Join Strat-Talk Today

My city has issued a shelter in place order

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ebidis, Mar 25, 2020.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-O-Master

758B43FC-1C78-4441-A309-82C4862C0C99.jpeg
    ...and I’m thankful for it

2. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

The Town I live in started there Lock down/ shelter in place on Friday. Only grocery stores drug stores, Banks, Take out food, Post Office and Pot shops. are open for regular business. And the town I live in have a no drive thru windows policy.

3. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talker

Oregon started a shelter-in-place/lockdown/semi-quarantine deal a day or two ago. Since I'm retired, it's not a huge difference for my wife & I, although we did have to cancel our 40th anniversary trip to Maui the first week in April. :(

What we're shakin' our head over is the list of "essential services" Oregon has...... Cannibis shops and coffee shops are deemed "Essential"???? :confused: That's as lame as it can get, in my book. I dunno about all the "craft beer" businesses. If they shut down, the whole of Portland's economy goes down the toilet......

amstratnut and The Strat Dude like this.
  4. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Sticker bushes and Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

The light traffic to Hillsboro and back is so weird, 70+ during rush hour the whole way.

MrNeutron likes this.
  5. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

The noose just keeps getting tighter.

Ebidis likes this.
  6. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Apparently, Im essential. :)

7. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Well the cops sure as hell don't want to stop you

The Strat Dude likes this.
  8. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

Interestingly, while we've been on lock-down our adult son has been going out and conducting business as usual. He's a sales rep for wineries, selling to stores, restaurants, etc. and apparently that is still an essential business!!!

9. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Our area as well. Our commuter line stopped service. Sucks for the people who are emergency service that rely on the bus but I get it. I had to head into NYC to grab my work from home system. Relieved to not have to go in anymore until further notice.

Ghost town in NYC.

7541C77B-FCC3-4FA6-8B02-812E249407C0.jpeg E0F625C7-21B7-46DF-BDF6-7AABD47E747F.jpeg 139C1DA4-6CB8-4664-BCDC-278D7304C2B7.jpeg

10. scooteraz

scooteraz Strat-Talker

So are gas stations allowed to be open? And being jailed? So everyone is under house arrest? When do they bring by the ankle bracelets.

Here we are told that no more than 10 can be in a place. But apparently that doesn’t apply to people in line (or in the store) at Costco getting TP...

Ebidis likes this.
  11. scooteraz

scooteraz Strat-Talker

So, they finally shut down the most crowded, worst ventilated spaces in the city? Hmmmm

12. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Something nice to break pick up the mood. Stay healthy and safe everyone. :)

tery likes this.
  13. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

30 Rock?

fezz parka likes this.
  14. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

Please. I'm streaming Netflix like a baller. Is this really the apocalypse?

Chont likes this.
  15. crazyrachey96

crazyrachey96 Strat-O-Master

MN goes on lockdown Friday at midnight. Doesn't apply to me; I'm healthcare.

16. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

Heck, we've been in self-quarantine since we retired in January...

I participated in the Publix "Senior hours" shopping on Tuesday. There were about 30-40 standing at the front door at 7am. Many were simply crowded in the doorway...and then a scattering of 'social distancers' (including me). I was amazed that they didn't all hobble to the TP aisle at the bell...but they seemed to evenly disperse into the store. I walked back to the TP and Paper Towel aisle and while the shelves were mostly bare, they had enough for all of us (one per customer, etc.). The meat section was very bare. No chicken, very little beef (cuts nobody but we wanted...we had flank steak last night. Yum!). Otherwise it was a standard morning.

While all the restaurants are locked down, most are still doing take-out. Some are making it up as they go along. Tough to do take out for an all-you-can-eat joint. I saw a local news piece on a pancake house that was converting to breakfast take-out. Hot pancakes right to your car window. Next thing you know, they'll have carhops on skates again. Short-shorts and pony tails on skates...um, what did I order??

I'm having a garage built...and none of the workers have failed to show up. The contractor sez "business as usual" for them. The spray-foam insulation crew was here this morning.

So far, the worst issue is that the neighborhood kids are going batty. Time off from school and nothing for them to do (beyond their smartphones). A couple of families have golf-carts and the kids have been circling the subdivision relentlessly. I saw one cart with a group of early teen girls drive by and one girl was asleep, curled up on the back seat. The boy's cart has speakers and they circle the block blasting whatever 12-15 yr old boys are currently listening to. Sounds terrible, whatever it is.

Back when I was a kid, we had a 'flood event' that closed everything down for a few weeks. Most of the neighborhood boys ended up down at our house because we had a garage full of tools. Dad essentially taught shop for those weeks. I've had guys stop me in the street to tell me that we got them interested in some aspect; welding, woodworking, bodywork, etc. If my shop was ready, I'd invite them all over and build a couple of canoes or a rowing wherry or something. Gotta be better than circling the block all day...unless they're all wannabe NASCAR drivers.

DancesWithWeasels and rafasounds like this.
  17. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I plan on at least a month .
    It will be prudent to wait another month after the virus goes dormant .

18. CephasG

CephasG Senior Stratmaster

Our whole state is there now. Stay strong and healthy!
    I am working from home and trying to go through Leavitt book one. Might as well to the best I can.

19. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

I'm genuinely not trying to be a smart ass here, and I may be remembering incorrectly, but don't you do IT for one of the major banks? Most of them have an auto pay feature where you can set up regular checks to be mailed out for the same amount each month.

20. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

I'm in Denton and ours is officially going into effect tonight. In general, much is not changing because the businesses that must close under this order are the same ones that the County has been recommending to close under previous orders. Tons of places are "essential" including liquor stores (no argument here). I am very fortunate in that my gig is still chugging along and my wife is a teacher, so we are not being financially hit at this time. There's another thread asking what you're going to do with you gubmint checks. We plan on giving ours away.

Paperback Rocker and duzie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.