My grumpy old man thread (why technology pisses me off)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Malikon, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Axeaddict

Axeaddict Senior Stratmaster

OMG Malikon has been possessed by Andy Rooney...Someone get an exorcist quick :twisted:..

2. Suthrn_BLU_Sman

Suthrn_BLU_Sman Strat-O-Master

3. Donovan

Donovan Strat-Talker

Yep, you're right... a difference in terms I suppose. You're "crap" is my "mediocre", where my "crap" is your "steaming piles of actual sh*t".

Hehehe.

4. Bundini

Bundini Former Member

Back in Uganda again. Walked down the mountain to the Internet joint to check my mail,and see this pitiful thread. Here in Kapchora the people can grow food in their gardens, milk their cows, eat their chickens eggs and live in a hut with no NO electronic gadgets, screens, cell phones, twitter, face books, cars, malls, Visa cards. Tomorrow is not promised here, break your leg and you are dead from infection. The people here in this village are happier, less stressed out, eat dinner with their families and sleep like babies. They love their neighbors and trust in God. They cant understand why Americans are so miserable.

Why are you so miserable?

Got my acoustic, gonna go out and jam with my brothers and sisters. Got drums and the girls sing in perfect harmony, songs of praise and thankfulness to God who sustains us all.

5. charisjapan

charisjapan Strat-Talker

I thought it was fun...

Malikon, great rant! Where I live, all the "young'ns" have even MORE technology than my US nieces/nephews, but half (less?) the skill...

I dislike most of newfangled stuff you rant about, but I admit it was kinda cool to be with my daughter (newly graduated with Film and History majors) on top of the Acropolis and call my wife in Japan and say "Hi, dear, how're things?"

Otherwise, I like "manner mode" and defeat and disable switches and "Ten Commandments" special effects and quiet moments in music and film and analog art...

Pls keep kidding!

p.s. I'm still working on tuning by ear, one day I'll trash my BOSS tuner and get a tuning fork!

6. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

thanks I guess.

Tuning by ear is the best way to do it, it's not about tuning your guitar, it's about training your ear. Good luck man.

7. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Don't think you are, know you are! Stop trying to tune that guitar and tune it! :D

8. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

I think I just had a Yoda flashback.

"there is no try, there is only do."

you know,...or something.

9. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Well ... you do teach other people how to play the guitar so ... I guess we can call you Yoda if you'd like. :D

10. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

great so now I'm short and green. :)

I like to pretend I'm a Shaolin Guitarist, ninja of the fretboard with deadly fingers ready to take on any situation. Dedicating my life to the mastery of a guitar, only to learn 23 years into my journey that there's no such thing as a guitar master and I'll always be a student and I'll probably never have a day where I don't make a mistake.

Daggonit, now I want to go watch Star Wars movies. Luckily I know a guy who's a fan so he'll probably let me borrow the dvds.

11. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Well ... I did offer you a chance to be Morpheus but you wanted to be Yoda. "Take it like a man, boy." :)

Shaolin and ninja ... not very likely AFAIK. :neutral: Ninja (also a legitimate plural for ninja, and it sounds much better IMO) were hired assassins in feudal Japan (they also carried out other task such as espionage, sabotage ... pleasant guys - no doubt). Shaolin is an ancient Buddhist temple associated with Kung-Fu and I think it's in China. Maybe I'm mistaken but this is how I remember those facts (I was a student of Karate in the fifth grade so that was ... approx 17 years ago :D).

Now ... I know what you meant with your post but I had to come up with this rant and state my opinion which is: I generally hate violence and those Ninja and Samurai guys just don't appeal to me the way they used to. I hated leaving Karate though. That was about strength, discipline and respect for yourself and the others (and yes - this is the proper order). These are the principles I hold in high regard and strive to live by (boy do I write lengthy posts... :mrgreen:).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  12. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

with me I was raised with Judo and Western Boxing, Grandpa was a 5th degree black belt and was a Golden Gloves when he was young. I Always desperately wanted to learn Kung-Fu but I wasn't allowed. Now at my age and with a hurt back it seems pretty impossible to really think about taking lessons. I still like boxing a lot though and most of my exercises center around that style. (admittedly when I feel like exercising, which I haven't done much of since winter set it.)

I have to say I don't generally hate violence. I like it a lot actually, I just don't like when innocent people are hurt or violence for stupid reasons. But lock me in a room with a pedophile/rapist and I'd actually have a lot of fun for the day, (till he dies or bleeds out I suppose.)

I'm pretty violent with my guitar too sometimes, I think it's theraputic (sp?).

Cool that you took Karate, I can respect that. And nothing wrong with lengthy posts, lol.

13. charisjapan

charisjapan Strat-Talker

yer welcome probably

yer welcome probably.

Yeah, I hear ya! (pun kinda intended) That's just it, my friend. I have always been a mechanical type, and never trained my ear to "know" a pitch. Though I have led singing groups (church) for 20 years, I still need the pianist or guitarist to give me an Eb, or whatever. Since starting to play bass a few years ago, I am just finally beginning to "hear" E-A-D-G, but still not clearly enough to confidently match pitch with the rest of the band. I envy those who never had to think about this!! But you're right, I ain't giving up yet.

The weird thing is... I can clearly "hear" Al Hirt's trumpet playing "Flight of the Bumblebee," theme song of the Green Hornet, and Bruce Lee's debut as "Kay-toe" :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  14. Paulbiz

Paulbiz Senior Stratmaster

Malikon, you are a hero! I agree on every point but one...I love digital guitar tuners! I have a good ear but for recording I love the technology that lets me tune to perfection!

Nice post!! :)

15. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member Platinum Supporting Member

Yeah,
    And talk to me after your 5th Colonoscopy.......LOL

16. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

colonoscopy?? YIKES!!! No thanks, I'd like to take a pass on that if I can.

(No hero here, though it would explain the bat I drew on my chest with a Sharpie while I run around the house making "whoosh" noises wearing a cape. :) )

17. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Well ... this is the whole point. Innocent people get hurt easily and violence is pretty much always about something (really) stupid.

The only thing that would make me react with violence is violence itself. I'm a nice guy, polite and everything but If someone, for instance, grabbed my throat or something (not to mention worse than that) I wouldn't be nice and polite, I would start using my fists without a moment's hesitation. Other than that ... naaah .... I still keep my testosterone around, just in case, but I don't allow it to get the better of me. Grew up in violent times. Seen the really nasty side of violence. Nothing in it for me really.

18. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

yeah that's exactly how I feel too. I don't go around looking for trouble, but if trouble finds me I have no problems in retaliating with extreme prejudice.

19. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Yeah, Capt. Willard, you must terminate the Colonel ... with extreme prejudice! :mrgreen:

20. etechstan

etechstan Strat-Talker

There are somethings about technology I like. My career for one. I build and test lumbar scanners. I like the idea that I can have a recording studio in a laptop. What I don't like is substituting technology for talent; autotune and junk like that is making music hard to listen to.