My first Martin....26 yrs old and played in

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by joe_cpwe, Oct 8, 2021.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Sort-of wanting a better acoustic for years (been playing a 40 yr old Yamaha forever) and rarely impressed when I grab most acoustics at stores, I decided to drive 90 minutes each way last night for a single owner 1995 Martin DM. It was well played in by him. So, it has spots of play wear, plus what seems like a pretty thin satin finish. No flash, just tone.

Sound is much richer than the Yamaha and I'm happy with it. Came with original case and papers he had. He had a passive piezo installed, not sure how that sounds. I know there's lots of choices out there for newer instruments, and better electronics, but I like this one and it should hold value if/when I decide to move it for something different.

My wife suggested we start a duo (she's piano and sings) and play out, restaurants, wineries, etc. so this will be used for that and at church. She's never was interested in playing out before but now kids are moving out so it will give us something to do together.

20211008_114107.jpg

20211008_114123.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  2. AndyF

AndyF Strat-Talk Member Platinum Supporting Member

That looks like a beauty! I'm glad it went to a good home.

I've owned Martins for 36 years. Bought my first HD-35 new in 1985, bought a D12-28 new in 2000, and bought a D-41 new in 2001 (Bonus check purchases :)) oddly they were both built in 2000.

Martins are known for having a very light finish. I think part of that is what gives them their tone. The wood vibrates better with just a thin finish coat.

EC Strat and joe_cpwe like this.
  3. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I have also been playing my Yamaha for 20 years now. I love the tone it produces and I love the neck. If I were ever to upgrade I would want a Martin too. The wear on your new used one looks reasonable and the neck shape looks perfect. Congratulations!

I've been trying to get my wife to perform with me since we met in 2000. It only happened once at church. I wonder if she'll change her mind when the kids move on?

AndyF and joe_cpwe like this.
  4. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

A 26 year old Martin built in 2005? Not for another 10 years! Still a sweet guitar, though.

Bill, tgo

joe_cpwe and vid1900 like this.
  5. joe_cpwe

I've though we could do this for a long time, but this time around it's her idea so I want to go for it.
    We met in college 33 yrs ago as music majors. We've played at wedding ceremonies a number of times and at church for almost 20 yrs. She has a wonderful voice and has done many more weddings than me, and 100s of funerals. She also gives piano lessons. I've been the one playing in rock bands. Once she finishes her masters degree we can get more serious about putting material together.

The band I'm in now (I was not gigging for almost 20 years) plays 2-3 times a month, I should be able to book the duo on off nights, afternoons, Sundays...that sort of thing.
    Income from my band gigs paid for this Martin, and also two used Les Paul's this year so I'm pretty enthusiastic about this new idea.
    We talked about saving up money from when we play for a Hawaii trip.

EC Strat likes this.
  6. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

OMG, fractions are next...

joe_cpwe likes this.
  7. joe_cpwe

My mistake, it's a 1995. I just edited the OP

Willmunny and vid1900 like this.
  8. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

sweet. both the guitar and the plans for the duo!

joe_cpwe likes this.
  9. joe_cpwe

I've not played acoustic enough to spend a lot on one, nor really had the expendable resources. If anything, now I've got a good baseline guitar if/when I go shopping for a nicer acoustic. I really like Gibson Advanced Jumbo's. They used to be just out of reach...now they're really priced high (for me)

10. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Ain’t nothin’ like a Martin!

I have a D35 that’s 34 years old - can’t put it down.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  11. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Nice! I picked up a ‘96 DM about 5 years ago. I think they’re underrated guitars, made in USA and can be had for a reasonable price compared to most full size Martin dreads. Mine sounds great, the whole guitar vibrates under my arm when I strum chords, it’s the best acoustic I’ve owned so far. Enjoy yours!

joe_cpwe likes this.
  12. TOL-STRAT

TOL-STRAT Strat-Talk Member

Beauty! Enjoy! I've 3 Martins all keepers. OM42PS / HDN Negative / 00C-FMBUAE.

13. joe_cpwe

Happy to be part of the Martin club

I knew there had to be some DM owners here. :thumb:
    This was sort of a snap decision. Guitar had been on Marketplace for 5 weeks, and he recently dropped the price by $100. I did some online searching and found majority stellar comments about the DM. I'm glad to have it. I'm not saying for the money there wouldn't be something better....but this has a nice tone, harmonics jump out much more than the Yamaha, it can be loud and warm and plays very well enough so I'm a happy guy. Definite upgrade for me.

StratSounds likes this.