My grumpy old man thread (why technology pisses me off)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Malikon, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

wow man, crap luck. I did the same thing with a computer certification. Spent $2,000. on textbooks and tests, got certified, just in time for hardware prices to drop so fast that people just replaced their computers instead of paying to have them fixed or custom built.

I can never figure out what job I should actually have, I've had tons and have learned a lot of great skills, but I keep getting pulled back into music. Which frustrates me. The pay is constant and I'm happy to be making money at a time when I've got friends out of work and everything. But at the same time, no benefits, no paid time off, and no real money. Just enough to keep pushing on. People tell me to save,.....ha ha ha,..save what?

Maybe highway-one was onto something when he mentioned kidney selling and stuff, lol.

2. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

damn malikon, i gotta say, i'm pretty happy i'm not you!

:)

3. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

it could be worse, it could always be much worse. all in all I eat everyday and have a roof over my head, and I ***** about wanting more guitars so it's not all bad.

Oh yeah, and my girl is smoking hot too. That helps take the sting out of life considerably.

It's all an adventure, wouldn't be any fun if it were easy.

4. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

very true. you're also a good 11 years older than i am. now i'm out of college, but i'm just going to get a random job and see what i can do with my music. gotta take that risk or i'm sure i'll regret it the rest of my life. my friends think i'm crazy, but they haven't really heard my music either so... we will see! the nice part about music is if it fails, it's no big deal. if you get fired from a job though, that could hurt you

5. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Take my advice - never think like this! Loosing your job can hurt your career but it shouldn't hurt you. Especially if we're talking about those random jobs you mentioned.

6. Ray-Boy

Ray-Boy Senior Stratmaster

I like goofing around, probably more than average, but I like it with a guitar in my hands. I don't mind your rant, Malikon. Last time I checked, nobody was holding a gun to my head, forcing me to read it.

I have to say, I LOVE THE CONVENIENCE of the iPod. The biggest thing to me is the fact that I can carry my entire music library in my shirt pocket when I travel. I find that worth a lot. I guess I'm too disorganized but my wife and I have something like 20 linear feet of CDs and keeping them organized and clean and the whole thing requires time that I'd rather devote to other pursuits (like guitars).

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR A CELLPHONE under the right circumstances but I'll admit that I don't understand who all these people are who can't walk their dog or take out the garbage without being so important that they can't disconnect for ten seconds.

But different strokes, right?

7. crumbum

crumbum Strat-Talker

My rant? Texting- and internet spelling.

Especially when people want to make some sort of point, they break down to idiot spelling in an effort to inflect accent or attitude. Yer fellas git wot I talkin bout?

I got a note last week that I could not for the life of me figure out what the other person was trying to tell me.

Also, people using the word UNCONSCIOUS when they mean SUBCONSCIOUS.

8. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Those are two different terms but both of them are legitimate. ;)

Then again ... I'm not sure whether the people you were talking about know that.

9. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I can spell for the most part, but I can't type for *^**. Spell check is always good. I don't know how to use it on here or if its available. And what s the difference between unconcious and ...zzzzzzz

10. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Subconscious usually refers to a 'layer' of the psyche beneath the conscious (sort of like a basement for the everyday thoughts - things you've temporarily forgotten, things you're not thinking about right now and such but ... needless to say - it's a bit more complex than this).

Unconscious mind is much more interesting because it contains thoughts and ideas you have really forgotten and it is also a much deeper layer of psyche. The deepest layers (the term used for these layers by Carl Jung was 'collective unconscious') are the ones that define us as human beings . Since I'm not a psychologist or anything like that I won't go any further. I have my own understanding of these phenomena for sure but I'm also sure there are members who can explain this much better than me.

Anyway, for me, those deeper levels of psyche are epitomized by these two beautiful pieces of music:

YouTube - Erik Satie - Gnossienne nº 3

YouTube - Cocteau Twins - Whales Tails

11. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

I have had so many jobs besides music, had family to support, but i always ended up back on the circuit because its all i ever wanted to do.

3 pieces of advice for anyone that want to play pro
    1: forget about delusions of grandeur
    2: Just be yourself
    3: Just do it, get out and have a go, but dont be a rock star with all the BS, it wont get you far, just be nice and humble and if you have the talent the rest will follow.

oh i forgot all your guitars and kit are tax deductions ;)

12. crumbum

crumbum Strat-Talker

Unconscious is actually a state of being devoid of consciousness altogether. For instance, if you get knocked out or go into a coma.

Therefore, when someone says "that was an unconscious reaction", what they mean is that they must have temporarily have gone into a coma or lost consciousness.

13. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Great ... but that's a whole different story. In your previous post you mentioned people who say 'unconscious' instead of 'subconscious'? It didn't sound like it had something to do with someone falling into coma and being transported to the ER, it sounded like it had something to do with psychology.

