My Dreadnought is a beast

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
I don’t even have what is considered to be a “nice” Martin. It’s a 1999 DR. It’s the only guitar that I ever pulled off a rack and instantly loved though. It still has perfect action and intonation, and it has always sounded incredibly good. It’s a Nazareth guitar, not an import, so I guess QC was excellent. I love the thing so much that I don’t think I’d ever need to upgrade to a high end model. I would, however, like a Mahogany bodied Martin at some point just because they tend to have a little more tightness and a less boomy bottom to the sound. Bottom line is that I’m a Martin fan for life.

mikhailwatt

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 6, 2020
Austin, Tejas
Early '66 D-18 - before they switched from tortoise shell to black binding/pickguard.
Had it for about 12 years now - came with lots of wear, a couple "standard" cracks repaired, and a 1/4" jack patch.
Was told that the bridge may have been replaced, can't say for sure. Doesn't really matter to me.

Whatever angel/fairy dust they used at the factory hasn't worn off... :)

D-18 top.jpg
D-18 crop.jpg

Last edited:

Elmore1

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 25, 2019
Atlanta
The other day I went to the Gibson Garage in Nashville and got to play some high end J 45’s. One was a replica of a sought after year (don’t remember the year) - it was awesome, played like butter and REALLY projected as it had an Adirondack top. It was like 7k. But I don’t know that I’d choose it over my D35 standard.
I will also add that the J-45 sounds amazing. I bought this new about three months ago. 6C31CE16-7971-4EE4-884A-4FE49504BFA3.jpeg

RaySachs

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2017
Philly area
My first decent acoustic was a 1968 D28, the last year they were all built with Brazilian rosewood. I bought it in 1979 for $400, well played, with a couple of well done repairs on the top. Got it at the original Rainbow Guitars in Tucson, a tiny hole in the wall down the street from their current much MUCH bigger store, and just around the corner on Grant. They did the repairs and later did a neck reset. It was my only acoustic for 25 years. I sold it during a long layoff from playing for about ten times what I paid for it. It was the guitar all others have been and will be judged against. Then when I got back into playing 5-6 years ago, I discovered I didn’t like dreads anymore - my shoulder doesn’t like the size and my ears don’t want/need the volume or the big bass. After some experimenting, I also found that I’d become more of a mahogany guy than a rosewood guy. I still like rosewood, but not as much or often as mahogany. So now I have a CEO-7 as my number 1 and an 000-28EC as my #2. I play acoustic far more than electric these days, although I still love both. But no dreads for me anymore.

-Ray

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
Not to play, it plays great and feels great. It's when I am playing... after 15 - 20 minutes of playing, the sound seems to blossom. I like it.

And, I actually prefer the D to the 000 for fingerstyle and light playing, I don't know... maybe I got a standout with this D.
Pics?!?!

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
Not to play, it plays great and feels great. It's when I am playing... after 15 - 20 minutes of playing, the sound seems to blossom. I like it.

And, I actually prefer the D to the 000 for fingerstyle and light playing, I don't know... maybe I got a standout with this D.
Acoustic guitars warm up when you play them which is why they sound different after 15 minutes of playing. As you play the molecules in the wood heat up a little and is the reason it sounds better after playing it a few minutes.

stratocarlster

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 6, 2012
Telephone Road
I suppose my Taylor GS8 is sort of dread sized too. It certainly projects like one. I grew up owning dreads and had nothing else for 40 years so maybe the shape is too familiar, I'm somehow drawn to anything but! PXL_20220518_101846535.NIGHT.jpg

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
My latest Dread purchase is a guitar I have a love-hate relationship with. It’s a Boucher BG-52. If I were primarily a picker/Jam player it would be the perfect guitar. It has projection, volume and tone that is unmatched. But as a singer songwriter with a mellow voice I need a guitar that does not overpower me when playing (acoustically) For that my Martin D-35 and my Furch D-32 are perfect (as we’ll as a few OMs)

It does not get as much play as my other acoustics but I just can’t bring my self to sell it .....yet. It is the guitar I go for when playing in a big acoustic jam (which I have not done much of since the beginning of the pandemic)

oatsoda

Puck of Paradox
Jul 10, 2011
The Shack, Nova Scotia
My latest Dread purchase is a guitar I have a love-hate relationship with. It’s a Boucher BG-52.
Lots of Boucher’s floating around on Canada’s East coast, and I think the one that made me covet my neighbour’s goose the most was a 12 string. She was easy to finger and sweet like cherry pop-tarts.

So…

The OP came back and dropped a like, but never revealed the ax. Wonder what he’s dreading?