Music you thought sucked but, in hindsight....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by amstratnut, Jun 10, 2021 at 10:04 AM.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

For instance, I hated Disco, Punk, New Wave, you name it. If it wasnt Led Zep, Hendrix, prog or Jazz, it sucked. Was definitely a jazz/musicianship snob.

First time I heard The Cars, their hooks and melodies sounded so easy. The guitar solos were too short and not flashy enough.

Now I think Elliott Easton is a genius.

I HATED disco when I was in high school. In fact I hated anything that I perceived as not-serious music. Now I play in a disco band and am having a blast!

My best friend loved a band called the Soft Boys in the 80s. Again, I couldnt be bothered. It was new wave to me. Now, those songs seem pretty cool, in a not on the radio much kinda way.

How about you?

2. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

There's good music and the other kind.

And Elliot is a good friend of mine. He can out-flash just about anyone...if he wants to. I've been in the room playing with him. He can play anything. But he plays for the song. He's equal parts George Harrison and Jeff Beck.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

ive always liked any music that sounded good to me no matter what people chose to call it.

4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

In a way, so did I. I loved Donna Summer but hated Sister Sledge, just a teen perception of what is cool and what is not.

5. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    New Wave. I was a snob in high school (late 80s), classic rock, Dylan, Springsteen, Tom Petty, etc. New stuff was terrible. I've come to realize the error of my ways. I also like yacht rock. And country. And dance. And 80s-2000s hip hop. My horizons have broadened significantly, lol

6. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

It's not so much genres with me. It's the songs.

Nate D, abnormaltoy, gerryl98 and 8 others like this.
  7. heltershelton

its funny.....i seem to like the same things now that i liked then.
    i think there is good and bad stuff in all so called styles of music.

Nate D, abnormaltoy, 3bolt79 and 3 others like this.
  8. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Disco is probably the obvious one for me. I was a young kid when the disco era hit and liked a lot of it...until I got a little older and then found out the rules said you couldn't like both disco and rock so I threw disco under the bus. It turned out I was wrong as much of 70s disco was not much more than R&B. If you want to work on your rhythm chops, it's not a bad genre to play as you have to keep that groove going or it falls apart.

New wave is another one. I can't say I hated it but I was off in a different direction in the early 80s so I didn't pay much attention to it. For weeks I've been listening to the 1st Wave channel on SiriusXM and it's opened me up to a lot of cool stuff I missed the first time around.

9. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I had this too. When I was younger I had my crowd that I ran with and I made the mistake of letting them define what was cool. Now that I'm older and just plain cool all by myself I'm finding out how much I missed out on. It's so much more liberating just being a goofball or whatever you want to name being yourself and like what you like than it is to worry about what anyone else thinks.
    There is a ton of great music that I missed oit on. Fortunately, I am learning lots of new to me older sfuff.
    Though I still can't stand most disco or most new wave stuff, there are some exceptions.

Nate D, abnormaltoy, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  10. heltershelton

then kiss threw a wrench in that theory, lol.....

Exhead, Nate D, abnormaltoy and 4 others like this.
  11. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

LOL...I still love that song. KISS had their own split of fans and haters independent of genres. I was more of a casual fan back in the day and later got more into them when they took the makeup off.

12. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I am less judgmental now than I was when I used to be. I can appreciate artistry and craft in places I didn't I was young. There is good music in every single genre. There's a lot of crap too, of course. Becoming more serious as a player has helped me appreciate musicianship more.

13. heltershelton

alot of metalheads didn't know WHAT to do when dynasty was released.

abnormaltoy and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Yeah I imagine the diehard KISS army were all WTF over it. I wasn't quite at that level of fandom and given I was only 11 or 12 when it came out, I was ok with it. I think it wasn't until I was in 8th grade or so where I really joined the "Disco Sucks" crusade.

15. heltershelton

yet listened to that song when noone else was around, lol

abnormaltoy, 3bolt79 and Mouse like this.
  16. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

For me it was the song “Then she kissed me” that threw me. ( I am to this day a KISS collector and a huge fan)

I have a pic of me back in the day wearing a “Death before Disco” shirt .
    Not a disco fan to this day…however for some strange reason I know the songs and the lyrics…My answer is know the enemy…lol
    Also not a Country fan…

However have come to realize…shudder…that some of the New Wave material was good. There is hope for dinosaurs to evolve..:)

abnormaltoy, 3bolt79, jd35801 and 2 others like this.
  17. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Nope, I was right all along.

18. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Yeah I've come around on a few genres but haven't quite gotten there with country. I can appreciate it and some of the player are incredible but it just doesn't speak to me. Whatever country I do like probably wouldn't be called country by country purists as it veers too close to rock.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 5:51 PM
  19. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

There have been plenty of pop type hits that I dismissed as “just pop” because I figured I was too cool for them.

Stonetone and 3bolt79 like this.
  20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I am a lot more willing to give things a chance now than I was then so I like a lot more stuff.

Just me, but I have some very strong reactions to some kinds of shtick and persona and I had a lot of trouble enjoying metal because I really found the strutting testosterone preening tiresome. Honestly, still bugs me. :D

I do have to sense some kind of sense of humor or good vibe and, since I am older and wiser, I "get it" way more often than I used to.

BuddyHollywood and 3bolt79 like this.