My son's auto dealership has had this '70 Boss 429 since new

dspellman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Sweet! My uncle bought his first new car the day he got back from Vietnam. It was this 1969 Boss 429.
View attachment 594526
Old picture but he still has it.
He drove it through the doors in the showroom. Now it sits in his garage in need of restoration and I begged him for years to let me do the work. The only thing I asked in return was to drive it twice a year but he wouldn't do it.
He was offered $120k as is about ten years ago and wouldn't take it either. His reason: "Then I wouldn't have it."
One of the coolest cars ever built and I personally find it a shame but in the end it isn't my call.
I have a valuable old car, and it's a two-edged sword.
One, I have it.
Two, I've become its caretaker.

Over the years its become a museum/collector piece and I'm neither. It's sort of too valuable to drive with any regularity and yet it takes up garage space, and my spousal unit has covered it with packing blankets, empty boxes and who knows what just to keep it absolutely low-key when the garage door opens up. No interest at all in having someone drive by and go, "Wait, what was THAT?" and go into illegal acquisition mode.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I have a valuable old car, and it's a two-edged sword.
One, I have it.
Two, I've become its caretaker.

Over the years its become a museum/collector piece and I'm neither. It's sort of too valuable to drive with any regularity and yet it takes up garage space, and my spousal unit has covered it with packing blankets, empty boxes and who knows what just to keep it absolutely low-key when the garage door opens up. No interest at all in having someone drive by and go, "Wait, what was THAT?" and go into illegal acquisition mode.
It's s car. It's meant to run and drive. I would take my chances with illegal acquisitions over letting a garage rod becoming a garage rot. It becomes worthless if it rod away.

dspellman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
It's s car. It's meant to run and drive. I would take my chances with illegal acquisitions over letting a garage rod becoming a garage rot. It becomes worthless if it rod away.
You have any idea what it costs to replace a Borrani wire wheel if I ding one? Better yet, what insurance runs on that car?

It's not rotting away.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Bean counters figured it would be cheaper to pay damage or death claims rather than retrofit every Pinto with safer fuel tanks
But they did correct the problem... it was only the '71 and '72 models that were impacted.

Funny... I still see a Pinto on the road occasionally. It is extremely rare that I'll see a Vega. Those things rusted even in SoCal, where nothing rusts.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
You have any idea what it costs to replace a Borrani wire wheel if I ding one? Better yet, what insurance runs on that car?

It's not rotting away.
Yes I do actually.
I really wasn't talking about your car but my uncle's. Also, as I said earlier, I don't get to make the decisions about anyone else's stuff so it is what it is. I know if that Mustang were mine, it may not get driven everyday but it would at least be done right and in shows. Plus, if he would have sold it when he could have for the large amount then he could have put himself out of debt. Instead, he will end up leaving a legacy of a cool rotten car and a lot of debt.
Makes no sense to me.