Music you thought sucked but, in hindsight....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by amstratnut, Jun 10, 2021.

1. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

Hall And Oates. As a kid it was ubiquitous pop music for boring adults. I didnt hate it, they were just FM radio background music. Pleasant. Now, as a boring adult, I can completely see how actually and really good they were, and not just John Oates and Daryl Hall, but every iteration of band they had, both studio and touring. Also, they are a bit of an AOR band, as they actually have “albums” that are worth digging into with great deep cuts, as opposed to just being a purveyor of at the time FM radio chart toppers. I think they were one of those outfits that always had a core group that both recorded and toured. Hey if you want a bit of an odd thing thats fun to listen to, check out a Daryl Hall solo album called Sacred Songs. Its an album he did in collaboration with Robert Fripp of all people! Apparently they are good friends.

3bolt79 and amstratnut like this.
  2. jd35801

jd35801 Strat-Talker

While I still love the music I did when I was young, I am FAR more open and tolerant of “other music” than the music snob (douche?) I sometimes was back then. And as others have mentioned, there are pearls in pretty much every genre if we open our minds and ears a bit. For example, I didn’t really dig Boz Scaggs back in the ‘70s but now I listen to him a lot and appreciate his songwriting and singing. Have to crank “Lido Shuffle” every time it comes on!

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

i never cared what the words said, hell, i couldn't understand most of what they were saying anyway...
    what i did and do care about is how the words are put to the music.

4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I still dont really care for Hall and Oats but, live at Daryls house is awesome!

StratMike10, circles and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

I loved Underwater Moonlight-Soft Boys when it came out. Robyn Hitchcock is great.

amstratnut and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. Mike Manhost67

Mike Manhost67 Strat-Talker

I feel like the iPod killed "tribalism".

I would have never bought a Carpenters album in the 70's (god forbid any my friends back then saw that in my collection), but the arrival of digital music changed all that.

The freedom to download stuff, and the fact that it all rubbed shoulders with each other, fundamentally changed the way I thought about music and its different styles

I think with digital, the big draw was that you could suddenly pick and choose exactly the songs you wanted.

I might have never bought a Christopher Cross album, or CD, but I would definitely download "Sailing" and "Run like the Wind", and put them in rotation with stuff that was central to my DNA. In affect (for good or bad) it basically turned every piece of music into a single again, and let you play DJ.

In addition, the ability to hit the "shuffle" button meant you heard songs that were radically different from each other in sequence, and that had a huge effect. It was the great equalizer, and proved Ellington's maxim, "there is only two kinds of music".

BuddyHollywood, circles and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. Kimex

Kimex Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I usually say. i hated that i loved it. about disco and 80s pop

8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I really disliked most disco in the 70’s and in the 80’s I didn’t appreciate Air Supply. But damn they are great. Watch Graham Russel play his guitar upside down and strung for a right handed player. He is incredible to watch.

Now that I am 52, I can appreciate ABBA. And I have several records of KC and the Sunshine Band, that I got when my sister passed away. Great bass playing and really well crafted songs.

Jimi Lightning and amstratnut like this.
  9. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I think you had a major head start on all of us! Between your dad and howard you weren't just getting guitar lessons at age 6 you were getting a big picture of music appreciation very early on. What a gift you got :thumb:

10. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

True. I was very lucky.

I still have things I gravitate towards and things I stay away from, not because it sucks, but because it doesn't move me.

Pink Floyd...Rush... I'll listen to Public Enemy before I listen to them. Or Englebert Humperdinck. Or Tom T. Hall.

11. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

As kids we didn’t like Johnny Cash……What the F were we thinking? We didn’t understand the direct connections between rock, blues and country.

amstratnut likes this.
  12. PeteGeordie

PeteGeordie Strat-Talker

Loved it at the time. Saw him at Leeds Poly (probably uni now) in '78/9??

Bloody brilliant

Jimi Lightning and ukoldgit like this.
  13. PeteGeordie

PeteGeordie Strat-Talker

Jazz. Probably because I didn't understand what it was.

14. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

There you go, it's perfectly ok to not like something but still realize they have talent.

You my friend are teaching music appreciation like your mentors did :)

fezz parka likes this.
  15. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

And add New Order and The Pet Shop Boys.

16. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

I hated disco then. Still hate it today.

17. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

I’m also a huge fan of Japan, Arcadia (members from Duran Duran, Japan & PaT Metheny Group) and «Avalon» by Roxy Music.

Bladesg likes this.
  18. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

If it's got one or more of good melody, rhythm, nice changes/harmony, a nice riff, then I'm probably going to like it. Never been a slave to genres. I think my dad's influence helped there - grew up listening to top 40, rock, country, jazz, R&B, old standards. He listened with his ears, no prejudice.

19. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I can't really think of any single genre that fits the description. Basically, if it has energy and/or moodiness, I liked and still like it. So I still don't get on well with country music post-1980 and any "adult contemporary" yacht rock kind of stuff.

I guess I'm also not big on most RnB, but getting into guitar has made a lot of that stuff more musically interesting to me.

20. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

LOVE Roxy Music's Avalon. The title track is one of my warm-up tunes. I also love Bryan Ferry's (sixth) solo LP Boys and Girls. Nile Rodgers, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, Tony Levin, and Marcus Miller are all playing on this album. If you can't get a woman while this is playing, you just aren't trying.

JAMES

Martin Mim likes this.