To put it simply, if they say 'unconscious' instead of of 'subconscious', maybe they actually mean 'unconscious'? ;)

14. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Install the Google Toolbar on your browser, you get instant spell check in all internet forms -- including the text box when typing messages here. But in all other internet forms as well. Plus you get other great feature and it doesn't cost anything or slow your computer down.

http://www.google.com/toolbar/

15. BIGBOSSMAN

BIGBOSSMAN Strat-Talk Member

Grumpy

RE: My grumpy old man thread (why technology pisses me off)

Well Malikon I have to agree on most of what you said, and no its not a getting old thing, unfortunately its called progress, and sometimes progress takes its own route without asking anyone if they mind being dragged along for the ride. Not that progress is a bad thing. But it needs fuelling, and sometimes by money, especially given the mobile phone argument. WE ALL KNOW THEY FRY YOUR BRAIN! But we still use em, were constantly surrounded by radio waves, which are apparently harmless, but only to a certain degree and the SAR or specific absorbtion rate proves it or there wouldn't be one. Imagine all the lost revenue if we decided to trash anything with bluetooth or certain types of radio waves. These big companies would have to come up with other ways of making money. (Big breath) Anyway, and guitars...well I thought I better mention guitars as this is Strat-Talk.com lol, ah yes did I mention my guitar wireless? 'aaaaaaagh' there's no escape...

16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

So when you're playing your heart out and its good. Its like when your look at her and you don't have to ask how you did, is that unconcious or subconcious?

Seriously, you may think I a wack job for saying it, but I think good music is our link to a higher power (or something not sure its power I'm talking about). Just check out Hendrix "a mermaid I will be" You don't need to be on anything to realize that its from somewhere else.

17. Jazzy Strat T

Jazzy Strat T Strat-Talk Member

Strat-Talk, running Safari as a browser also does spell check on the fly on chat rooms and forums, too.

Technology? It stopped for me with vacuum tubes and the first or second generation of bipolar and field-effect transistors. Computers? A necessary inconvenience.

18. mallard

mallard Strat-Talk Member

its all about generations the further back in time you go the more they moan about the present. eg my grandad moaned about my dads generation loud music drugs blarrrrr my dad in return moaned about my generation computers mp3,s drugs drink blarrrr get me, I'm only 20 so give me 20 more years and ill probably be moaning about my kids generation. that's if we still have sex buy then perhaps we will end up taking the sex pill like that old film urrr barbarella was it.

19. Donovan

Donovan Strat-Talker

Now that is a tasty rant. Unfortunatel, if you were to turn back the clock to before these things existed, wouldn't they just reappear as a consequence of human nature or man's natural evolution? We LOVE to make things easier for ourselves. It allows us to expend less of our prescious energy, which is really just PC for it allows us to be more and moire lazy, get fatter, support the mindless (stupid) portion of our population, etc.

I have to disagree with this one. Learning on crap can be what turns someone off from the instrument. If it just can't be tuned for example, it's not going to give the new student that glimmer of hope when they realize "hey, I can make music!" I'm not sure how some struggle with poor equipment can make someone better. I always had decent guitars to play, not $3k PRS models, but guitars that were reliable and could be reasonably tuned, has reasonably playable action, etc. If I'd not, I'd probably not have remained interested long enough to learn more than "Sunshine of Your Love".

20. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Well I meant crap, not steaming piles of actual sh*t.

S101, Suzuki, Trinity River, Baltimore, all make crap guitars. But they'll hold a tune and you can learn on them. That's what I meant. They won't sound as nice, the body contours aren't as smooth and comfortable, the fret ends might nick you a bit here and there, but if you really want to play guitar you'll push through that work at it and get better. Then when you do get a good guitar, you appreciate all the little things that make it a better guitar. And if you couldn't deal with that and your poor ickle fingers hurt then maybe you were never really meant to be a player anyway. If you really want it, if it burns in your blood, you'll play any damn thing you can find with strings on it.

My first electrics were Aspen (LP copy), GTX (Jackson type copy), and Applause and Epiphone (Strat copies.) They were pretty bad, but I loved em and really put them through their paces. Then when I got my first real Jackson it was like, "wow this is so much better, so much easier!" And my playing was instantly better and faster because the guitar was easier to play. I couldn't have had that immediate advancement in skills as well as any real appreciation if I hadn't played crap for 2 years leading up to them.

I think we just have different ideas of what crap is. Crap is still playable, hell it's giggable. It's just crap. :)

You're thinking of complete garbage. That stuff's just firewood. At least that's the impression I got from your post. Not trying to be argumentative.

TonyW I gotta remember to PM you some questions about that tax deduction thing you mentioned. (once I figure out the questions, but you got me thinking.)