N(old) GD MIM Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by WK45, Aug 3, 2018.

1. WK45

WK45 New Member!

Or should it be New old Free guitar Day? About a week back a friend who is moving to the mainland gave me his MIM Fender Strat, crate amp and hard case. He bought it used and he had put it away for quite awhile. He said it need some things and cleaning. I thanked him.
    From the serial number it looks to be made in 1990 - 1991. Not sure of the specs. I haven't had a chance to really look at it until now. 5 position cuts out and the volume and tone knobs does too. Sound a little different thick. Found that the pickups has 2 magnet bars on the bottom. Small pots 500K stamped with OEW and boxed JP. 5 position Switch is like a box. Green pot numbered 2A333.1. Lots of corrosion on the parts. No tremolo bar and the block is small zinc(?). It seems like whoever painted the body cavity didn't care if there was sawdust till there.
    I had another set with 250K small pots, 5 position switch and 47 cap I forgot if it worked or not. I installed them and turned out it works. New strings. So at least I can play a little. I am not complaining. Its free and I like a project. I'll update the harness, pickups, block and bar a little later. Sorry if this was too long. MVC-011F.JPG MVC-008F.JPG MVC-010F.JPG MVC-012F.JPG MVC-016F.JPG MVC-009F.JPG MVC-015F.JPG and MVC-011F.JPG MVC-008F.JPG MVC-010F.JPG MVC-012F.JPG MVC-016F.JPG MVC-009F.JPG MVC-015F.JPG

2. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster

3. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Sweet. I also have a first-year MN0 candy apple red Strat. Maple fretboard though.

9097ECF3-7804-4948-914B-16FDFE03E9A1.jpeg 085CC3BB-EFB6-4003-9D11-176133645E6A.jpeg

Ronnie12460 likes this.
  4. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Strat-Talker

Can’t beat free! Even if it does need work, that’s awesome! Won’t take long to get that thing into tip top shape. Congrats

electroplasmolog likes this.
  5. john lavelle

john lavelle Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Price was definitely right....I question the back trem plate. All screws are parallel, the middle ones are supposed to be offset. But, I could be wrong!

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I've never seen those pots or switches in an MIM standard.. but maybe they switched after the first year. My earliest is a 1992.

7. WK45

WK45 New Member!

Thanks for the SSS MIM link. I was surprised to see the small pots and the 2 metal bars for each pickups. I am probably the 3rd or even the 4th person to own this guitar so I am not sure what the previous owner(s) did other than my friend who said that he lowered the action.
    I have a garage sale squire strat that was a worse off than this. Replaced the the harness, pickups, block from GFS. premium Alnico V overwound pickups, 250K quarter size(?) pots harness, and steel block. Sounds pretty good. - Better than my brother's MIM Strat when he brought it over to the house. Really muddy and muffled. The MIM Strat that I have sounds way better in the condition that its in so I think my brother needs to replace the pots etc. I think I'll do the harness and steel block from GFS and get the Fender CS 69 pickups. Other things I'll slowly work on.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Every MIM standard has these stock, surprisingly.

9. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Nice score! It does look like it has spent some time in salty air, but the price is sure nice. Have fun with your new project.

10. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

Might try rubbing the hardware with aluminum foil and vinegar. That's what Jay Leno does to restore pitted chrome on old car bumpers and trim. Might not work on thinner chrome plating of guitar hardware.

Or replace it with new, and sell the old stuff on eBay as relic parts.

11. WK45

WK45 New Member!

Sorry about the late reply. Yes I live on the rainy side of the "Big Island" of Hawaii so it gets quite humid at times. (Eruption from the vent has declined and hurricane Hector just past South of us) The bridge was rusted and heavily pitted. I used brass bar, 4 0 steel wool and chrome polish. The screws and springs I had in white vinegar. That did a pretty good job. Sprayed with inox lube.
    Color I though was the candy apple red but it is darker so is it Torino red(?) I went ahead with GFS to get the Kwikplug harness quarter 250 pots 47 cap USA style(?) harness, steel block, Tremolo bar USA, pickguard screws (a lot on mine were buggered), and the 60s repro overwound Alnico hot kwikplug pickups.
    After I ordered I though that it might over been too much for what I had wanted. Those came in a couple days ago. I went slow and the pickups sounded much better that the original ones. The MIM strat is still louder and thicker than the Squire strat at the same amp volume or setting. I'll probably will get cs the Fender CS 69 pickups later.
    I had to look up relic parts and guitars find what they were and ....okay???? I guess its like the ripped jeans, cars, and even guns.

12. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Congrats! Happy NGD! :)

13. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

A price that can't be refused, a fairly easy project that will be fun, ending up with a knock-out Strat that you will be proud of and enjoy. Sounds like a rotten deal to me (lol)!