My string shootout, .10 vs .09 gauge.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ColmIncendinall, Mar 24, 2013.

1. hatfield

hatfield Strat-Talker

that is a fantastic idea! very cool, hwy :thumbsup

2. hatfield

hatfield Strat-Talker

^^^^^^ +1 couldn't agree more

btw, fantastic shoot out! your chops are on point!!!

3. gripweed

gripweed Strat-Talk Member

I agree with the OP. I use 10s because I like how they feel, not because I notice any significant difference in tone.

4. TexasTodd

TexasTodd Strat-Talker

I use hybrid slinkies because I can't decide!

Cool video. I do find well-done video Shootouts like this one to be useful.

I guess the complaints about shootouts are why GearMannDude doesn't give opinions on the winners versus losers any more!

5. brattmatter

brattmatter Strat-Talker

Same metal composition?
    - Anal beads

If there was a "Comment of the Month" award, this would surely take the prize.

I appreciate the video. Thanks. Very good playing too.

Today I happened to play 9s for the first time in a while. Slightly different tone, but dang--so much easier for me to play. I am considering switching back. Cheers.

6. 66Satellite

66Satellite Strat-Talker

Interesting. I just switched my Blacktop Tele to 10s from the 9s it came with. I used to always play 10s but had gotten used to 9s on my two Teles. The 9s on the other guitar now feel super light. In terms of sound, I can definitely tell a difference in sound unplugged. Plugged in I still feel I can tell a difference on the low E.

7. tecladista

tecladista Strat-Talker

Interesting experiment. The overall sound is pretty close, but I can hear the difference in brightness of the strings 09, highlights the high frequency harmonics (10K - 12K)
    As for the 10 strings sound a little fuller in the midrange and bass. But it also highlights the percussive sound of the pick.

8. htwheelz67

htwheelz67 Senior Stratmaster

10's do sound fatter, they do make 9.5 sets I wonder what they sound like

9. thewolfnears

thewolfnears Strat-O-Master

Okay. I must be tone deaf. A lot of people on this thread are saying there were slight differences, but I heard a pretty good difference between the two gauges.

So much so I preferred the Nines to the Tens.

10. thewolfnears

thewolfnears Strat-O-Master

I could not agree more. Funniest comment I've read in a while.

I must be tone deaf. A lot of people on this thread are saying there were slight differences, but I heard a pretty good difference between the two gauges.

So much so I preferred the Nines to the Tens.

11. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

Nicely done! I prefer the 10s, but both sound great.

I'm guessing your using the light/heavy .010s for the comparison? because there isn't any difference on the wound strings between the custom/light 9s and the light gauge 10s.

12. Madcap

Madcap New Member!

I also switched to 9's 2 days ago :) I really like the bass strings tbh, don't find them to sound that thin.. the only thing I hate are the high E and B string, should put some thicker ones on it.

13. Charcoalsant

Charcoalsant Strat-Talk Member

I went from 10s to 9s because I've cant seem to get the bends and vibrato I want in them :( I'm a weakling lol

14. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

Nice comparison, to me the video captured the difference in sound between 10s and 9s very well. To my ear, there is a bit more 'note' and a bit less of the picking sound on 10s, the sound is a little darker and also more 'solid' sounding. 9s have slightly more life and overtones.

Personally I far prefer the feel of 10s, my preference in sound depends on the guitar and the piece of music being played. But the sound differences in most contexts are 'small' (although this difference is also enormous compared to what lacquer is on the guitar and many other guitar components people worry about).

15. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Sorry, but it didn't strike me as arrogant.

Rather, when one makes a claim that a state of *fact* exists, its THAT person's job to provide the support for that claim as well as address any concerns that may exist with the presentation of the claim.

16. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

What fact did the OP claim? That he didn't find there was much difference in the tone? Or that he was really liking the feel of the .9's? He went through all the trouble of posting a video so each person could make up their own mind about how much difference in tone there was. I didn't think he stated anything as "fact".

It was like rhwgynn didn't even read the first post. It told what brand strings he used along with what sub-type within that brand. The same amp, same settings, even pretty much the same licks. Do you really think the comparison was worthless and a complete waste of time because it didn't list the air temperature, barametric pressure, and humidity levels within a 50 mile radius? That was pretty much the impression I got from rhwgynn's post. I found his post not just arrogant but rude as hell.

17. ColmIncendinall

ColmIncendinall Strat-Talker

That's what I thought as well, used to 10s or 11s really, but you'd be surprised, you definitely adjust your touch to the set you're playing. I'm really liking them. Thanks for the comment :)

18. ColmIncendinall

Thanks hatfield, by the way what is that symbol?

19. ColmIncendinall

I used the hybrids too! I'm gonna just paste a comment i said earlier about em:

Hey man, I used Hybrid Slinkys before and thought they were a pretty cool idea. I liked them too, but felt there was an imbalance of loudness when playing from low strings to high strings, the higher strings were always a lot quieter. Had to tilt the pickups very close to the higher strings and lower them on the bass end to get the even spread back!

I'd like to try them again though and really tilt em more to get a better even-ness. Thanks for your comment!

20. ColmIncendinall

Thanks brattmatter! Hahahah yeah that's something that a friend of mine likes to say out of the blue, in that style... I laugh every time out of pure shock value.