My drumming is getting better.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Boyo gave me a stern talking to a while back about the fact that while I am able to keep a beat, I have fatal flaws in my technique that will keep me from advancing and possibly cause an injury.

"Dad, this is stuff FROM 6TH GRADE! You can't even do the most basic stuff and you have to go back now and do it."

"Um, yeah I guess I misunderstood how many reps I needed to learn this. Drums is so much a physical thing..."

"Come over here Dad, we are starting over."

And so I have been working a lot on elementary technique. It's working. I'm getting better.

2. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Strat-O-Master

Good luck to you. I've drummed for about 50 years now. I'm still not that good. Definitely not fast. Don;t care about fast. Locking in on the time for the rest of the band comes first. Not dropping a stick during a song is next. Then not making a fool of myself is the rest. Drumming is often about "less is better". Too many fills, crashes, solos are best left for the experts. Keep time. That is your job. The rest is decoration. Don't overdo it. Be Charlie Watts in a world of Neal Pearts.

Boognish, Hairy Bear and stratobiker like this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Good advice but kinda genre specific... :D

I would like to be able to drum on the fast punk I write so I need to be fast but not complex. Can do ok on slower groovier stuff. So I want some chops...

4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

If anyone wants to jump in and discuss foot technique go right ahead.

5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

You already know the answer
    Practice
    4 way independence is something you just gotta keep working at. Then all of a sudden you're golden.
    You got this

6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

...had to bring that up. Just when I am feeling better about myself. :D

Bob the builder likes this.
  7. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

All I can say is that in my 3 weeks of playing, my foot gets tired quick. I need to work on stamina.

Otherwise my drum journey is just beginning. I've learned a few different beat patterns and can keep them going at a moderate BPM...just doing ask me to do a fill! :D

Paperback Rocker and Stonetone like this.
  8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Work on technique and especially foot techinque. I have worked trying various foot stuff and may finally be settling on a counterintuitive thing that works for me.

9. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

There's so much I need to work on. Time is always a premium and what time I have I tend to use for the guitar but I am trying to find 30 minutes a day to mess around. There's a YouTube channel called Drumeo that I've been following that has some good content and I picked up their accompanying book for exercises, rudiments, etc. I'm not looking to be Neil Peart or anything but would like to be able to build a good foundation.

Stonetone likes this.
  10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I might be incorrect, but my experience is that you really have to put in reps to play drums at all well. Guitar and bass you can get pretty good, even great with technical flaws, I don't think that is the case with drums.

11. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I guess I'll need to define what "well" means for me. Certainly though I'd like to learn proper form before I start developing bad habits. I'm realistic though in the amount of commitment I'll have toward the instrument. Unfortunately I should have done this 40 years ago but here we are.

I should be able to get at least as good as Ringo :D

(kidding Ringo fans)

pazman6 and Bob the builder like this.
  12. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Strat-O-Master

Good luck with working out the punk fast stuff. I've never done anything fast in my life I don't think.

13. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Well, I’m the worst drummer since the tribe’s chief took Grom’s log away for noise pollution and being a nuisance. So I won’t be any help... :(

My level of skill is roughly like this:

14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Well, my kid learned a Max Roach solo from sheet music recently. Took him a few hours to work it out. I suspect I would be thrilled with my drumming if he wasn't around.

15. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I don't really have a frame of reference. Where would you say that you're at now skill-wise? Basic beats and fills kept in time? Something more complex?

16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I suspect you and I come at things from a different direction. I tend to spend a lot of time on skills, little time on working on songs. Figure if I get skills, I will be able to learn things. Jury is out on which way is best. :D

I have good meter, I can play simple beats proficiently and some accents and fills. Can do shuffles and easy rock and some funk. What I can't do is play a groove for three minutes and consistently get accents, fills and meter right.

I cannot do things that require good independence. No polyrhythms.

17. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I don't think we're that different. I'm not nearly at the song learning stage but I did want to first learn a few basic beats. First, it's a bit of a motivator for me to continue onward rather than pounding on a practice pad. Second, it's already built up a bit of limb independence which is essential. From the book I bought (The Best Beginning Drum Book...how could I not buy it with a title like that) I've been spending time working through exercises.

I have good meter as well from playing guitar and that's been hugely helpful. I'm sure if I hadn't played an instrument before this it would have taken longer to understand the subdivisions of time.

What I can play now is fairly basic. I'm not nearly up to shuffle beats...just straight 8th note rhythms although if I'm feeling saucy I can alter my bass drum beats so I'm hitting on the "&" rather than on the down beat. It'll be some time before I'm ready for primetime :D

18. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Unable to practice at this time:

[​IMG]

Bowmap likes this.
  19. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-O-Master

My brother was a drummer. Fortunately, he's still with us, since all those homicidal threats about the d-----d racket from the rest of the family turned out to be just so much hot air.

20. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Well @Mouse you have had practice with the Knees Moving so that's a good foundation :)