Join Strat-Talk Today

Music Taste Changes Like Taste Buds

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Sep 27, 2019.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

It's weird that everyone hates the Nuge nowadays, but back it the day he was so popular, he even had his own pinball machine!

gettyimages-856372596-1024x1024.jpg

dbolt, 3bolt79, CB91710 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Not weird in any sense....

Most of us were punk asses when we were young and then strove to grow up. Therefore, we find some people that have not grown up hard to stand.

3. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

They're good pop. I watched the movie the other night and sang along to them, to the great annoyance of my kids.
    My husband has the cd.

4. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-Talker

Oh heck no! I was born in 1970 and Uncle Ted kicks arse....!

3bolt79 and CB91710 like this.
  5. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Was Heart a 'chick' band? If so then I have no problem with liking chick bands. So all the members have to be female before it is consider a chick band?

6. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Not all man. But i love all chick bands.....

3bolt79 and Bowmap like this.
  7. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

That's what's happening most likely.

Bowmap and CB91710 like this.
  8. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Ha! Ha! +1 here
    With my mates it was Sex pistols etc...
    in hiding I was well into Prog Rock

3bolt79 and Mansonienne like this.
  9. Willmunny

Willmunny Strat-Talker

As I have matured my musical taste has expanded exponentially. Since I picked up a guitar 3 years ago I listen to music differently on some level as well

10. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I had older siblings that listened to classical, jazz, blues, rock...this is the sound track of my life.

11. 98bigapple

98bigapple Strat-Talker

I'm am 55 and have tastes change a bit over the years but I still enjoy the same stuff a loved in younger days. I have grown in what I enjoy and listen to a wider range of music than I did years ago.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. TinyTree

TinyTree Strat-Talker

Thank you! Esquire actually, I think you've complimented it once before too! That means a lot to me, truly! I've yet to play a real 52, only touched the CS ones made in the likeness of em and even they're outstanding, I can't imagine what the real deal's like. That must've been something unreal. Lucky!

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. knotanother1

knotanother1 Strat-Talk Member

John Mayall and the Blues Breakers is where it began, then southern rock and then tie it all neatly together with progress country (ie:southern rock revisited) all guitar driven stuff.

14. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talk Member

My music tastes have become more "refined" over the years, and some things I used to like I now recognize as somewhat juvenile (from my middle-age perspective), yet the really good stuff has tended to remain good over the decades. I find what I liked the best in my younger years I still like the best... and have simply added to that list.

The main thing I have discovered are genres of music I do not like at all. Since I was raised in an household that enjoyed a wide variety of music, I learned to enjoy everything from classical to rock to country to folk and more. But even though I have tried to understand and appreciate it, to this day I have little use for metal/acid rock or rap. There are 2 or 3 songs in each group I do enjoy (Gangster's Paradise, Welcome to the Jungle to name two), but for the most part those ultra-popular genres leave me cold. Oddy I really like "Hey, Ya" and "Crazy" and many other modern music options, but when I hear someone driving down the road playing something where the bass is so loud one can't hear the melody, my first thought is, "Why don't you just beat on a log?" My personal, subjective bias based on a strong perception of "music propaganda". "Hey y'all, this here MUSIC, yah!"

No, it isn't. I've heard musicians, and that ain't it. In my humble opinion. I am sure others will strongly disagree. I am both astounded and concerned that rap has hung on as long as it has. I honestly expected it to fizzle like disco, but it's hung in there. I have a feeling that as much due to environmental issues as anything; what one grows up hearing, the mind adapts to. I know some folks who like only rap or only metal because that's all they've ever been exposed to... and I consider that sad.

What's interesting is that music that I found great when I was young, is now making a strong comeback in remakes, as the new generation discovers the same greatness and makes it their own. Seldom do I find the remakes as good as the originals, but the feeling, tone and music is there. Better than incomprehensibly changing monotone rhymes and obscenities to a beat, I say with heavy attitude. Or alternately, screaming into a mike and setting the amp dials on 11. ; )

A music teacher once said, "Good music is timeless. That which is not fizzles out quickly." Have to agree.

15. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

That's me with Allman Brothers

16. Oiram

Oiram New Member!

Good job that you feel mature at 30, I'm nearly 50 and still feeling far from being grown up. I guess that reflects to my choices in music, as I swing from jazz and bossa nova to death metal, dub and free improv. And anything in between. If you're bored of Jump, try listening to some "Skyscraper" With David Lee Roth and Steve Vai.

Hedgehogz70 likes this.
  17. marcjoe

marcjoe Strat-Talk Member

I find it very interesting that it's not only the "listeners" that experience change in taste of music but also the artists themselves. Fans often like to keep their heros in a corner of style of music that they're used to and that they like - and then rant about the new so and so album that just isn't so and so any more.

I find it very appealing if bands manage to incorporate different styles of music without completely loosing their roots - which sometimes still happens over a period of time.

An example of such a process to me is the work of the band "Opeth". I can listen to all of their albums and appreciate them, but the more recent ones are just so much more open to all kinds of influences - amazing.

I just can't stop listening to their album "Pale Communion". I just love that guitar tone and Songwriting.

18. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Interesting point you made about Opeth as I used to consider myself a big fan (yes, I'm firmly in Old Opeth camp). I tried to convinced myself that they, or any band for that matter, has every right to change as they see fit but also felt a little ripped off from a fan standpoint. I mean if they were going to drastically changed their style, why even keep the same name if not just to keep riding on the name recognition? The same thing happened with bands like Ulver and Santa Cruz...they both built a nice little following on a certain style, got popular, then changed everything up. As a fan you are almost left standing there like wtf and half telling yourself, this is just a experimental phase they are going through, they'll go back to 'normal' after this' haha..

marcjoe likes this.
  19. marcjoe

marcjoe Strat-Talk Member

I'm happy that I like pretty much all of their work, but at the same time totally hear you.

With Opeth though I don't think they kept their name simply because of recognition. When you listen to interviews with Mikael Åkerfeldt you get the feeling that the same thing that the thread is about happened to him. And from what I felt when listening chronologically through their album that change didn't happen all at once. To my ears it's more of a gradual process.

Me, I really like that, but for fans of only the old stuff - yes, I guess it's a bit sad.

sam_in_cali likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.