Music Store Floor Models...Not Good!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratfanGB, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Been round this one many times. Different stores have different approaches, except, it seems for Guitar Centre where the consensus seems to be they couldn’t set up a guitar if they wanted to. My view is that a basic ‘average’ set up, checked after it’d been on the wall for a while and settled, is about right and would probably result in more sales, even impulse buys.

StummerJoe and Tone Deaf like this.
  2. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

OR,
    Is it just that those who work in those brick & mortar stores just don’t know HOW to do proper guitar setups?

IF I was a store manager, I would want my salespersons doing setups and tunings during slow times....
    and don’t tell me they never have slow times. Setup knowledge would be a requisite for hire.

JDug likes this.
  3. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

When I apprenticed for Dave Bunker Sr. at Bunker Guitars one of my jobs was to make sure every guitar was in tune when I got there first thing in the morning. I took that ethic with me when we parted ways and I went to work in a retail store. The other guys thought I was nuts. And when I found a guitar that didn't feel good I took it to my bench without having to be asked. I know the owner appreciated it because he gave me better than employee deals on anything I bought.

Yes, it is very simple. If you want to sell guitars make sure the buyer doesn't want to put it down. It's not rocket surgery. Some folks are just lazy and apathetic.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  4. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Not every sales rep or guitar player is cut out to tech and not all techs make good sales people.

I know this from experience.

Tone Deaf and Bob the builder like this.