Join Strat-Talk Today

My newish American Original 60’s - the good and bad

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by _Hawk_, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

The fretboard looks super dark and delicious. Kind of surprised to hear it was a lot lighter. I've never seen a huge difference with oiling (Mineral Oil) a fretboard, and nothing that lasts very long.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Wow that looks amazing!
    I'm in agreement with the post about fender getting a plek machine.
    Or at the very least, have a station on the assembly line that is dedicated to putting the neck exactly straight, and leveling the frets.

I don't understand why fender gets a pass on this.

3. _Hawk_

_Hawk_ Strat-Talk Member

To clarify that, it was just dried out and dusty/dirty. Not light like PF for example.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

The color looks like it has more depth than my candy apple red classic 60s. Looks really nice

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. Rocket King

Rocket King Strat-Talker

First off : beautiful Stratocaster, congratulations!
    I'm happy you've worked out the problems. I also agree with you and the others though : that's unacceptable on an instrument in that price range.
    I also have an American original 60s, Olympic white, bought it sight unseen.
    I love it.
    From the description yours sounds lighter.
    No fretboard problems though.
    The guitar was checked and set up for me before being sent.
    And I think that explains why you and others had problems : fender sent out a partially defective guitar and the sellers didn't bother to check it out either.
    That's a double failure in my book.

Nicoloverrini and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Happy New-ish Guitar Day! That’s a beauty. I’ve never had a CAR Strat but they sure look nice in that colour.

Regarding the setup, my first Strat had a really bad setup out of the box. I bought it brand new and it put me off Fender guitars for a long time. My other guitars (Ibanez Japan) we’re perfect out of the box so I had no idea that I’d need to spend some time getting my brand new Am Standard in playing shape after purchase. I know better now and have the tools to do it.

I guess it doesn’t hurt sales so they don’t care but in a perfect world, if I were Fender, I’d insist that my dealers have someone on staff who’s trained to provide a proper setup as part of the deal so that the guitars are at their best right out of the box. A lot can happen between Corona or Mexico or Japan, China, Indonesia, Korea and here so with temperature and humidity changes a Guitar is going to need a little attention to make sure it’s in its best condition once it arrives. I guess that’s too much to ask though.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

I guess I got lucky, my MIM Deluxe strat came with perfect frets right out of the box. In fact it is the only one out of 5 new guitars I didn't need to touch up the frets on. And they are nicely crowned and polished, all I had to do is round the edges of the fretboard and oil it like crazy. Of course it came from Sweetwater, so I knew nothing too glaring was pass through them.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  8. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

We keep buying them, so there is no reason for Fender to change their ways.

9. Fuggle

Fuggle Strat-Talker

She’s a straight up beaut! I’m generally not a fan of dark wood fretboards on Strats, but sometimes it just works. :thumb:

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

I love that dark fret board, it makes the CAR pop!
    It's a keeper, I would have fixed it too.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.