Join Strat-Talk Today

My First Strat...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Juaniste, Jul 17, 2019.

1. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Fair enough. I will just add that I have two Japanese Fenders - one MIJ from '89 and one more recent CIJ -, as well as a Fender Classic Player Telecaster (MIM), and to me the Squier Classic Vibe is on the same level, not taking into consideration things like modern specs versus vintage specs. In other words the Squier CV is that good. It's hard to beat it. But I understand the desire to have something "more special", which doesn't always translates to exactly better. Maybe "more expensive". I had to buy three Fenders to finally accept that people were right when they said the Squier CV is a perfectly good guitar - even when compared to guitars worth four or five times its value.

I would suggest taking a look at some used Classic Series or Classic Player Strats. Those are MIM. The new Player series seems to be very nice and people say good things about them, but in South America they may take a while to get to a reasonable price. Where I live they haven't even arrived yet, and I'm not far from you. I would personally stay away from Mexican Standards (except for the ones made around 2010). I think the American Standards from 2014 look like pretty nice guitars, not vintage-style of course, but also not too modern.

Other models like the Jimmie Vaughan (MIM) have a good reputation. For this model I would prefer the ones made after the year 2000 as they have Alder bodies instead of Poplar.

I personally like Japanese guitars in general, especially Fenders. The ones made from the mid-80's into the mid-90's are more desirable IMO. But a CIJ (Crafted in Japan - the ones made after 1997) are also excellent instruments and many times on par with the older ones.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Andrew Wasson and Juaniste like this.
  2. Juaniste

Juaniste Strat-Talk Member

GREAT advice! I've been looking some CIJ and MIJ. beautiful strats but I'm afraid of the super chunky necks...

3. Juaniste

also great advice, the amount if wisdom here is priceless for real haha, I have no problem if it is mexico japan or america, I just don't really love China or Indonesia...

4. Juaniste

WOW a lot of great info here. would definitely try again a Squier CV, what classic player era would you recommend? I think the 60s might have the less thicker neck of the whole classic player range, but I loooove maple necks so... thanks on the info about japanese fender! any date or time period that you recommend? thanks so much to all of you guys. In a few weeks I'll tell you which one I got and surely add pics of THE ONE STRAT haha. THANKS SO MUCH

rafasounds likes this.
  5. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Honestly, every country in the world has artists, craftsmen, and hacks. The companies getting junk from China or anywhere else are getting what they pay for. I have a Chinese-made Alvarez that is very well-made.

Juaniste likes this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

E77CF290-7454-4C0C-828F-246F800462FF.jpeg
    I had two really good Squier Vntage Modified guitars and the were made in Indonesia, and the only problems that needed to be addressed was that the adjustment screws on the saddles stripped, and had to be replaced with Mexican saddles. Hey had narrow nuts as well. Something like 42 MM. but I sold one, and passed the V Mod Telecaster deluxe to my son, as he wanted a Bar Guitar. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Fender wide range HB. And a new pearloid guard.

Juaniste likes this.
  7. Juaniste

woooowww sirr that looks beautiful!!! congrats! musts sound so too

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Yeah it sounds so good. Probably wouldn’t be able to actually take it out until December. But my son’s roommate thought it was awesome. My son covered up the logo with a piece of tape. He was shocked that it was a Squier.

Juaniste likes this.
  9. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

The American Performer also has the Modern C neck with jumbo frets.

The MIM Road Worns have “tall narrow” frets, and the necks are slightly thicker but also slightly narrower than most American models. The 50s version has a soft V shape and maple board. The 60s version has a pau ferro board and vintage C shape.

The tall narrow frets will feel different, but you might like them since you like jumbos.

Btw, there is a lot of bias against pau ferro, primarily because it isn’t as dark as rosewood I think. Personally, I like it, especially if there is some figure in the grain.

Juaniste likes this.
  10. Juaniste

awesome info!! when you say "narrower" is it that the fretboard isn't "tall"? haha sorry for my english. but that migh be what I'm looking for! I like jumbos but I can get used to tall narrows!

11. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

You speak (or write) English better than many of my fellow citizens.

The American Pro, American Original, and Road Worn Strats use 6105 fret wire. It is slightly taller than jumbo frets, but not as wide at the base (where it sits on the fretboard). It is called both “tall narrow” and “vintage tall”, but they are identical.

Other common Fender fret sizes are “medium jumbo” (semi-wide base but very low, like a jumbo fret that has been recrowned several times) and “vintage” (the smallest size).

Opinions vary widely, so go by what feels good to you.

Juaniste likes this.
  12. Juaniste

oohhh I see! So I think I'll be a lot more comfortable with medium jumbos. thanks!!

13. Juaniste

Sorry for bothering but what about Tokais?? are those a good deal? I've heard that goldstar silver star and springy sound are good but the pickups are a little bit darker than fenders pickups

14. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

The model you “absolutely loved” had jumbo frets (NOT medium jumbo). You may still prefer medium-jumbos though.

Juaniste likes this.
  15. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

images.jpeg

Juaniste likes this.
  16. rafasounds

If you like Maple boards, the CP 50's would be the one. Just have in mind that these have a 2-point tremolo (modern), different switching and a flatter board, probably 12 inch radius. If you want full-on vintage specs, the right one would be a Classic Series 50's, or a Road Worn. You can find a good one used. They were made until last year, so you can find one relatively new.

As for Japanese Fenders, I would recommend a MIJ (Made in Japan) from any year. These were made only until '96 or so. There are many designations for MIJ guitars, but if you prefer vintage specs, the right ones would be either an ST-54, an ST-57 or an ST-62, which are based on these respective years. The maple board ones would be the ST-54 and ST-57. There are other years too (ST-68, ST-72 etc), but these are less common. Each of these models has "levels", which are numeric designations that represent the value of the guitar in yens at the time. Generally there will be an entry one, a middle one, and a top one. Fender Japan is kind of complicated to understand, you have to do a lot of reading and researching, as things and denominations get confused depending on year, etc. Usually the entry models have Basswood bodies and ceramic pickups. Middle ones may have Alder bodies and Alnico pickups. The higher models *may* have nitro finishes and more fancy electronics. But again these are just general lines. Sometimes the middle model can be Basswood, sometimes the higher one may not be Nitro (in fact Japanese Fenders in nitro finishes are extremely rare). Welcome to the complicated world of Fender Japan. This is a journey in which the only remedy is to read all you can online. I've given you just general directions. If you have any specific doubts feel free to PM me.

There are also the CIJ ones that I mentioned (Crafted in Japan). These are sometimes regarded as inferior, but I have an amazing CIJ ST-62. It's kind of hit or miss. Those were made from '97 onwards until 2010 or so.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Juaniste likes this.
  17. Juaniste

wow!! Fender Japan seems reeallly complicated for a first strat... maybe I'll start reading everything online and then think about it. And the CP 50s is a great choice!! they may even had gone down on price since the new vintera... My only concern is the size of the neck, is it a big baseball neck or the CP is neck is more a modern neck? Thanks so much guys this is being very very helpful!!

rafasounds likes this.
  18. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Welcome from Ireland :D

Juaniste likes this.
  19. rafasounds

I have never played a Classic Player Strat, but I suspect they are not too thin. Probably a meaty C shape. I only have experience with a Classic Player Telecaster, the Baja, which has perhaps one of the fattest necks in the market apart from CS stuff.

20. Juaniste

Ok! that's good to know! The only things that bothers me about the CP50 is the wiring of the 5 way pickup selector. the 4th position activated bridge and neck, instead of neck and middle... that is weird haha. Maybe it is period accurate? For now I'm still leaning towards the am special but still looking for good deals on a mexican deluxe strat. It is a 12" inch radius, I can stand it, tho I'd preffer 9.5

rafasounds likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.