Music you thought sucked but, in hindsight....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by amstratnut, Jun 10, 2021 at 10:04 AM.

1. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talker

2. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Late 70s, hated this genre at the time, but I know now what effort & skill it took in it's composition.

Jimi Lightning and Buzzgrowl like this.
  3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Disco
    Because it was everywhere
    Seemingly even in your breakfast cereal...(got over it)

Now
    Rap & Hip-Hop (ST rules & decency constrain me)

4. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

Back in the day, this one used to make me cringe. But now I'm quite fond of it.

5. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I'm starting to like some of the '80s power ballads. Never listened to the radio back then and I was focused on the metal of the day and the shredders. Now I've got an easy listening channel tuned in and I'm digging stuff by Chicago, Roxette, and yes, Richard Marx. My fiance can't believe I never heard a lot of this stuff when it was popular.

At least people could really sing back then. Somehow in the '90s we embraced off-key singing and a bunch of Axl Rose wannabes, and I'm kinda done with that.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

I used to hold early 80's sappy pop (Simple Minds, Dexy's Midnight Runners, etc.) in utter contempt.

Now, okay, it's still lousy music, but it reminds me of when I was 18, 19, years old. Young. Thin. Better hair. Still believed in stuff.

The nostalgia has overwhelmed the contempt.

7. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

80’s synth-pop are great! Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, A-ha, Depeche Mode +++

8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I was not very fond of either The Police or Tom Petty when they came out. I've rethought that stance now

BuddyHollywood and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

The Smiths. Then again, Morrisey will start talking and remind me again what I didn't like in the first place. I do appreciate Johnny Marr in a way I didn't before.

JAMES

10. T-Rey

T-Rey StealYourFace Silver Member

I was a huge metalhead when I was a teen in the 80's. Anything else just seemed stupid and not worth my precious time. There were a lot of progressive/college type bands from back then that the preppy kids listened to, so of course we hated. I hate that I backed myself into that corner now because a lot of that stuff is awesome and I missed out on it when it was current.

Stonetone, Deafsoundguy and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

For me, strangely, I hated county music when I was young. However, by the early 90s I was sold. I'm not a huge fan of modern country, but country from the late 80s-2015 I liked a lot. To me, It's kinda gone down hill in recent years.

3bolt79 and jd35801 like this.
  12. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

I know this wasn't one of the bands you mentioned, but given a second listen, I'm ready to argue A Flock of Seagulls was as much a guitar band as a synth band.

JAMES

WelhavenT and BuddyHollywood like this.
  13. of this world

of this world Strat-Talker

Opera. even as a grownup i claimed to hate it... i worked at a chain record store when Three Tenors was moving units... bleeccch.

but now all of a sudden its beautiful to me... and youtube is full of various companies around the world posted livestreams of full length operas... a nice alternative to netflix

amstratnut, 3bolt79 and Cali Dude like this.
  14. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Senior Stratmaster

Ahhh music and food. Brussel sprouts are actually good. Who would have thought?!

3bolt79, jd35801 and amstratnut like this.
  15. velvet_man

velvet_man Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like teenage me in the 90s. If it wasn't metal, it was crap. I eventually discovered how good all that other non-metal stuff is, though. But I still can't get into jazz...

T-Rey, 3bolt79 and Cali Dude like this.
  16. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-Talker

For me: The 80's Hair Bands.

Compared to [most] of the stuff churned out today, sounds genius!

17. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I never thought it sucked but when I was a teen I got sick of hearing The Foo Fighters all the time. All their songs sounded the same to me and thought it was generic but now in hindsight I really like them and understand what Dave Grohl was going for.

Jimi Lightning and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

In the 70's I was a clueless kid looking for something mystical or some kind of "profound" message in music, so I only cared about genres and bands that I perceived to run along those lines - prog (Yes, Early Genesis, Tull, Uriah Heep), hard rock (Zeppelin, Purple, Heart), Fusion Jazz (Stanley Clarke, Dimeola, Chic Corea), and things like that. Disco, punk, pop, etc., appeared superficial and overly materialistic.

With the years I outgrew the silly need to look for deep messages in music and learned to appreciate it for what it is. Like others said, there is good music and there is crap, the genre is of no consequence when it comes to quality. Today I have a library that spans all genres, nationalities, ethnicities, and content. And if something is good, even when it might not be my cup of tea, I can still appreciate it as something that is good.

19. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I wonder if Ill like current music more at some point?

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

For me the profoundness of music speaks for itself. Even if its only meant to entertain. But, yeah at the time, if it wasn't serious I wasn't into it.

Stonetone, 3bolt79 and jd35801 like this.