Mustang vs Katana

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Baelzebub, Apr 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Anyone have any thoughts on the relative attributes of these two amps?
    I have a Katana MKI and was considering an MKII, as it added/fixed a few things that bothered me about the MKI such as separate controls for Booster/Mod and Delay/Effects and also doubled the amp tones and stereo feature, but was browsing the Mustangs and particularly the 200 looks like a comparative value.
    Couple things I liked about the Mustang were the easy interface, LCD, wireless and bluetooth capabilities, and my thought was they probably had the best modeling of all those classice Fender Amps for obvious reasons.

Any added thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Bucklander

Bucklander Strat-Talk Member

I had a Katana 50 mkII that sounded great in store, but truly awful when I got it home, so I took it back. I didn't spend enough time dialling it in, but the moral to that was that if you think it'll be great right out of the box, it isn't necessarily going to work that way.

I was undecided about what to do next and thought I'd wait for the release of the Mustang GTX, but actually ordered a Katana 100 mkII for the effects loop (for my looper) and to give the Katana another chance.

Then I got cold feet and decided, on the basis of a long thread at TG?, that I'd buy a Mustang GTX with the GTX-7 footswitch - it just has everything I need in one simple box, plus the built-in looper. I figured the GTX interface didn't necessarily require me going to a computer or using my iPhone, whereas the limitations of the BOSS would eventually lead me down that path... one I didn't want to be forced down.

The GTX is getting stellar reviews from one or two guys at TG? who have been on the long, tortuous, Mustang journey - who I've been following for weeks, and sound like they know what they're talking about. They've been very critical of aspects of the GT, so I take their comments on the GTX as highly objective and credible. They are virtually having orgasms over some of the new Fender amp models. Go take a look.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I don't want LCD screens, lists of amps, bluetooth or a looper, just a usable amp. So I have used a Katana for the last three years.

Ebidis, Chont, apm1991 and 5 others like this.
  4. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

What is TG?

5. Raphael256

Raphael256 Strat-O-Master

I find Champion XL amps to be much btter than mustang and other series.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Probably TGP (The Gear Page) there's an ongoing 3½ year old, 880 page Katana thread over there.

stylemessiah likes this.
  7. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

My Katana 100 gets me by. I programmed "my sound" and moved forward learning more tunes.

8. stylemessiah

Never liked Boss, not even their pedals, always sound stale, uninspiring

I cant decide between Fender tube goodness (maybe a Hotrod Deluxe) or something way more bedroom friendly like this

KillingTone likes this.
  9. stylemessiah

cheers, found it in the end....reading the GTX thread, well... last dozen pages :)

10. Thrup'ny Bit

I had 36 years of Fender "tube goodness", but I couldn't even use it in the house, so it was practically useless once I stopped gigging...

11. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

All valid points of view. Thanks. I'll check out the Champion. I'm very happy with the Katana 100 but was considering just upgrading to an MKII for those added features...even considered keeping the MKI so I could blow out the walls in stereo...lol.

I think I saw your post on TGP before you had made up your mind. The built in looper did catch my eye, but my primary setup includes a Trio+, for a rhythm section and for looping and overdubbing. Got it to eliminate the hassles involved in finding someone to play with/off. So the looper isn't a make or break for me. I started out looking at the GT- 100 but for $100 more the GT200 seemed like a better value since the footswitch is $65 but it comes with the 200.

Wireless is nice because I'm constantly rearranging my space and anything that eliminates cables is okay with me. One of the reasons I liked the Katana was it eliminated the need for a pedalboard saving some precious floorspace. I'd use the bluetooth but neither it or the wireless are a make or break thing.

Hadn't really been looking at the GTX, but comparing that to the GT-200 I'm not seeing much real value added. Just a bit more of everything, it seems, but I'll go read that thread over at TGP since I'm just a hack and can gain some insight there.

