Musikraft necks

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Tsjackson, May 23, 2020.

1. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-Talker

Hi so this is for sale near me, claiming to be a Brazilian rosewood board musikraft neck from 2006ish, the ONLY marking I can see is the number 2 on the back of the heel, is there anyway to confirm the maker by these photos?

cheers for any help

86DE9B82-8C79-4732-9727-00FE36335D0B.png 22DE41A2-C0F0-45EB-9F89-4005C1CD8177.png 8C1DD627-4110-47AA-8F52-1A294D0FBAB5.png 833C39CC-6F01-4964-9279-F38DA0AA19CC.png 0879EBD1-E4AC-4194-9B46-913C90999C57.png 378A598C-DFB3-4C7B-B4CF-B8414B15B67A.png

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talker

I'm sorry I can't help on who the maker is, but that is a beautiful looking slab neck, it would make a nice starting point for a 1961 replica.

What's the asking price? I mean it's only pictures, but even if that was Indian Rosewood made by AllParts it's a $200+ neck all day long.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

3. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-Talker

That’s the thing, it’s priced as a Brazilian rosewood musikraft neck, I.e. £400. If it were £200 I’d be all over it but that’s big money on a gamble...

jfgesquire likes this.
  4. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue All roads lead to P90 Strat-Talk Supporter

That's not Musikraft made. The first few years they made necks they would write the order number at the heel of the neck with pen. Then they switched to a burn mark at the heel where it says Musikraft licensed by Fender.

They do offer vintage position on the truss rod, but it's never that high in the fretboard, they're very true to vintage spec at Musikraft.

Also they stopped using Braz rosewood like in 2011 I think.

Another thing, that board is way too thick even for a slab board. This is very odd, never seen a Musikraft neck with such a thick board.

Gevalt likes this.
  5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talker

It was mentioned that the neck was manufactured in 2006 so that beats the 2011 date. When did they start burning the license notation on the heel? Maybe the first-through-current owner just cleaned the pen off with denatured alcohol.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

6. Guy Named Sue

You're focusing on just one of the red flags I mentioned, there are four obvious red flags that say this isn't made by Musikraft.

They would use ink pen at the butt of the neck. Why would anyone even remove that and replace it with the number 2?

Also, bought in 2006 as special order I assume since Braz rosewood was an upgrade option. But never used? No drill holes whatsoever?

7. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-Talker

Yeah I don’t like buying something that has NOTHING written on it at all, unless its cheap.
    As tempted as I am (my finger has hovered over the ‘make offer’ button about 500 times this afternoon) I may sit and watch it for a while, see if it’s reduced by 70% ha

8. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-O-Master

For the money asked you can order your own neck from Musikraft to your specs ('61 or whatever) have it with really rolled edges and finished as you pleased and delivered to your door. Import taxes included.

Go to their website and spec one up....

9. Guy Named Sue

In my experience, the only place that a neck with such a thick rosewood board would come from is China. So if you're tempted to spend 200 or let alone 400 on a Chinese neck, go ahead.

10. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-Talker

I shan’t, thank you for your advise. That’s why I posted it on here, you are all very helpful authenticating things!

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  11. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-Talker

I’ve done that before and they’ve said they won’t ship rosewood to the U.K. I’ve never had a neck from a U.K. neck builder but I’ve had warmoth and musikraft and always been very impressed

12. Guy Named Sue

https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/

They offer Indian rosewood if you want.

Tsjackson likes this.
  13. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm no expert but all the Musikraft necks I've seen also use Hex head adjustment at heel for truss rod

14. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-O-Master

Could the "2" mean Factory Second?

15. Guy Named Sue

They do offer double action truss rod as an option, that might be the ones you've seen. But regular truss rods vintage style is also an option.

That's what's great with Musikraft, they really let you pick every aspect of the neck, down to smallest detail such as clay dots and the sanding of the neck volute.

Bladesg likes this.