Join Strat-Talk Today

NAD!! 1973 Pro Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by slide5, Feb 3, 2019.

1. slide5

slide5 Senior Stratmaster

I've just got myself a 1973 silver face Pro Reverb. Wow this thing sounds incredible! I'd never played through one of these previously but I much prefer it over my 65 DRRI, it just sounds warmer, fuller (no doubt down to the two 12" speakers) and the highs are much softer and warmer than the deluxe, which I find can sound a little harsh at times. I've got nothing against the deluxe it's a great amp but this is my firm favourite now, even over my '59 Bassman ri.

I thought that 40 watts was going to be way too much for home use but actually volume wise it isn't much different from the deluxe, it breaks up slightly later but sounds amazing clean (and driven!), even at volume 3.

What I noticed most though, was not just the tone but the 'feel', it's just softer feeling and spongier if that makes sense, maybe more sag I don't know but I just play and sound better through it.

Here's a couple of pics....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rob Moreno, dueducs, The-Kid and 12 others like this.
  2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

HNAD

slide5 likes this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

That looks just like mine. I am going to go check the closet right now.

jrbirdman, JustABluesGuy and slide5 like this.
  4. slide5

:sneaky::whistling:

5. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Nice, congrats.!

slide5 likes this.
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I just looked at the schematic. Man, it's not very different from a Vibrolux. I bet the 12" speakers make more difference than the circuit differences.

Happy NAD!

slide5 likes this.
  7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats HNAD!

slide5 likes this.
  8. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Very cool! Congrats!

slide5 likes this.
  9. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

I noticed the same thing. I like my 67 SFDR but my 67SF PRO Reverb and 68 BMR sound so much fuller, warmer and just more musical all around. The DR sounds much thinner, brittle and harsher to me to. I had read before that the difference was basically because of the 6L6GC vs. the 6V6GT tubes. Even playing the DR through 2 X 12 cab cannot come close to the other two amps. Congradulations on your new amp, you got to luv these old Fender, I know I do.

What speakers do you have in it?

slide5 likes this.
  10. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Congrats, I much prefer my 68 twin with Factory blackface circuit over my 65 DRRI.

11. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

HNAD, congrats.

slide5 likes this.
  12. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Oh yeah!

slide5 likes this.
  13. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh damn...
    that looks much like the one I let go. or rather, the one I kick myself for letting go.

I hope that you and your new friend have many wonderful years together...and a word of caution:

sometime in the future some new pretty little thing will catch your eye and you'll think... "yeah, I can sell my Pro and it'll be good...!"

No dude, it will not. One night stands do not end well...don't let a pretty young face turn your head like I did.

And...now for a piece of unsolicited guidance...

If you ever want to remove those dents caused by some idiot with a screwdriver trying to get the grill/speaker board in or out...

remove all the knobs, switches, pilot light, plugs and screws...then the panel will be free to remove...and you can sandwich it between a couple of pieces of wood and bang on them with a hammer.

That will flatten the dents without further damage. But...don't try to straighten the dents with a screwdriver. That's how they got there to start.

JustABluesGuy and slide5 like this.
  14. slide5

Thanks! Yep I plan on keeping hold of this one for sure, i too have made some sales that I have lived to regret so determined not to add this to the list!

Thanks for the advice re the dents, will bear that in mind :)

15. slide5

Thanks roadhog, glad you've had the same experience then. Yes definitely noticed a thinness and harsh sound from the DRRI, I didn't notice it so much until I played this Pro though! Now then I a/b them it's so obvious.

Yes can't beat old fenders like these, maybe a bit more risk (and expense) but boy is it worth it.

It has Celestion A type speakers, I wasn't sure what to expect with these but they sound amazing, I'm tempted to try them in my Bassman

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

Great rig right there! Now you’ve made me very curious about the pro, although I suspect that my Tremolux ain’t all that different… At first occasion I’ll try one out!

slide5 likes this.
  17. slide5

Thanks Radio. I've never played the Tremolux so can't really say how it compares. I think all these type of amps - Pro, Vibrolux, Super, Twin etc do sound very alike. Would like to try a Tremolux some time.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

The bastard is clean up to 10 (as advertised!) but it sounds wonderful … ultimate blackface tone.

slide5 likes this.
  19. slide5

Wow, lots of clean headroom then!! Sounds great

RadioFM74 likes this.
  20. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

I’ve never tried an A Type, but I did pick up a couple of V Types (with my Bassbreaker 15 and ext cab) and even though I’m not normally a huge Celestion fan, and tend to prefer Eminence, and their more American voiced speakers, but the V Types sound really good, especially for dirt.

Anyway, if the A Type is as good the V Type (I would have reversed the confusing names myself) you have a good speaker. I’d sure like to hear them. If you do swap them it would be great if would record some clips and post them for us musical voyeurs! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.