As far as the BOSS eventually pushing you to a computer interface..I don't mind that since computers are all part of my setup in my space. My primary issue with it was the limitations of the dual purpose knobs..hence eyeing the II. I'd gotten around some of those limitations using Floorboard, but a lot of the edits you do with it can't be saved to the amp... lots of pros and cons but I do have to say the Katana is an amazing amp for what it does and in it's price range..

thanks to all for the valuable insights.... I'll read over that TGP thread and check out the Champions.

12. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

My Katana 100 gets me by. I programmed "my sound" and moved forward learning more tunes.

Some days I want to dive into theory...some days into learning songs..and some days just screwing around with tones... I don't really have a sound, having always been more of a self taught mimic than and actual creative soul....trying to balance those two out now that I'm old enough to have the time.

13. stylemessiah

Yes, but at 49, ive never had Fender Tube Goodness, never been able to afford it till recently, and i want some before i die :)

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  14. Thrup'ny Bit

It's over rated and over priced, but what the hey, you kids have to learn for yourselves. :)

Bucklander and CFFF like this.
  15. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have three Katanas: a 50, an Artist Mk I and a Head Mk II. The 50 is OK but has a lower quality speaker. The Artist is the best of the batch, probably due to the premium speaker. The Mk II is a useful upgrade but just an incremental upgrade. The "extra" tones available with the Mk II can really be obtained with knob twisting on the Mk I. Katanas are rock solid, it is hard to find one with repair problems on the internet. The perceived tone and how to dial it in is a subjective thing. The Katana weight (or lack of) is a significant advantage. At 69, even the Artist almost more than I can move. That is one of the reasons for the Head version, the head and a cabinet are much more portable. The Katanas are the Swiss army knife of amps without breaking the bank.

Just my 2 cents,
    fos1

Mike_it_up and Baelzebub like this.
  16. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

I've been using a Mustang IIIv2 for about 4 years now. Caveat; I DON'T use the built in effects at all; only use the Deluxe Reverb, Bassman and Princeton amp models with various, thoughtful tweaking by yours truly. I use outboard pedals through the 'front' and have gotten nothing but good compliments on my tone over these years.

These 'old school' modeling amps can be had in excellent condition for a 'song' in the used market.

YMMV but this player feels no need for anything else in this category. (I DO own a Positive Grid Bias Head Amp which I totally love, and two tube amps, all of which scratch my amp-itch" LOL!)

Best wishes in whatever you decide!

Brian

Ebidis likes this.
  17. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I agree. Everyone needs to experience running a tube amp. I’ve got a few amps, including a Fender Cyber Twin but since I built my little 15 watt tube head, it’s all I use and with it driving a 2x12 cabinet, it can definitely keep up with the rest of the band.

If you get some tube goodness, make sure that if it’s an old school amp that it’s been recapped or that it hasn’t sat long unused. Also, I’d get an outboard attenuator that you can put between the amp and speakers so you can load up the amp and get it to sing without blowing the windows out.

JB74 likes this.
  18. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Katana.
    Biased ~ i have one andits ****ing great.

Thrup'ny Bit and apm1991 like this.
  19. Bucklander

Bucklander Strat-Talk Member

I honestly wouldn't bother, unless you're gigging or playing very loud. I don't do either, but I've had a few nice valve amps, always against my better judgement, just to scratch an itch. I always come back to solid state - to me, SS amps are better for low volume and shaping the tone to suit a small environment.

And TG? is TGP - I didn't know if I was breaking Strat-Talk protocol by mentioning another, albeit highly inferior:whistling:, forum.

stylemessiah likes this.
  20. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I concur wholeheartedly.... as for the MKII, the amp variations could all be gotten with knob twists, as you pointed out, but those dual duty knobs on the MKI struck me from the get go as a strange idea. The MKII eliminates that and I was intrigued, since I already had a 100, with master/slaving them to get stereo in my playspace.

JB74 and fos1 like this.