My Dreadnought is a beast

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Not to play, it plays great and feels great. It's when I am playing... after 15 - 20 minutes of playing, the sound seems to blossom. I like it.

And, I actually prefer the D to the 000 for fingerstyle and light playing, I don't know... maybe I got a standout with this D.
Details?

I have two Martin 28 series Dreadnoughts. None better in the solar system.

I'm totally biased! MartinSlut.gif

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
I live less than an hour and a half from the original and current factory.

Hallowed ground to me.

GLpqY27.jpg

kE3HSHE.jpg

DlIJ6Kl.jpg

Last edited:

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
2! That’s just being greedy. Mine is a D35 and it took a lifetime of saving to get it! You can see why they become heirlooms.
Greedy? Not at all. One is an HD-28, the other is a D12-28 (12 string). :) We are the same age.

I was making pretty good $ when I bought them in 2015 and '16. Got great deals on both.
No saving, was able to pay the balance in full.

I do not put anything on a CC unless I am able to responsibly pay in full each billing cycle.

Last edited:

Gedster

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2021
NSW Australia
One is an HD-28, the other is a D12-28. :) We are the same age.

I do not put anything on a CC unless I am able to pay in full each billing cycle.

Yep, me too. I’ve learned that lesson about credit cards, the hard way.

And yeah, I’ve got an X Series Martin 12 string, which is a nice guitar, but ain’t no 28!

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Yep, me too. I’ve learned that lesson about credit cards, the hard way.

And yeah, I’ve got an X Series Martin 12 string, which is a nice guitar, but ain’t no 28!
All Martins have a special sort of something in my biased opinion. I think they are pretty good at voicing the tone across the line regardless if made in Mexico or Nazareth.

I do not regret buying two 28s within a year. I was able to responsibly afford them. The HD-28 was my bucket list guitar for many years. The D12-28 was just icing on the baked in Nazareth cake.

Since we / I have hijacked this thread, I may as well add these links. I've been to the factory four times and met Chris Martin IV. Hallowed ground.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157653173842863

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157655504572155

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157655775481146

Gedster

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2021
NSW Australia

Fantastic.

Have we jacked the thread? I think we’re just filling in time till the OP comes back next tells some more about his dreadnaught/OOO! And then we can all bang on some more.

teleamp

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
May 21, 2009
Prairie Hill, TX
Filling in time works. :D OP needs to respond.
Both from Nazerath, D-18 & 000-18... I am blessed. I played dreads for years until rotator cup tears in both shoulders. I thought that I had found a good replacement when I started playing the 000. But, I was never happy with the smaller guitar sound. And now, years later I picked up a D-18 and played a few hours with no discomfort. I decided it was time again.

This D-18 is so lively that when you tap on the case you can hear the guitar sound off inside the case.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Both from Nazerath, D-18 & 000-18... I am blessed. I played dreads for years until rotator cup tears in both shoulders. I thought that I had found a good replacement when I started playing the 000. But, I was never happy with the smaller guitar sound. And now, years later I picked up a D-18 and played a few hours with no discomfort. I decided it was time again.

This D-18 is so lively that when you tap on the case you can hear the guitar sound off inside the case.
Glad you were able to reconnect. :)

Gedster

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2021
NSW Australia
I miss the D 18 Vintage I had. I love my HD 28 but my Taylor 914 and K14 Builders Edition seem to get more time than the Martin.

Whoaaaa, that’s a whole suite of very nice guitars right there! You’ve got great taste. I’d be very confused about which guitar I was gonna play if I was in that situation!, let alone finding time to play my Stratocaster. You’re right up there in ‘Holy Grail’ territory with that array.

I’m not sure I’d be able to live without a vintage Brazilian Rosewood Martin if I was in that kind of heady atmosphere. How old was the vintage D18 that you had?

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
The other day I went to the Gibson Garage in Nashville and got to play some high end J 45’s. One was a replica of a sought after year (don’t remember the year) - it was awesome, played like butter and REALLY projected as it had an Adirondack top. It was like 7k. But I don’t know that I’d choose it over my D35 standard.

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
Whoaaaa, that’s a whole suite of very nice guitars right there! You’ve got great taste. I’d be very confused about which guitar I was gonna play if I was in that situation!, let alone finding time to play my Stratocaster. You’re right up there in ‘Holy Grail’ territory with that array.

I’m not sure I’d be able to live without a vintage Brazilian Rosewood Martin if I was in that kind of heady atmosphere. How old was the vintage D18 that you had?

It was a D 18 Vintage series Martin made several years back. I believe this series became the Golden Era series or maybe GE was first and became the Vintage series. It was not a Vintage Martin from the 40’s,50’s,etc.

I have been trying to whittle down my guitar collection to the “best” for me of each type. HD 28 for my dread, 914 for my rosewood and spruce auditorium size, K14 for Koa auditorium size. Looking to add a 000 28 or OM 28 again for an orchestra size. For my “Strat” it’s a PRS Silver Sky, Gibson R8 for Les Paul, ES 335 for Semi Hollow and a PRS Custom 22 for heavier rock stuff. Still looking for the Tele but we have a Vintera 50’s in the House I bought for my son in May to learn on so I can use that while I search.