My Fender Deluxe Reverb Clone -- Vibrato Noise- Why? Your experiences?

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by TechStringer, Jan 1, 2021.

1. TechStringer

TechStringer New Member!

My Fender Deluxe Reverb Clone
    will be a big part of my new year. I took an old Univox combo-cab and converted it into a (variation) on the Fender '65 AB763 circuit(s). When I say "I", I am including my amp guy as the brains of the operation. I simply asked for and paid for, the surgery. I did the "structural" work, which mostly involved trying to correct for the differences between the ideal Fender cabinet and the cab I had. Yes, I am cheap! This is not a point-to-point vintage recreation but rather a down-to-earth player amp that used '68 Reissue PC boards. I did swap some capacitors and a couple resistors. I had a "trim pot" installed to in effect, create a mids control. This is on the rear of the chassis so it does not effect the look of the front of the amp.

The amp sounds really detailed, rich and focused so I am pleased overall. The dynamics are incredible! There is however, one practical (obvious) problem. The Vibrato (tremolo) is noisy when it's active. If I wanted a clock in my amp, I would get a digital metronome and send it to one of my "extra" inputs. Uhm F-DLX1.jpg F-DLX2.jpg F-DLX3.jpg ...bad!! Whether it's "my bad", is unclear at this point. Maybe if another capacitor was inserted before (and/or after) the optoisolator this would fix the unwanted noise? I am hoping some wise heads out there will have some easy fix ideas. Anyone?
    Try to forgive my awkward photos.
    Thanks in advance of your ideas/comments!!

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. clydethecat

clydethecat Senior Stratmaster

3. TechStringer

TechStringer New Member!

Thank you Clyde! You're the best.
    I will check this out...
    Happy New Year to you & yours!

4. clydethecat

clydethecat Senior Stratmaster

I don't know why that ended up so small...

5. TechStringer

TechStringer New Member!

My reply shows the "thumbnail" version. The original size was fine!
    - Clint