My Affinity for the Affinity

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Dadocaster, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I really dig the Affinity. The ever so slightly thinner body id fine for me and I even like the tiny necks. Fit and finish is good enough for me and speaking from the standpoiny of a smallish and cheap dude, I'm fine with my partscasters. They look nice and cost near nothing.

Yall with bear paws on the end of your arms can just leave the Affinitys for me.

2. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

I have one floating around here somewhere. I don't remember which gigbag or case it may be in. I picked it up used. $125. I do need to replace the PG on it but that was the only damage to it. Finish was good as I recall. I have not played in a long while. It would be nice to pull it out and see now what I think of it. It was put away when I started running out of wall space.

RWB2-sm.jpg

Red - Infinity, White - Bullet, Blue - MIM

They are lighter too as compared to the MIM. It is a noticible weight difference and I do not believe the weight savings is just the thinner body. They are made with different wood I think.

3. Cyrusthevirus

Cyrusthevirus Strat-Talk Member

I have 9 strats and 2 of them are the affinity series and I have no problem with them at all. The funny thing is my first affinity I had for awhile before I realized the nut was actually a bit smaller never noticed so obviously wasnt problem for me. What I really like about them is they are cheap to buy and I dont mind modding the heck out of it and worrying about the resell value. Screenshot_20210603-092730_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210603-092704_Gallery.jpg

4. Eric1982

Eric1982 Senior Stratmaster

I love this thread. The affinities are great often an Alder body just marvelous.

Stratoskater and Dadocaster like this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

A few months back I bought an Affinity Strat and Tele pair in Imperial Blue. The intention was to mod one for slide and one in open G Keith Richards style. But, there’s one down in the day room and one up here in the lounge. Still un-modded. They are just such nice guitars to just pick up and, we’ll, play. Waiting for Mrs W to get ready to go out, waiting for a TV show to start or just at a lose end for a few minutes.

fattboyzz likes this.
  6. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

I’m hoping they’re horrible personally so I don’t have to act on the dark GAS urges that the two recent FMT versions are giving me.

Thankfully nowhere in the U.K. seems to stock them.

Wonky supply chains, I thank you.

7. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

I likewise have a couple of Affinity strats.

One can't be shown here due to the Fender '69-'71 decal somebody else fitted to it but to compliment that I've added a bone nut, Fender 'F' style tuners and neck plate and a loaded Highway One guard with the vintage staggered alnico pups which I think ended up in the MIM classic series. I also swapped in a MIM standard strat trem and bridge (with the block milled down for the slimmer body), moved the serial number to the neckplate and removed the D/G string tree and filled the hole before rolling the board edges and spraying the headstock in gloss nitro. The back of the neck I left it's original satin poly as it had been polished by play wear anyway into a very smooth non stick gloss. The fingerboard then got polished up with T-cut and is now likewise a lovely gloss looking but still very very smooth satin.

The other is likewise a maple cap but with fewer mods. Again nitro on the headstock and butt though on this one I also did the fingerboard of the neck after fretboard rolling and D/G string tree removal. It also has the Kluson style tuners and bent stamped saddles from a VM70 and once again I've moved the serial number to the new Fender 'F' neckplate as it just looks so much better (and vintage). A cut in the guard to replicate a truss access notch and some tea and coffee staining on the plastics and voila!

I have to say that both are great players. Not just 'for the money' ... they're great players. Both set up to float and both hold tune with fairly frantic trem use really really well.

_DSC0132.jpg

pn8830, fattboyzz and Martin Mim like this.
  8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I was playing my black Affinity because I had the urge to work on some chicken pickin. That scrawny neck is wonderful and I like the fender scale for finger picking due to the increased tension and the strings close to the body. Was great fun and very comfy for the technique. I think this one gets blacked out very soon and I bet I will like it even more. Might have to pick one up and put a massive 'bucker in it to play punk.

Stratoskater likes this.
  9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

2 of my parts casters are built on Affinity Alder bodies.

1 Tele an 1 Strat. Both about 6.5 lbs and gr8 player.
    Built my brother one off an Affinity too.
    He is a big Trower fan ;)
    Not really a copy. Aff body Std neck.

2017-11-28 16.59.56.jpg

10. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I've never actually owned one (apart from a Strat neck that I never put on anything), but I tried out a Tele in my local shop and it was unbelievably good. Ceramic pickups, top-loading six-saddle bridge, thin body and all the other things that Tele purists will tell you are 'wrong', but it still played and sounded like a good Tele should. I didn't have any money at the time, so I didn't buy it. :(

fattboyzz likes this.