From my review: "The main issue is the limited effects number when you factor in that many effects use '2 blocks'."

If you're OK with modest effects sets, any of these lower end units will work fine. If you want real full board equivalent effects (in a single unit) I think you have to step up to the $1+K level: Helix LT, Boss 1000, etc.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  3. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I use a Zoom G3xn. At Euroguestock we play a lot of covers and it allows me to pre-set a bunch of sounds for numerous songs and switch between them easily. The tones are pretty good, and the interface is all knob-driven, which is great for an old school guy like me. I use it in the mode that makes it work like a bunch of pedals, so I can switch effects on and off on the buttons.

With that I can plug in to any borrowed amp in the studio and get pretty close - handy when you travel by train! I'm thinking of getting a VOX MV50 so I have a complete fly rig.

Thunderhopkins8 and duzie like this.
  4. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-Talker

I had a horrible sounding Marshall Lead 12 amp to start with (hand-me-down from an uncle) so bought a Zoom G2 to use for distortion and delay...

Before long, I'd stopped using the Marshall and was just going direct into the Zoom with headphones on.

IIRC, that was a great little unit for such a low price (especially for 15 or so years ago).

5. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

I have a Zoom G5n and it gets an A+ for being intuitive. I barely scanned the manual and got the hang of it really quick but I have seen other ME units that either require too much drill down or do not have a good visual way to see what is active. The G5n has a really simple control to go from bank to bank of patches and to each patch in a bank (4 per bank). It has 4 stomp/control sections that basically are each an effects pedal with a stomp switch and typical dials (plus a window to show the particulars of a given pedal's dials). It also has an expression pedal and the ability to plug in a second one. The signal chain is displayed graphically in a long window. You can have up to 9 effects in a signal chain and any 4 are mapped to the pedals, you choose which 4 by just using a foot control to slide left or right in the graphic signal chain.The signal chain can also include non-pedal things like amps, cabs, drums so you just want to group the most likely pedals to need on/off stomping and keep them mapped to the 4 actual stompbox sections (see the 4 white pedal icons in the signal chain display below).
    You're probably saying that it is NOT very intuitive because of my description but it's more of a "try it and see what I mean" kind of thing, you just do it a couple of times and you just understand it, at least the basics.
    The G5n is Zoom's flagship unit currently and for about USD $300, they do have other less featured units in the $100 and $200 range. But since an ME unit is such a deal in terms of effects/$ I would go for as much as you can afford. And it is built like a tank, all metal construction.
    Zoom G5n.PNG

6. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

Yay, convenience is one reason, the other is cost, try buying all the pedals included in say, the Helix, all those pedals would come to ~4 times the cost of the Helix.

They generally offer amp sims now too, so you no longer need an amp if the house has a decent system.

Downside for me is all my eggs are in one basket, so if I actually played live or toured I would have 2 of them.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

I plan on using the helix for a backup unit. just in case. course I gotta learn it first.
    I let jimmy hold on to that 500x for the same reason.

8. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

I’m happy with the zoom g3n and yeah that G5n looks sweet!
    Like nutball73 says it’s pretty easy to use sounds decent through a P.A. or the solid state amp that I use .
    +1 on portability.
    With the zoom lab software you can download more presets or setup your own easily right on your computer and save them to the unit .

9. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Nay, for I desire to have all the twiddly things in a tangled mess right in front of me with instant
    access and no scrolling. It shouldn't all be buried in there in one place.

10. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

I would add one amusing experience I just had, I use that Helix and have all sorts of doo dads for the guitar, then I bought a good amp and plugged a good guitar straight in...

Well now that just sounds better than the sims and pedals... why did I need all that crap again?

11. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

I never even looked at the Helix manual, it took me maybe an hour to learn everything I needed, it does more but I don't use the other stuff yet.

12. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

Yep one really good feature (to my ears) on the Zoom is the MIC switch on the cab emulators. It's supposed to give you a mic'ed cabinet sound as opposed to a cable connected sound. If you turn it on when going through a mixer into monitors or a PA you get a really good wider, fuller, more expanded sound than when plugging into an amp. I guess that's because you really shouldn't use the amp & cab emulators when plugging into an amp so that makes sense to me. When I've plugged into an amp, I use effects but no amps/cabs and it sounds as good as the amp I am using can sound. If you play with headphones, use an amp & cab with the MIC set on and it really, really sounds good in your phones. It's a pretty impressive unit if you use it right. Not a Helix by any means but it's $300 versus $1500 so don't expect a Helix.

Thunderhopkins8 and duzie like this.
  13. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-O-Master

I know right! Got me. Has a ring to it.

14. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Yep, I use a Vox Tonelab EX,,,with pedals in front of it.

I like a mutli-effect to combine tuner, volume, reverb, delay, & compressor into a single unit. The Tonelab has very usable dirt choices so I use that and I also have a patch for Wah. The Wah isn't great, but serviceable enough for rock gigs. I don't use many of the other effects, I guess they're fine to play with at home. What I like is to hit a single button and have lots of things change at once if need be. Rebuilding everything with pedals and a switcher would be unnecessary $$$.

If need be, I can go into the house but prefer to use the 'fender amp' output switch to go into one of my tube amps. IMO it sounds ridiculously good.

I use the 'fender amp' emulated out, not direct. I really don't know what my sounds are based on anymore,,,I think the base clean ton is a Fender, my base dirty are Marshall JMP...don't remember cab selections.

I run Phaser and Vibe in front of it and also a TS9 and Mini Spark for on-the-fly extra gristle.

All that said, I could up with two channel amp and a TS9 and be fairly happy. As it stands, I'm keeping one eye open for a good deal on another Tonelab to have if/when mine dies.

pedal board 2.jpg

15. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Oh, it's not just dates. They do inflatable figs and plums, as well. ;)

16. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

I like them from the standpoint of getting to experiment with loads of effects and having presets but....

I while I always thought I would get to a place where I would have specific presets for special songs I found myself getting lost in a tweaking rabbit hole becaise i was never fully happy with the sound of my presets so I was constantly tweaking them.

In the end I think it just came down to multieffects lacking the sound quality I wanted to hear. It was close but came up just short in my opinion. I think of it this way...the Leatherman multitool is a great tool that no one should be without but if I've got a professional job to do like building a deck or reshingling a roof I'm not gonna reach for the Leatherman because the quality of a purpose built tool is almost always better.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Stratoskater and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  17. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

I'm always interested in them, but knob-twiddling and menu-scrolling really aren't that much fun for me. However, I have lately been using a Tech 21 RK5 lately between the guitar and amp. I find that the effects it provides (delay, reverb, SansAmp tone-shaping, overdrive, and boost) are sufficient for the vast majority of what I'm normally playing.

18. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

I’m not sure that you can put a ring on your inflatable date! :eek::p

Yuk!

19. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Lars.jpg

20. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Lovely image. Clearly, you have a lot of experience in these matters! But I do have to say that you’re better looking than I imagined:rolleyes: :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.