My band is always having some kind of trouble.

GlockandRoll

Strat-Talker
Mar 12, 2018
Austin, TX
I was just about to join a cool band here in Austin that does a mix of originals and classic rock, right around Feb of 2020. We haven't even gotten together and jammed since then because people moved away, etc.

stratblast

Strat-O-Master
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
Between jobs and this and that and family and all, it's just hard to get much done. Bugs me that things get so slowed down but it's not like any of us are obstructing, it's just....life ****.
I remember those days well. Working 6 days a week with only Saturdays off and Saturdays we did not gig… We rehearsed. So no free days. Then there were times at gigs when sometimes a band member would show up later than expected but we always started on time. One night the guitar player singer. Came into town for our gig. A 60 mile trip for him and he realized he forgot the lyric sheets so he had to drive all the way home and back. We played the first set doing the songs I sang. Then starting 2 nd set he was back. But yes. A lot of variables and a lot of things can happen.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
I remember those days well. Working 6 days a week with only Saturdays off and Saturdays we did not gig… We rehearsed. So no free days. Then there were times at gigs when sometimes a band member would show up later than expected but we always started on time. One night the guitar player singer. Came into town for our gig. A 60 mile trip for him and he realized he forgot the lyric sheets so he had to drive all the way home and back. We played the first set doing the songs I sang. Then starting 2 nd set he was back. But yes. A lot of variables and a lot of things can happen.
Two of us live within a few minutes of each other, the third is 45 minutes away, and the place we have played most is about an hour away. Logistics are tough and I have no interest in making mr. 45 minutes cruise to my place to practice any more than is absolutely necessary.

drp146

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 8, 2020
Oklahoma
I'm not wanting to be critical of your lead singer, but I'm a lead singer and I make a point to know the song lyrics before I get on stage. Even for newer songs, I would've still showed up on time and sang what lyrics I could remember, repeating a few verses if necessary. Most of the time the audience doesn't know the difference. But I don't know your situation, new band, etc. So there could be extenuating circumstances.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
I'm not wanting to be critical of your lead singer, but I'm a lead singer and I make a point to know the song lyrics before I get on stage. Even for newer songs, I would've still showed up on time and sang what lyrics I could remember, repeating a few verses if necessary. Most of the time the audience doesn't know the difference. But I don't know your situation, new band, etc. So there could be extenuating circumstances.
I can see both sides of this. I carry around lyric sheets or songs I WROTE that I have played a lot. Don't end up using them but they are a security blanket. Makes me nervous not to have them, even if I don't use them

On the other hand, for sure I have sung same verse more than once when I have forgotten stuff.

Very possible that that singer just freaked not having his security blankie.

CirroStratus

Strat-O-Master
Sep 11, 2022
Stratosphere
It took his denials of how terrible it sounded and him leaving it for a month then relistening, to admit how bad it was. I’ve got a mix done and waiting if he can’t get it together.
Exactly this! Been plenty of times when I thought a particular track was the schiznit, only to come back to it a while later and ask myself what the hell I was thinking. Self criticism is vital

Your experience is why I have absolutely no problems going solo, with perhaps the occasional colab with one or two others. That usually satiates the need for band life for a while. Band life has always been filled with drama for me. I realized that it was more important to me to lose bad band members and keep them as good friends instead of losing good friends that became bad band members

And hey, I never have any scheduling conflicts with myself 😉

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Exactly this! Been plenty of times when I thought a particular track was the schiznit, only to come back to it a while later and ask myself what the hell I was thinking. Self criticism is vital

Your experience is why I have absolutely no problems going solo, with perhaps the occasional colab with one or two others. That usually satiates the need for band life for a while. Band life has always been filled with drama for me. I realized that it was more important to me to lose bad band members and keep them as good friends instead of losing good friends that became bad band members

And hey, I never have any scheduling conflicts with myself 😉
Play trio, play punk, only play every few weeks. Works for me.

ido1957

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 13, 2014
Canada
Drama is often a side effect of being in a band. I prefer to be friendly but don't hang out with my bandmates outside of work. I approach it as I do any job, and avoid if possible getting involved in their personal life. Our biggest problem recently has been Covid, RSV and the Flu, but we have a number of people in the music community who can fill in on short notice.

drp146

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 8, 2020
Oklahoma
I can see both sides of this. I carry around lyric sheets or songs I WROTE that I have played a lot. Don't end up using them but they are a security blanket. Makes me nervous not to have them, even if I don't use them

On the other hand, for sure I have sung same verse more than once when I have forgotten stuff.

Very possible that that singer just freaked not having his security blankie.
True. I just hate to think of the audience seeing me read the lyrics, so I do that at rehearsals and practicing at home. But I have forgotten the first line of a song before and just went to the first verse I could remember.

slabboardsam

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 14, 2022
West Lafayette, IN
I've been organizing my first band in four years, and the first "real" band since I was a teenager. It's been kind of tough, since I'm having to lead a band, which I've never done before and really doesn't gel with my personality. I decided to form a Western swing band for some reason, and finding musicians in their late teens and 20s that want to play it has also been an interesting challenge. Hopefully, we'll be off the ground soon.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
I've been organizing my first band in four years, and the first "real" band since I was a teenager. It's been kind of tough, since I'm having to lead a band, which I've never done before and really doesn't gel with my personality. I decided to form a Western swing band for some reason, and finding musicians in their late teens and 20s that want to play it has also been an interesting challenge. Hopefully, we'll be off the ground soon.
I am mostly in charge of my little band and first time in that position. A year in getting a bit more comfy.

BTW: Western Swing kicks ass. I would love to do that. Good luck.