My friend paid $230 CDN for this custom "Tele" from some guy in the US

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ido1957, Jul 2, 2021.

1. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I just said "oh that's nice"... He's upgrading with locking tuners, new pickguard, alnico pickups, getting rid of the gold hardware (parts from Wish I believe). Nice guy, didn't want to rain on his new purchase...

204595167_523767325714871_6167680620778010175_n.jpg

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

does he believe it to be a real fender?

3bolt79 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

That's one of those fake Aliexpress fake Fenders that are ALL OVER in Canada.....I hope you told him it's not legitimate as a Fender....they're made from the ground up to be counterfeit and sell for only about $200 shipped to the USA brand new....

It's a shame he got ripped on this and is going to sink even more like $100-200 into it. He could have just gotten a used Classic Vibe....

4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

230 CDN doesn’t sound like too bad of a deal. HNGD! Well maybe it isn’t. HNGD anyway!

ido1957 likes this.
  5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

:(:(:( When u gonna bust his bubble ?

Mr_10awg, 3bolt79 and ido1957 like this.
  6. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely. He is aware it is not a "real" Fender and doesn't care. We discussed it before it arrived and figured it was maybe a cast off from the factory because the "guy" said he worked for Fender (doubt it).

The missing walnut plug and shoddy pick guard et al made me think Chinese fake right away. He said this is the second one he's bought from the guy (second "Tele").

I don't want to get too into it with him, because it wouldn't change his mind. He buys a lot of "stuff" from Wish thinking he's getting a good deal compared to the stores. Getting a deal is his objective.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  7. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Strat-Talk Member

well. live and let live i suppose. he feels like he got a deal and maybe some dude in China made enough money to keep the kids fed for another week.

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

LOL @ the seller claiming they worked for Fender and saying it's some kind of factory 2nd, heard that story before....

Hey as long as your friend is happy with the end result, but I hope he never sells it because it'll be putting a fake in the marketplace....

CB91710, simoncroft, ido1957 and 2 others like this.
  9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

If he doesn't care that it's not Fender, then send him over to Monoprice and have him look at their stuff. It's an actual deal with quality stuff (mostly) and can be had for roughly the same price..

Got a cherry burst strat, solid ash, maple neck, RW board, Alnicos, Wilkinson trem. $194 to my door. Fit and finish are great, no sprout, high frets, buzzing...playable right out of the box. Oh..and it shipped with a gig bag.

10. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Anyone from Canada or Minnesota takes an "Oh that's nice" compliment with a big grain of salt lol...

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  11. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

I recently looked at one of those on their ebay site, what is the neck profile slim, chunky, etc.?

ido1957 likes this.
  12. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

They say it's a C. I tend to prefer chunkier necks, given a choice, but this one plays really nice. I have medium hands and can't do much thumb over stuff but it allows me to do some.

I haven't had the strings slacked yet to do an accurate measurement but it appears to be about .90 at the first fret and maybe .93 at the 12th...give or take a cent or two, so the equivalent of a Fender Chunky-1 C.

The nut is 1.65" and ABS so I'll probably upgrade that at some point, but it's cut fine and workin'. Radius is 13.78" and frets are medium jumbo, I think. 2.3mm/.09"

Pups are Alnico V. I measure them at :
    6.2K (N), 6.6K (M), 7.0K (B)

Haven't even so much as adjusted the heights yet. They came well-balanced volume wise..no ice pick and respond well to the vol and tone controls. Tons of spank on the bridge.

Even the floating trem was set up pretty close to specs and I only had to intonate the low E.

I haven't opened it up yet but they might skimped and used dime size pots or something. Wouldn't know from playing it though.

EDIT/Caveat: It is a bit heavy, over 10. Once I get done havin fun playing it I'll put a swimming pool rout and drill a bit under the p/g for some relief. It's a pretty thick slab of ash, about 1.86" on the upper horn.

Rudedawg likes this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Here in the south we say..."Bless your heart".

14. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

And this is why people get upset when someone puts a fender decal on anything not fender.
    Oh, but I'll never sell it....bullchit

15. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

That's why I recently 'debranded' the Warmoth/Hefner/Lace parts-caster I put together years ago, and is still my go-to guitar. The neck was originally on a complete guitar I bought from a friend. Turned out the neck was the best fit for my hand ever, but I didn't like the rest of the guitar, so sold the parts.

I know what my guitar is, but it shouldn't say Fender, so I stripped the logo off.

Strat Debranded.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

I mean, there's only so much a real custom shop can do a 200$ counterfeit can't... at this point If you like the thing just play it. AFD from guns and roses was played on a counterfeit and i never heard anyone complaining about the guitar pn it...

17. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Can’t say anything about a blurry picture with a dumpy background

18. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

You mean... have a working truss rod, intonate properly, stay in tune, play smoothly and comfortably, and actually SOUND halfway decent?

Ya... These $80 Glarry and $200 counterfeits are pure junk.

59886770.jpg

Andrew Wasson and ido1957 like this.
  19. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

Nothing a half decent luthier can't fix... if you pay it cheap those guitars are just fine, it won't make your 4,99$ licks sound like a million bucks that's for sure.

20. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I just did something similar. Bought a partscaster from Lonn with a gorgeously figured, chunky, Warmoth neck with gold frets and waited for months to find just the right body. By the time I did, I had all most of the rest of it and it just came together. It's got no decal, but it's become my go to...

20210612_120206.jpg 20210612_120915.jpg 20210626_150005.jpg

Sureshot33 likes this.