multi tonal neck

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by thedrill, Jun 11, 2015.

1. thedrill

thedrill Strat-Talk Member

im thinkin on starting to plan a build, and i've got in my head a multi tonal fret board. anyone know anyplace might sell multi tonal necks? i've made necks before, but
    multi tonal is a lot more fret work than i want to get into, especially with how multi, multi tonal i want to make it

2. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

That's an interesting idea. Personally, I can barely handle playing just the 12 notes per octave. I don't know what I'd do with quarter tones or smaller. But I admire your ambition.

I doubt there's anyone making production necks like that so you're talking about custom stuff (expen$ive!) I'd start with an already fretted cheap Chinese neck and add frets to it and level.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I agree with Fumbler. That's probably your best bet.
    Ibanez makes what they call the Oriental Series that offers quarter tones, but no manufacturer that I know of that offers finer divisions than that, and if you look at their fretboard you see it gets difficult to make room for the additional frets as you work your way up:
    http://www.theguitarcolumn.com/2011/04/ibanez-oriental-series-extra-fretted.html
    What sort of music are you trying to play?
    I don't want to sound patronizing , but have you tried just using a slide?

EDIT: I'll dig some more; I didn't see anything on their site, but check out the link above.

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

Or perhaps playing fretless? There are a few in manufacture, notably by Vigier and I've heard them played to impressive effect. (Not by me though!)

5. thedrill

thedrill Strat-Talk Member

thats for the replies, ill check the website.

ive played a multi tonal guitar, had maybe 15 or little more extra frets ,some the extra frets were under 3 or 4 strings , some were under just 1 string. i was pokeing around on youtube other night and found this guy, the first guitar he plays is similar to theone i played, its the second 1 he playes,the 1 with a million frets is what i want to try, just wanting to try somethin new. and im just insane enuff to pull it off.
    here's the tube vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRsSjh5TTqI

think i attached the youtube address rite, never tried before. if does work, sorry, it's my first day...

6. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

Wow! He can really make something beautiful with that second guitar. I'm guessing the correct position for the frets on that guitar are somewhere on-line, or would be made available to you if you contacted the guy who made that video. Good luck with this one because it's not going to be easy, but the rewards may be very special.

7. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

I'm sure it's one of those childhood exposure things (like learning to ski or speak mandarin). It you didn't do it at a young age then it's far harder to hear anything other than the standard western 12-tone scale.

Consequently, those pieces that the guy in the YouTube played sounded to me like totally normal classical pieces played on a slightly out-of-tune guitar. I kept thinking "gee, that guy is a good player but I'd much rather hear him play that piece on a guitar that wasn't broken."

Intellectually, I realize there's a whole spectrum of frequencies within a semi-tone but my gut just tells me "out-of-tune." It's hard to escape a cage that you grew up in and you don't even know is there.