Join Strat-Talk Today

My only marital issue is thermal

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Aug 4, 2019.

1. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

That sounds very familiar. It’s a common ongoing battle in my household as well. I prefer things on the cooler side and my wife prefers things on the warmer side. Many times my response is “well you are practically naked, so maybe grab a blanket or put some clothes on.” It’s a double edged sword. While I enjoy her partial nudity around the house, the running battle over the house temperature gets a bit old.:D

2. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

Just as a guess...what percentage of homes in the UK (or any country in Europe) are air conditioned?

I grew up in the South (Texas, Georgia, Virginia and Tennessee among others) where the humidity is always high, even in winter...back home even tar paper shacks have a/c. I moved to this oven and I was floored by how many homes just had swamp coolers, they work well enough until summer when we get humidity and rains.

s5tuart, simoncroft and Bodean like this.
  3. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

exactly...

I wish for blindness in my mind's eye!

4. pj1440

pj1440 Strat-Talk Member

Hardly any homes at all have proper air conditioning here in UK. so called "mobile air conditioners" are a bit more prevalent. I have one at the moment keeping me awake due to the cold air blast freezing my face, random banging and clattering noises, and an assortment of insects flying around due to the hot air hose hanging out of the semi open window. GF is just right though - sound asleep, so swings and roundabouts, can't complain, count ones blessings etc.

5. chrimturn

chrimturn Fire in the Wire Strat-Talk Supporter

I like it to be on the chilly side, too. Especially when sleeping. T-stat set at 70°F. If there’s a ceiling fan in the room...turn it on. My wife likes it off. I prefer to feel the air moving.

My issue is that my wife allows the kids to sleep in my bed. King size. Never fails. Work a late one and get home around 2:00am. Take a shower and go to lay down...but wait...she and two of the kids are all sprawled out. Even the dog is in there! Now let me tell you, these species of humans are not normal. You wouldn’t believe the amount of BTU’s they are puttin’ off. The body heat is unreal. Unbearable. Plus I’ve taken enough heel kicks to the jaw and backhands to the forehead when they toss and turn throughout the night.

I won’t even oblige them with the pleasure anymore. Nope. I’ve conceded. Basement couch for me. The nice, cozy couch in the cold, quiet, dark, unfinished basement.

6. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

It's the opposite with my wife and I. She is most happy when I'm freezing. I like to sleep with a blanket, and she complains that my blanket spreads to her side of the bed and makes her feel too hot - and its the middle of the night with an average temperature of 15-20 celcius on summer nights (now its winter so we are getting 6-10 celcius). I like the cold but I guess me genetic makeup isn't very adapted to cold. Plus I'm as skinny as my pinky.

7. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

Get her an electric blanket.

simoncroft likes this.
  8. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I won't 'like' that, but I thank you for the input. My wife has underlying medical problems too. :(

circles likes this.
  9. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

We have one. I know my wife's side works. I believe my side does. o_O

s5tuart, Thrup'ny Bit and Biddlin like this.
  10. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I was raised in the tropics.
    I live in a fking igloo now.
    Missus runs hot. Can't handle the tropics.
    was 3 deg c inside the other week. she's asleep with a sheet and I have 20 layers plus feather down doubled up covering everything except my nose. Gotta breathe.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Mrs Bit has all the windows open in the middle of a Yorkshire winter, while I'm freezing my ... err ... whiskers off. At the moment she has all the windows open and fans blowing on her from all points of the compass...

12. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

+1

JB74, pj1440 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  13. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Strat-Talker

My situation is the same as 99% of everyone. My challenge is not that she says, "I'm cold" or "I'm hot", she insists that the room is too cold or too hot when it's the same as it always is. But I gave up trying to explain to her that she's hot or cold and it's not the room. I just go adjust the thermostat.
    I remember a Dennis the Menace cartoon from 50 years ago where Dennis and his friend Joey are looking at the thermostat. He says, "That's called a thermostat, Joey. It' the thing Mom pushes up and Dad pushes down.".

upload_2019-8-5_7-37-26.png

As Solomon said, "There is nothing new under the sun".

simoncroft and ukoldgit like this.
  14. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

upload_2019-8-5_12-44-14.jpeg

15. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

I am with @Thrup'ny Bit all the way.
    My problem is - my wife is part of the up northe folk. Vikings if you know what I mean. Yeah, blond and blue eyes, looking like an angel.
    She does look like one but to be honest she´s got he devil inside.
    During winter time she loves having all the windows wide open.
    I swear I wear more clothing in the winder night times than during day times.
    That is pretty nasty for me preferring sleeping naked. Excuse me. I just can´t if I don´t want to risk some blue coloring of some body parts.
    The good news are - during a thunder storm I enjoy but she keeps shutting the windows and putting the sleeves all over her and a pillow on her ears.
    Yeah, that is the time I am feeling my transylvanian genomes and I can smell the blood and the taste of raw meat.

Life is good,
    Robin

ukoldgit, s5tuart, JB74 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

What? Come on. I'm dead Sexy!
    tumblr_lywhkdnX701qemz6qo1_400.gif

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Opposite here. My wife must be going thru changes or something and is hot all the time, which means the house and car are usually freezing.

duzie likes this.
  18. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I was making light of it earlier. The truth is my wife and I do have a disconnect when it comes to the temperature in the house and/or car. I know why though, she works in an air-conditioned office sitting at a computer desk all day. I work a physically active job outside in the elements all day. Her job allows her core temp to drop to sub-zero temperatures and mine raises my core to the temperature of the sun.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

19. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Well we run the AC at 75F all day and the last thing I do before bed is turn it down to 72F before I turn out the lights. Same thing in the Winter with the heat is on.

Our rather brutal summer heat of 100F avg. and 90% humidity is nothing to laugh at. If I’m outside for long periods of time in the Summer I’m in the pool!

Stormy Monday and JB74 like this.
  20. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525 Strat-Talk Supporter

I’ve got it all :p

3Kw aircon venting through the wall.
    Massage bed with tilt .....
    Lazy boy reclining sofa and chair in front of a big Plasma screen.....

but no wife :(

felis likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.