Join Strat-Talk Today

Multi Guitar Stand

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Synapse2k, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Strat-O-Master

I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not so please forgive me if it isn't. I checked out the list of sections but didn't find anything for accessories.

I'm looking to get one or two multi guitar stands. I would order the cheap ones from Amazon but I remember reading a few years back that people have had issues with the foam staining the paint jobs on their guitars. Where can I find a stand that can fit 3 to 5 guitars (to hold acoustic and electric) that is safe on nitro and poly finishes?

Thanks for all the help.

2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

I've only heard of issues with nitro finish. I use several of them with poly finish guitars, I've had no problems. I imagine that even if they were stained, it would be an easy clean up anyway. It's probably best to hold a nitro finished necks or bodies with some sort of fine cloth covering to reduce friction, or whatever bad reaction it is they have with the foam and/or rubber padding. Some have claimed that even the inside of the guitar case wore down the nitro.

3. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Mod Admin

Reaction between the foam padding and nitro actually melts the lacquer, it'll do the same to acrylic lacquer.

4. Fender Bender

Fender Bender Strat-O-Master

5. o6 oly white

o6 oly white Strat-O-Master

Check out hurcules stands. I have had no problems, and these are built like tanks.

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I often read about this, but I have never had a problem with any guitar finish reacting with any stand or hanger.

7. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525 Strat-Talk Supporter

Maybe it depends on the humidity? I've never had a problem with my 5 guitar cheapie.

8. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Koning & Meyer makes a multi-guitar stand that is said to be nitro-safe and gets very good reviews for strength and durability. I've been thinking about picking one up myself, will post thoughts if I do.

9. davidKOS

davidKOS sheltered Strat-Talk Supporter

10. stratistically

stratistically Strat-O-Master

I think that reaction with nitro (and it seems from an earlier post, poly also) has a lot to do with how long the two objects are in contact. Maybe weeks or months at a time would produce a negative result, but a couple of hours at a gig or between playing sessions won't cause any harm. Of course, if the guitar lives on a stand when not in use some kind of protection may be in order.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

If it happens over a long period of time though, it's happening over a short period of time as well. Who knows what the cumulative effects will be?
    I'd make sure to one that's nitro safe if that's at all a concern.

12. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Strat-O-Master

Thanks for the suggestions. The folding cases are better since the inside is lined with the same material as hard shell cases instead of the guitar resting on foam. Is that correct?

I actually do plan on leaving guitars in there for extended periods of time. The Hercules 5-guitar stand (http://amzn.com/B004P0MWCU) is about $40 cheaper but I like how the folding cases above have straps to avoid accidental falls.

13. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

I have a nitro finished strat, and it lives in a Hercules stand and the finish remains as new. The stand holds the guitar at the headstock, there is no way for it to fall out (I guess you could knock the whole thing over, but that would take some significant boneheadedness)

14. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Strat-O-Master

I was thinking about this hercules stand as I need 2 multi guitar stands to hold about 10 guitars

[​IMG]

15. normj

normj Strat-O-Master

It can happen fairly quickly. I have seen the damage. I have seen several guitars with a nitro finish that had to have the finish repaired. I don't know if they still do it, but Fender used to put a warning tag inside the case with any nitro finished guitar. It is a serious issue.

16. normj

normj Strat-O-Master

I have four of the stands similar to this style that hold 7 guitars each. The stands do not provide any protection for the guitar. After getting some serious scratches and chips, I no longer keep any of my better guitars in the stands. I store them in their cases. While handy for short term use, such as at a gig or practice session, these are not necessarily a good idea for storing your guitars.

17. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

They do indeed still include that warning note.

I have three nitro-finished guitars in my regular rotation. I would not buy a guitar stand that was not clearly stated to be nitro-safe, preferably backed up by reviews. (I don't even own a stand at the moment, the guitars just live in their cases, but I'm not in a gigging band right now.)

18. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

I should add that while mine lives in it's stand, there are only two adults in the house and it's in a room that only I use. I think otherwise it would be in it's case.

19. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525 Strat-Talk Supporter

Just found this on ebay. But it's a heavy guitar and possibly the worst colour for picking up contamination....

Attached Files:

20. libertarian

libertarian Strat-O-Master

Been there done that. Frankly, most of them are not great. Not just because of the potential reaction with the various rubbers and plastics used but also considering how flimsy most of the cheap ones are these days. And by that I mean not just for stage use but even at home.

I have an old Warwick "Rockstand" from the 90s (the 5-guitar version). That one was rock solid. When I bought a second one recently as the 9-guitar version it turned out to be a wobbly little bugger that did not really resemble the original anymore. I was able to dig up a company that still had the old version in their warehouse but even then the 9 guitar version is not as stable as the old 5.

I currently leave the new one at home and take the old 5-rack to gigs. But next on my list is something like this:

Grundorf ProGSCG Guitar Stand Case

Guitar Cases : Pro Series : PRO-GSC

The Roadrunner versions and it derivatives look like this but are very flimsy. You get what you pay for sometimes.

Something like this takes away the concern about ruining the finish or guitars falling out of the stand because the drunk singer tripped over it again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.