My son's auto dealership has had this '70 Boss 429 since new

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
My son is a body man at a large dealership in his town. They originally sold this in late 69. The owner had a heart attack right after and the dealership bought it back, never selling it again. It's been at the dealership for 52 years being rolled from one spot to another. It's got a little rust at this point and apparently a coupe of parts were scavenged but still, it's a beauty. They've been offered $150k+ and turned it down.

f2lJgb7.jpg

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Sweet! My uncle bought his first new car the day he got back from Vietnam. It was this 1969 Boss 429.
FB_IMG_1578777417463.jpg
Old picture but he still has it.
He drove it through the doors in the showroom. Now it sits in his garage in need of restoration and I begged him for years to let me do the work. The only thing I asked in return was to drive it twice a year but he wouldn't do it.
He was offered $120k as is about ten years ago and wouldn't take it either. His reason: "Then I wouldn't have it."
One of the coolest cars ever built and I personally find it a shame but in the end it isn't my call.

henderman

Dr. Stratster
Dec 4, 2013
largo,fl
i used to work at one of the larger chevy dealerships in the usa and the owner's stable of cars was off the chain.

my fave was the tri-power vette with side pipes he regularly drove.

=KARMA=

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 24, 2015
Londinium
My son is a body man at a large dealership in his town. They originally sold this in late 69. The owner had a heart attack right after and the dealership bought it back, never selling it again. It's been at the dealership for 52 years being rolled from one spot to another. It's got a little rust at this point and apparently a coupe of parts were scavenged but still, it's a beauty. They've been offered $150k+ and turned it down.

f2lJgb7.jpg
Looking at the history on Wikipedia, I’m not surprised that they turned down an offer of $150k…..

3F96DB23-7BEF-4B0F-930E-2D51EECFA5F9.jpeg

jd35801

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2012
Alabama
That is such a cool ride! And yeah, they are selling for six figures all day long now. My first car was almost a 1969 Camaro with a 302. But my dad was afraid I would have been out hot rodding in it. He was right! 😉

jd35801

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2012
Alabama
When a 1965 289 Shelby Cobra came up for sale in my hometown in 1979, I begged my Dad to buy it for himself as a fun car/collector car. I was very into cars and the Cobra was my dream car. He said, “$37,000 for a used car? That’s crazy!”
It would be worth around a million dollars today. 🙄

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Looking at the history on Wikipedia, I’m not surprised that they turned down an offer of $150k…..

View attachment 594537
The solid black was the rarest of all the colors. I believe they only made 3 original in 1969. There were only 859-total- made that year so they could use it to compete in the stock car series to try to beat the Dodge's that were dominating at the time.

stormsedge

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 7, 2012
East Tennessee, USA
Sweet! My Dad was selling Fords in '69. The dealership sold one of the Boss 429 Mustangs. It became legend in the service department for nearly regular visits to "fix" the rearend...despite the near invulnerability of the 9 inch.

Last edited:

Hanson

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 3, 2016
Mesquite, Texas
My brother owns 2 late 50’s Corvettes convertibles and is offered pretty good $$$ for those as well. They are completely restored. He drives them on weekends throughout the summer months.