My Strat intro

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Tylerlayne, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Tylerlayne

Tylerlayne Strat-Talker

Hi everyone, I introduced myself in the intro forum now want to intro my guitar. Its a 2015 Fender American Standard Strat. I bought the guitar online (I know, stupid move) From guitar center. The first picture is the guitar I actually bought and the second picture is the guitar they sent me. When it arrived I was excited to unbox it. When I pulled it from the box I was furious that this was not the guitar I bought and also the ad said it came with a case and no case. I contacted guitar center and they said I could take it to any of their stores for a refund and if I wanted to keep it they would send me a case. What I mainly disliked about the guitar is the stainless pick guard and the guitar I bought had fat 50's pickups and this one did not. I decided well while it is here I had may as well check it out. As soon as I started playing it I fell in love. I told myself, well tone is a lot more important with a guitar than looks. Sure I like the looks of the guitar I was supposed to get better but this one sounded so good. I have no regrets anymore about owning this guitar. I also have a Gibson Les Paul studio and just purchased a PRS CE24. The Strat is still my favorite and my go to guitar. download (6).png IMG_0039.jpg

pn8830, circles, jwag and 9 others like this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Welcome Aboard. A pretty Strat!

Tylerlayne likes this.
  3. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Hi and Welcome

Guitar is not an American Standard

Most likely an early high way one
    I would return it or at least get a discount

4. Mr Dunlop

Fender customer support is not open today but you can register and run the serial online.
    This will tell you the model the serial brings back.
    The guitar most likely early highway one or a partscaster

https://start.fender.com/

WightTrashMan likes this.
  5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Agreed; there's probably $200 difference between a Highway 1 and and an American Standard, plus that one has more mods than just the pickguard (the Highway 1 HSS models always had the large 70s-style headstock; only the SSS models had the small headstock until they also got the large headstock in mid-2006) so @Tylerlayne should negotiate a discount as well as getting a case from his local GC if he wants to keep it.

6. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Get your case and get your balance back. Nothing wrong with keeping the guitar if you like it, but still get your money's worth.

WightTrashMan likes this.
  7. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Bait & Switch

Seems about par for what many here describe as Guitar Center tactics.
    Maybe we should all sign a pledge to boycott GC.

I won't be buying anything from them.

Baelzebub likes this.
  8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I'm with @John C . Get a concession and get your case.

As for the guitar, good on you for understanding that the fact you can bond with it and like the tone are uppermost. You can always swap out pickups and plastics. And that pickguard IS buttugly.

That said, pickguards are cheap, but see if you can negotiate a cash concession equal to the price of a set of Fat50's. They are some great pickups.

Then you can always build it into the guitar you want? Or get a few pots and a switch and make up another pickguard to swap out for when you want something different.

I'm gonna plug member @Stephen James. His company, Atheris Innovations, is making me some modular pickguards for my Clapton so that I can have both a 1st series with the Fender Lace Golds and a 2nd series Noiseless that can be swapped out in a few minutes. I'll post pics when it's finished.

9. Tylerlayne

Tylerlayne Strat-Talker

Wow, Now I really feel taken by guitar center. The guitar is a 2015 according to the serial number on the headstock. I don't think they made the Highway series anymore then. That leaves me with a partscaster. Very disappointed. I will never feel the same about this guitar

10. Tylerlayne

Tylerlayne Strat-Talker

The serial number is US15103129 if anyone can tell me a model from it.

11. Mr Dunlop

It's not a highway one but a PRO. Still a cheaper guitar than the American standard

Screenshot_20210718-150338.jpg

John C and Tylerlayne like this.
  12. marksound

marksound Strat-O-Master

The pics in the first post are of the same guitar. Enlarging the first pic shows that it has a mirror pickguard. The serial# search matches, other than the swapped guard and black pickup covers.

If you like the guitar and the price was fair, it's all good.

Chipss36 and Tylerlayne like this.
  13. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Didn't mean to step on anyones toes here.
    I should have refreshed my screen before posting this duplicate info

upload_2021-7-18_18-24-38.png

Tylerlayne likes this.
  14. Mr Dunlop

My bad. I forgot about the PRO model GC offered for about a year in 2015.
    It sold for a couple hundred less than the American Standard
    I would still request a discount

John C and Tylerlayne like this.
  15. Tylerlayne

Tylerlayne Strat-Talker

Thanks everyone. I feel better knowing that it was not thrown together with parts. I paid $730. for it. Not sure if that was to much or not. I appreciate every ones help and not upset with anyone here. Thanks for letting me know what I have. After the guitar bait a switch by guitar center I will never buy anything from them again. I bought it in February so its probably to late to ask for money back. $730. I guess is not a bad deal. It is in like new condition. The guitar does sound great and is fun to play. It looks like the guitar came with that horrible stainless pick guard. Hear is my receipt from guitar center for the guitar. It clearly states HSS American Standard. IMG_0277.jpg

circles likes this.
  16. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

I say whatever, play the hell out of it. Great looking guitar and I love mirror pickguards especially on stage

circles, Believer7713 and Tylerlayne like this.
  17. John C

That would be an okay price depending on what hardshell case you were supposed to get with it - these US Pro models were $999 new - about $100 less than the American Special and $300 less than the American Standard in 2015.

And I did forget about these - it looks like the only mod is the chrome pickguard. It should have the S-1 switch in the volume pot, which is a coil split for the humbucker if it still has fully stock wiring. Guitar Center/Musician's Friend never did say what model pickups were used in these other than "Fender pickups". I think they were also sold by a couple of European dealers - probably Anderton's in the UK and someone else in the EU.

Tylerlayne likes this.
  18. Tylerlayne

Tylerlayne Strat-Talker

Yes It does have the S-1 switch in the volume control. That was something I never discovered until yesterday after watching a video. They sent me a new roadrunner case after I complained to them the ad said one was included. They told me the guitar was an open box which I think was another lie because of the pick guard change and I don't think a 2015 guitar would just sit around their store for 6 years.

19. John C

Agreed; it was a used model where someone changed out the pickguard. It couldn't have hurt to have asked for a bit of a discount, but they would probably have been selling a 2015 American Standard for $1K instead of $730. How good of a deal kind of depends on which Roadrunner case they sent you - they have 3-4 different cases that would fit a Strat and they range in price.

Tylerlayne likes this.
  20. Tylerlayne

Tylerlayne Strat-Talker

They sent me one of the Roadrunner boulevard series tweed cases. Question, If I change the pickguard will the guitar need a set up? Not sure if I should go back to a white pickguard or black.