Join Strat-Talk Today

Multi-effects processor

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thunderhopkins8, Jul 10, 2019.

1. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-O-Master

RULE: do not take digital pedalboards with integrated expression pedal. Take the version without pedal and buy an external expression pedal. It's cheaper and if the pedal brokes you just have to change it.

Nadnitram, Thunderhopkins8 and Chont like this.
  2. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have often wanted to ditch my monster board in favor of a MultiFX, but so often it seems like if you want to tweak anything on the fly you have to deep dive into software settings, and it in the heat of battle that really isn't feasible - so much easier to just reach down and tweak a knob on a pedal.
    Whenever I find a MultiFX that looks intriguing, the first thing I do is check out the owners manual online - when I feel my brain starting to hurt 1 or 2 pages in the interest fades...

3. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd say Yay, but be aware of the caveats. I've had several (L6 POD, Vox Tonelab, GT-1, GT-100, Helix, HX Effects) and they all collectively sounded great, but each one had one area that I felt could have been better at. If you don't have a PC handy patch editing can be laborious and hard on your back hunched over it for 30 minutes lol.

Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  4. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Yay. I gigged with a Zoom Gfx-8 for years and still would (not currently gigging) if I didn't have my current pedal board. While they may not (or may) sound perfect on everything, they just give you such a palette for your set-list. I had it pre-programmed for the sounds I needed for each song we played. Next song, hit a pedal and go. Easy Peasy and sounded good enough for bar gigs. The thing I liked best was I could use a cable to connect to computer and adjust each patch exactly how I wanted without sitting by the board punching buttons and adjusting knobs. Had to use a midi cord and adapter to do that, though. I assume newer ones (this one was from about 2000--ancient technology) would use a USB cable.
    I still have it just in case the band reforms and we play one of our old set lists.

5. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

Yay, BUT....

1. The nicer they are, the steeper the learning curve is.
    2. Until you get your sound really dialed in, they can sound very "thin"
    3. $$$
    4. You can get 95%, 99%, maybe even 99.9% of the sound of real pedals and tube amps, but never 100% (but you actually might like the sound you get BETTER than your analog gear!)

6. billgwx

billgwx Strat-Talker

Yea. BOSS GT-100 for effects only, no amp modeling, into a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40 amp. Allows me to control the amp via MIDI and have all the presets I need for performance. My only complaint is that some digital effects don't track very well (especially synth, pitch shift, and octaver) or can sound "pixelated" when effects are placed in a certain order.

I used to use the GT-100's amp modeling running into a Fender Supersonic amp set on clean, but I was never quite happy with the results. Different story with the HK, as long I run things in 4-cable mode (4CM for short), so things like compression and overdrive are in the signal path ahead of the HK's preamp, and modulation effects coming after.

There are controllers that can swap various individual effects pedals in/out of the signal path, but the effects settings themselvs can't be changed. So I've always wondered why there aren't individual pedals with MIDI switching capability, to allow changes on-the-fly via MIDI controller? That to me would make the ultimate multi-effects setup.

7. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Strat-O-Master

How’s the GM Deluxe 40 sound? I was wanting one about a year or so ago.

8. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

I kinda liked the tone I was getting in this St challenge. it was the 500x.

Thunderhopkins8 and duzie like this.
  9. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Totally agree! I started with ZOOM, but if you're going to use digital multis you need to know IN ADVANCE what sound you want. If you're playing covers you can set it all up at home, but when you need that extra bit of tone, just hit that analogue pedal! BTW, I'm still using an Ibanez PUE5.

10. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I have been playing through my RP-360 a lot lately. It's just so convenient, especially once you tweak your own sounds.

11. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I used to use a Boss ME10. It was the 90’s, I was playing in a lot of bands and I had set up a handful of goto patches that worked well. I ran it stereo, right into the board a lot of times. I sold it but if I still had it, I’d pare back on the effects and it would probably do the job for me.

Today, I’m happier with a small grab and go board, my 15 watt tube head and a cabinet. I’m using a Mesa dual 12 in cab at the moment. I like the more stripped back sound of a Strat into a compressor, a touch of delay, a touch of reverb. I’ll add stacked overdrives to add a little bite, and more.

Looks like this these days.

0AD1B158-5C07-4080-ADD3-0F4A126C008E.jpeg

duzie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.