Join Strat-Talk Today

My Japanese 1987 Fender Strat... Maybe?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Aslix, Sep 13, 2019 at 2:18 PM.

1. Aslix

Aslix Strat-Talk Member

Hi,

I'm a beginner and I'd like to know if this is a real Fender. If it is, I'd like to get to know more about it. I bought this Fender in the summer in a local guitar store in Finland.
    I never actually looked this guitar up in the internet before I bought it, but now I can't find anything similar to the guitar in the net.
    I hope you can help me out.

(it also has a tremolo system)

Sorry for the quality... 15683984097541380014687868477831.jpg 1568398457714874055142560703884.jpg 15683984967329162535198772579996.jpg

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum! OF COURSE this is a real Fender - it's made in Japan around 1987. The model is ST-535 but yours is a bit different as it has the same tremolo as the ST-455 and 456. This probably makes it an early example before the catalog for 1987 came out. It's probably 24.75" Gibson scale and 12" fretboard radius - can you measure and confirm?

https://stratomaniac.com/component/flippingbook/book/17/1?page=14&Itemid=357

Yves and Andrew Wasson like this.
  3. Aslix

Aslix Strat-Talk Member

Thank you!!
    I'm sorry, what do you mean by the measurements? And I'm so pleased to hear that it's an actual Fender, even a custom one. Thank you!

4. Guitarmageddon

Scale length is how long each string is from the nut behind the first fret, to the bridge saddles at the strumming end.......

99.9% of Fender Strats are 25.5" inches on average when you measure that......Gibson is shorter at 24.75" it means the playable string length is 3/4 inches shorter. Shorter scale length means less distance between frets, and easier to bend strings, and a different feel.

Fretboard radius is how curved the fretboard playing surface is. A more curved surface like Fender vintage 7.25" is usually easier to do chords, but is considered by most proficient lead players to sometimes be 'less faster' than a flatter fretboard. Most Fender guitars since the 1980s except vintage style models have a 9.5" fretboard radius. Gibson has 12", and your model has 12". If you look from behind the bridge, down at the neck, you can see the curvature of the end of the neck/fretboard.

It's not a 'custom one' - a factory original with at least one pickup changed, that's all....

Yves likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

That looks like it's in great condition.

One thing you may want to do if you are beginning/learning to play is 'block' the trem. Look up Eric Clapton and blocking trems and you'll see the way to go about it. That way you don't get distracted with a whammy bar, don't spend a lot of time chasing down returning to tuning after whammy gymnastics, if a string breaks the other strings stay in tune, and when you tune up before every practice session the tuning process goes four times as fast so you can get right into playing/practicing.

6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

The tremolo is the Kahler 2520 model - Fender just stopped using the System 1 unit (that was made for them by Schaller) and switched to the Kahler toward the end of 1986. I suspect they didn't necessarily re-shoot the catalog to make sure all of the guitars had the Kahler instead of the System 1.

Yves and Guitarmageddon like this.
  7. Aslix

Aslix Strat-Talk Member

Oh, I see I got about 65cm, so it would be around 25.5 inches. THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the info! I have been playing for a year now, mostly with an acoustic. I really know so little about guitars, but I am so thrilled to learn so much more about these beauties!
    My bad about the custom ****, got a little too excited

Yves likes this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Oh yeah true, it's just odd though when I google 'Fender ST535' in google images, I can't find a single other example with that Kahler 2520.....they all have the Fender System I or II or whatever it was....

9. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

It is real. And it is cool. I had a similar '85-ish model that was kind of a metallic salmon color. Wish I still had it. Played like a dream. I did hate changing strings on it because of the locking everything (think mine was a System rather than Kahler). Alas, though, I was young, had several guitars, needed money and had a willing buyer across the courtyard. Hence, no longer with me.

10. Guitarmageddon

Are you sure? I thought this model was supposed to be 24.75" When I said nut I mean the thin little black plastic looking piece the strings pass through before going to that locking mechanism behind it.....wasn't sure if you knew that sorry.

11. Aslix

Aslix Strat-Talk Member

Yea I'm quite sure, I at least know what the nut is XD, don't worry man I understand. I took a photo for u, I started to question myself too. I measured it from the nut. 15684049157736782300823427927085.jpg

Yves and Guitarmageddon like this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

Thanks! Nice to know!! info on these online isn't very abundant. That bridge pickup isn't original either so it looks like it's been modified, maybe the electronics have been too....

13. Aslix

Aslix Strat-Talk Member

I mean you have given more than enough info, and I'm so stoked to know more about this. I actually like the bridge pickup, it has more of the heavy sound to it. Hopefully the wiring isn't ****ed.. XD

14. Aslix

Aslix Strat-Talk Member

I actually checked the system today for the first time and it is funnily enough missing one spring. Thanks for the advise tho!

15. Aslix

Aslix Strat-Talk Member

That's funny, I like the tremolo system a lot! It has a nice touch to it

16. Aslix

Aslix Strat-Talk Member

So I got a dream with me XD. Sad you selled urs. I mean I had no idea that this would be such a good buy.

17. Aslix

Aslix Strat-Talk Member

I want to thank you all incredibly nice and intelligent people! This has been such a nice experience and I wish I will hear from you in the future! THANK YOU!

18. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Cool Strat!

I’ve only seen the ones with a single humbucker pickup. I played one around 1986 or so but decided not to buy it. I keep my eyes open for them now and recently spotted one just like yours (white with black headstock) but it’s an 86 and only has a single humbucker and a volume control, no switch. I’m really tempted.

19. Aslix

Aslix Strat-Talk Member

I don't know mich about how that would sound, but I absolutely LOVE the sound of this one. Maybe you should buy it :)

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  20. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

There were 2 models that were an rear-routed HH version - 1 was 24.75" and the other was 25.5". Fender changed things around a bit.

Here's the owners manual from 1985 - I don't believe Fender ever updated it throughout the run of Contemporaries, but on pages 4-5 they have the specs of the series as it existed in 1985; the model numbers are USA Fender, not Fender Japan.

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/...and_Standard_Series_Guitars_(Japan,_1985).pdf

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 10:04 PM
    Yves likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.