Join Strat-Talk Today

My first wah pedal - cry baby ?????

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by SilvaStrat, Jun 15, 2016.

1. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-O-Master

guys I decide that i going to go for some analog pedals , and the first one I am looking in buying is wah pedal , I have my eyes set on the "Dunlop JC95 Jerry Cantrell Signature Cry Baby Wah"
    i did reviews and saw videos , i like so far .
    my question is - some people hate Cry BabYs pedals in general
    do you hate it ? way ?

if not cry babys - what then would be a better choice ?

or do you love Cry Babys?

I guess that make 4 question , but what hell ,,,lol

thanks

2. nicholas

nicholas Strat-Talker

Do you want a wah for funky stuff or for rock? In my experience, you have to learn how to use the wah. The concept isn't complicated but in practice it takes, well, practice. I think Dunlop is the way to go.

Every time I hear some awesome wah usage on a song, I turn to my friend and ask him if he still doesn't need one.

liltimmy likes this.
  3. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

To me, a wah pedal is like a floyd rose..its a fun thing to have but easy to over use (cough..Kirk Hammett..cough). In that respect I don't know if I'd make it my first pedal since you wont, or shouldn't, be using it all the time....but you could pick worse first pedals I guess. As far as what kind of wah to go for, it depends on the style of music you are playing...I bought and sold 3 original crybaby's (which kept finding to be too trebly for my tastes) before trying and loving a wylde wah. The Cantrell wah is supposed to be really nice but I've never played one so can't comment on it.

4. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Cant go wrong with a Cry-Baby.
    "Back in the day" (yea, Im old) when I had very limited financial means, my wha doubled as a mid-boost for my leads.
    I had an old Morley that gave a great mid boost in the middle "cocked" position.
    Im not sure, but I think a Cry-Baby will do that as well.

5. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster

Original Cry-Baby for me.

I don't use it all the time but when I do, I use it to give my lead work a pseudo human voice, vocal quality. It conjures up the vowel sounds to your phrasings when used that way.

6. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a Dunlop Cry Baby volume wah. Bought it used for less than the original would have been, and its a workhorse. Originally purchased it to play Voodoo Chile (slight return), and the volume feature was just extra.

I'll use it half cocked open for a treble boost on some solos, and with the volume booster one it doubles as a boost pedal. Add a little more oomph to the distortion.

7. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

For a long time I used an ancient wah-wah that my older brother had bought second-hand some time in the '60s! It was a lot of fun but very crackly. About 20 years ago I bought a George Daniels unit with optical control, and that was great - quite intuitive to use and no crackling. I never use it though. But maybe I'll dig it out for fun for one of the improv challenges.

8. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Who likes wah generally but also hates cry babies? Can't go wrong with a cry baby, original, classic, signature of somebody, whatever. Just remember, use with taste.

9. 76Burst

76Burst Strat-Talker

I'll admit I have limited experience with different wah pedals but I do own an Ibanez Weeping Demon which I find to be well constructed, quiet and has lots of different settings to try.

10. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

Vox all the way. I'd definitely go for a handwired model if I was in the market. But I won't buy another wah wah until they fall out of favor again.

nicholas likes this.
  11. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

The JC wah is pretty cool, especially (imo) for Rock. I use the 535Q which is very tweakable and covers everything from Roots to Metal.

nicholas likes this.
  12. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

I've played a LOT of wahs, my current one is the Cry Baby Classic with the Fasel inductor. I really think it has the best tone out there, very vocal like in my humble opinion..

13. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

As someone else said, it takes practice. And of course it's one of the pedals that's used in certain situation, not all the time. While the signature models and the Clyde are supposed to be a big step above the standard original Cry Baby, they of course come at a premium. I, for one, don't play in situations and am probably not a good enough player to warrant spending the extra money on a premium wah. I was lucky enough to find an original in mint condition for $39 and had $30 in gift coupons so it was pretty much a no brainer for me. It's a nice novelty to have, but I don't use it that often and for the net price I'm happy to own it.

You're in Ft Worth, so I'm sure there are some stores that you can find a few different pedals and try them out GC and Sam Ash offer 45 days return so you can even take one or two home with you to try for awhile.

Good luck.

nicholas and Hammer 4 like this.
  14. flynnstone

flynnstone Strat-O-Master

I have a crybaby and a Vox I like them both . But they definitely have different tone . I think if I were looking at new I'd look at the xotic or one of the other models where you can control the parameters of the pedal more .

nicholas likes this.
  15. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

The Cry Baby is good, but I prefer the Vox wah. I just like the Vox sound a little better, but of course that's personal preference.

Stud-fox and liltimmy like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Strat-O-Master

Fulltone Clyde for me. Just preferred the sound over the rest.

dbolt and Hammer 4 like this.
  17. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

i also own the Zakk Wylde crybaby and i really like it. i think this is the third or 4th wah pedal ive had and its staying. im sure the JC wah is awesome too.....just never played through one. you really cant go wrong with the dunlop.

18. davidKOS

davidKOS playing, teaching, recording Strat-Talk Supporter

When my 1972 Cry-Baby finally needed serious repair, about 8 years ago, I replaced the circuit board with the drop-in Dunlop basic Crybaby circuit board. It sounds better than ever, I also recommend the basic Cry Baby, really it sounds good and is all you need.

Textele likes this.
  19. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster

I have the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, pretty versatile, but not for everyone, unless your looking for a Hendrix, or Trower type of sound, it can vary from that some. I just find that it has more to offer than the old cry baby I bought in 1995..YMMV.

20. Davesband

Davesband Senior Stratmaster

I don't use wah pedals so much but I really like the Dunlop 535Q Cry Baby.
    You can completely tweak it to your liking.

nicholas likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.