MUST Know Stratocaster Tunes!

Rounder44

Strat-Talker
Mar 1, 2018
TUCSON, AZ
Hi,

I've been reading Wheeler's Stratocaster Chronicles and realized I don't know how to play "Walk Don't Run" !

I beg your forgiveness and wonder what other tunes are so Strat specific we should learn them just to know what it takes to achieve that tone, if possible!. I think of a few Hendrix tunes but most so overwhelmed with technique.

Seems a lot of tunes could have been played on anything. I mean Page recorded a lot of stuff with a Tele and a Supro but had to use a LP and a Marshall stack in concert, so we don't think of those as classic Telecaster tone...

I'm stuck on surf music at the moment which pretty much defined the Strat Fender tone. Dick Dale etc....

What's your list?

R44

BallisticSquid

Most Honored Senior Member
Oct 12, 2016
US
I wouldn't be too sure that it's a Strat you hear on Walk Don't Run. :)

Last weekend I heard a blues band playing "Before You Accuse Me" on the boardwalk. As I approached where the band was playing, I was curious to see what strat he was playing that went with the glorious strat tones I was hearing.

Imagine my dismay when I see he's playing an SG with humbuckers!

Yves

Jan 2, 2016
London
I play mainly jazz these days.
I find the strat so comfy, I'm getting real lazy getting the old jazzer out of the box.

vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
Yemen
Even though it's actually Duane Allman, and it's obviously a Les Paul; anytime an oldtimer sees you with a Strat, they always say "Play Clapton Layla !!!"

So give them a few bars before they drive you crazy.

Here is just the isolated guitar and vocal tracks, so it's super easy to pick it up:

Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
T
Last weekend I heard a blues band playing "Before You Accuse Me" on the boardwalk. As I approached where the band was playing, I was curious to see what strat he was playing that went with the glorious strat tones I was hearing.

Imagine my dismay when I see he's playing an SG with humbuckers!

That's hilarious... and kinda true. :)