my signal is getting broken...

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by gcconspiracy, Jul 24, 2009.

1. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

hey guys, just wondering if any of you have any thoughts on this:

playing my strat last night, and all of a sudden my amp went silent! I wiggled all the patches on my pedal board, and narrowed it down to one patch. I pulled the patch and replaced it with a brand-new spare I had - same problem again! Anyways, I think I've narrowed it down to the input of my compressor pedal... when I spin the patch in the compressor's input it goes fuzzy and then cuts out. My first thought was electrical contact cleaner, but I don't have any. Is there anything else that it could be, or do I need to get some contact cleaner? Also, are there any other household products that work well to clean contacts? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-gcc

2. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

i would say get the contact cleaner. i dunno how brave you are, but you could open the pedal and inspect the jack....

3. BOD2

BOD2 Strat-O-Master

Is "WD40" sold in the USA ? (excuse my ignornance)

You could try this but DON'T spray it into the pedal !

Spray a little onto a jack plug, then insert the jack plug into the pedal and twist it around a bit. It might help if it's tarnishing on the jack plug contacts that is causing the proble.

4. gcconspiracy

yeah... I thought it might be the contacts... I tried to take the pedal apart, but it looks more like a gameboy in there than a guitar pedal! Anyways, the jack was not accessible from the inside at all. I do have a few cans of wd-40 in my garage, but I might feel better about just buying some contact cleaner... (10 bucks at the local rad shack)

-gcc

ps - no worries about the "ignorance" BOD2... how would you have known?!!?

5. gcconspiracy

just rethinking this... should I try the wd-40? Could it possibly have any negative effect? Any thoughts?

6. kurdt

kurdt Banned

wd40 is only a water displacer

7. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

WD 40 is Stoddart solvent and mineral oil. Just look at the MSDS sheet for it.

But to the original poster- it's most likely the jack. Once they start to go bad it will just be a matter of time before it happens again. Cleaning is at best a temporary solution. It can work if there was a drink spilled in it, but if it stated after normal use I'd replace the jack and be done with it once and for all.

If you do use contact cleaner don't spray it in there. Use a Q-tip.

8. stratagem

stratagem Strat-Talker

I just opened up a pedal that has been having issues with the switch, an Ibanez TS-9DX. I had tried to repair the switch several times but it was 100% dead. To my surprise, the ground lead was cut inside the pedal, right where an inner panel attached.

My only point is that sometimes you blame one component and it turns out to be another. If the jack is cutting out like that I wouldn't think it was dirty but rather shorted somewhere.