My newest acquisition does not sustain very well.

tygr1

Strat-Talker
May 4, 2016
Texas
This may or may not be 'tech' related, but I just bought the Olympic White 60th anniversary, yada, yada.

This Strat simply doesn't have the sustain my other guitars do! Any tricks I am missing here?

Should I just move it along down the road?

Dick Blackmore

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2017
Black Hole
Tune guitar. Loosen top two neck bolts, loosen bottom neck bolts, you will hear a crack or click. Tighten neck bolts, retune. Sustain, yay. Every bolt on needs this right out of the box.

Also check your pickup heights, magnets too close to the string will rob you of sustain and cause a warbling sound. Lower them until they stop warbling especially the gstring.

No relief? No relief is great for many players like me. Back bow that would buzz especialy down by the nut.

Last edited:

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Exactly. I personally don’t want loads of sustain. Ringing for days is not my thing.
Then there are those sustain video comparisons where the computer software graphically captures & displays the minute string vibrations and the noise of the amp is actually the dominant sound for the last 8-10 seconds after the 1st 10-12 seconds.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
This may or may not be 'tech' related, but I just bought the Olympic White 60th anniversary, yada, yada.

This Strat simply doesn't have the sustain my other guitars do! Any tricks I am missing here?

Should I just move it along down the road?

You make it a point to let every note ring out as long as it can? No? Then it likely makes no difference.