My first and maybe the only tele, which one to get?

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Karol, Jul 11, 2021.

1. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

No, it’s a 2011 American Special body with a 2014 American Standard channelbound neck swapped onto it. Cheetah pup set, compensated brass saddles, (must be compensating for something), and flipped the control plate so I can make pinky swears with the volume knob.

I like it so much I have not bothered yet trying the am. special neck on the standard.

See?, that’s the other cool thing about Fender parts, it’s like baseball cards for guitar dorks, fun trading stuff around.

Karol and surfnturf like this.
  2. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

I’d go with the white Tele with maple neck.

Karol likes this.
  3. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

I echo save up a bit and hop on a Performer, though MIM's are lifers with a few choice upgrades.

Karol likes this.
  4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

+1 :)

StratUp, Karol and heltershelton like this.
  5. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

Thank you all, for your thoughts. I think that I woke up convinced that it should be a Fender then...

MIA Pro or Performer crossed my mind but couldn't find a look I like... and the looks of a guitar appeals to me a lot. That's the reason why I take it to noodle for a bit, cause it looks so nice :D Maybe in the future they would release the colour I like and I could trade the Player in.

Besides the neck, would you say that the only thing to upgrade would be pups and maybe a new bridge with brass compensated saddles?

6. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

I 100% agree with trying first... I had American Strat Pro before in candy apple red, but sold it, as didn't like it. It was funny as I liked it in the shop, but at home it was only looking nice... it must be connected to the fact that I'm not that good of player, so when I try a guitar I also don't know what to expect that much...

Trying also means waiting for a while until the lockdown ends and stocks are back up... as no Tele in Sydney in a colour I like :( So I could always shoot in the dark, and see if I like it... I come with no expectations as I didn't play 100s of Teles... in fact I played none. I only know I like the shape, scale and how it feels on the lap (because got Acoustasonic Tele). So even if I don't get the right one, I won't have a comparison :confused: And it will always sound heaps better than the pup I have in Acoustasonic Tele (I probably shouldn't even think about comparing...). Also it will sustain longer, and just feel better with electric strings on it.

henderman likes this.
  7. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

A couple of years ago I *almost* bought a Player Tele, in Polar White – it's a great look!! I didn't quite have the funds – and the urge has left me (for now!...), but if I was to get one, it would definitely be in White... I remember when I was looking on YT at the time, and coming upon this video... – AMAZING playing, I bet this 50 second clip sold 50 of these guitars, if not more!!

Karol likes this.
  8. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

It may sell one more very soon...

J4ME5 likes this.
  9. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

I would not want to play a guitar without fretboard markers. I use both the ones on the side and on the board.

Stainless steel frets are well worth it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Karol likes this.
  10. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

Currently I'm mostly relying on the fretboard markers... but at the same time I know that if I use the ones on the side I will have a better posture. So Chapman would force me to do so... or annoy me... who knows...

StratoMutt likes this.
  11. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

I don't know anything about a Chapman, but a Fender Tele would survive an apocalypse and Keff.

12. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

So I could potentially stretch the budget, although preferably I would stay within the range of Player Tele... but I feel what you mean - if it's the one and only I could spend more to keep it for life. And I probably would but there's no polar white option in a pro range... and I'm not really a fan of this retro off-white looking yellow-ish colour...

13. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

I'd get the Player, then. 100% You can always upgrade it down the road if you feel the need to. You can change the pickups in teles in about 5 minutes, very easy (or have someone do it cheap). And it's not like the stock ones are awful. Bridge/saddle change is easy, etc. Teles are easy ;-)

Karol likes this.
  14. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Bought my tele a couple years ago
    Player series
    Bought 2 more player series strats after that.
    Great guitars.
    Ya might need to take care of a fret end or 2 & it'll definitely need a set up ( watch a few vids if ya don't know how)
    But like I said
    Great guitars

Karol likes this.
  15. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

16. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

17. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

I'm not against what you said... but I probably won't agree either hehe. The looks (colour included) invite me to play the guitar... I can't probably explain it properly, but when I walk in the room and see my black and gold Gretsch, I want to play it... even for a second... I want the same to happen with Tele...

Yeah price difference is huge... although I showed my wife and she prefers Ultra's looks too... she's a piano player - she wants our music room to looks cool I guess :D

StratUp and Bowmap like this.
  18. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

The answer is simple.
    Wait until your trigger finger has stopped itching.

From a fellow local, it is NOT the time to be GASSING FOR ANYTHING while in lockdown.

Instead spend your time perusing everything, and narrow down your focus on to something that you don't just want, but will not be disappointed with or worse - want to send back if you somehow make the silly decision to buy something online, when there are so many stores with good gear that you can actually go and play... IF you do the sensible thing and WAIT.

Chipss36 likes this.
  19. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

The strap locks and locking tuners extra carves. Whatever that means. Is just extra baggage to me. I would go for the Player Telecaster. If you don't like the colour options, just get a butterscotch blonde with a black pickguard if you can. Mexicans are good too. I have one. Those Mexicans sure know how to make guitars. Could you imagine working there? Anyway. Just get a Fender so the mods you choose will fit. But their stock guitars are great. Don't let the case it comes with have any bearing in the guitar that you want. Case can come later. So can the mods. I hope this helps.

Karol likes this.
  20. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

Oh. Yeah. The color makes a HUGE difference because the white reflects all of the color frequencies so they dont interfere with the sonic characteristics of the guitar. Also. The White reflects any kind of unwanted infrared rays that might even cook your guitar. And white let's your guitar change color in the stage lights. And the titanium dioxide in the white paint makes a very special sound, Indeed! The titanium although non magnetic, certainly lends to the classic, vintage tones. And if you believe that, I got some swampland to sell you.