Join Strat-Talk Today

N P D - 'verb time...

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by longboard blues, Dec 1, 2019.

1. longboard blues

longboard blues Strat-Talker

NPD…

Was out at the weekend looking for a fuzz pedal – my local guitar shop has a black Friday deal on Hotone pedals, so had the weeny fuzz for 60% off.

Got there, out of stock. While I was there, I asked if I could test drive a Strymon Big Sky. Oh my, that’s a thing of beauty -loved it, but it’s predominantly a studio effect, to me, and not a live one – and my band is mostly about live and loud. Oh, and the $900 tag – whilst it’s not a problem affording it, I struggle to *justify* it.. I’m not good at spending money!

So I nipped over to another shop, and tried out a TC electronics hall of fame2, with the toneprint and the mash button. Not quite a big sky, but has some absolutely beautiful presets, and the ability to completely customise the patches through a nice simple GUI on my ipad. Got it for 30% off too – most happy with it! First rehearsal tonight – expect everything to shimmer like silk

Still didn’t get a fuzz though……

Deathray, vlxerdon and Duane_the_tub like this.
  2. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

Big Sky is an absolutely amazing pedal for sure. The main reason I ended up selling mine was playing in a rock band only used about 1/10 of the power of that thing. Sitting at home playing by myself it filled up the room and washed every surface with ambient goodness. If I was only doing that, or was in a position to play PW or some other style where the guitar was more than just the guitar, I'd have kept it. Since it's such a high demand pedal I was able to sell it and not lose my a$$ and bought a Line 6 HX FX when they were on sale a few months ago.

If I was going to go back to a standard pedalboard the HoF2 would be my first choice for reverb with a Flashback in front of it. I love TC pedals. The mash button and toneprints are really cool features.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  3. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

What do you think about the HXFX? I just bought the stomp and I am loving it.

As far as for the Big Sky, yeah I am with you - you really only need something like that if you play in a worship band. The full effect of that is never going to be used if you're playing some rock or blues.

4. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I really like it. I had a full Helix for a while and I really liked most of the effects. Not a big fan of the drives on it but I run it 4cm into the loop of my Blackstar and it sounds really good. Great box IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a HoF2 myself. They really are great little pedals

6. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

Do you mean $900AUS? These top out at roughly $600US.

7. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've a BYOC Leeds fuzz...
    I find it so unpleasant..
    it's on a shelf behind the sack of dry cat chow...
    I'd give it away
    but
    that'd be unkind

vlxerdon likes this.
  8. longboard blues

longboard blues Strat-Talker

yeah , AUD.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.