NAD 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

64 Tele

Strat-O-Master
Feb 6, 2013
NW Arkansas
Everyone should own a DR (or two or three) in their life. I'd been without one since selling my 1964 and 1966 DR's back in 2001-2002 time frame.
I'd been looking at picking up one of Fender's DR's, just hadn't had a chance to A/B both models.
Arkansas Music Works (Bentonville, Ar.) had both models in stock and they'd given me a really good price on my 68 Custom Princeton Reverb several months ago.
My biggest concern was the baseline hiss/noise with the 68 Custom. It does have a little more noise going on, but tone and versatility of the two channels more than made up for the small amount of hiss/noise. The display room had fluorescent lights, so chalked part of noise up to that.
Got this home and plugged in my A/B/Y pedal to channel switch and run both channels. REALLY nice with the two very distinct sounding channels. Vintage channel sounds like a less bright 65 RI and the Custom channel is distinctly different/fuller sound.....but the two together with the Vintage just a hair louder is REALLY nice. Like a fuller BF Deluxe with just a little hair on it.
I was having so much fun, I never got around to trying out my pedal board effects with it. Sweet spot was about 4-4.5
Musician's Friend had both the 65 RI and 68 Custom Deluxe's discounted 20% right now and the store met their price (I did have to pay tax, but really wanted to try the amp out before buying).
Back under the tree till Christmas.......

Attachments

• 20161203_194050.jpg
    20161203_194050.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20161203_165349.jpg
    20161203_165349.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 37

Robins

Dr. von Loudster
Dec 22, 2010
Germany
Your wife is brutal. 21 days waiting.....
But you got the amp, you tried it and Christmas is coming.
Stay strong and sure she is waiting to catch you deep in the night sitting in front of the amp and playing just that little tune to enjoy your new amp.
Have a great Christmas.
If you don´t have a wife and all of that is self control you have all my respect but life is too short to not enjoy.

Life is good,
Robin

Last edited:

the dark sailor

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 18, 2008
south jersey
How did the 65ri & the 68 do in the head to head? I have been GASsing for a single 12" Fender combo for a while now. I had a 74 DR at one time that I regret selling a couple years ago.

64 Tele

Strat-O-Master
Feb 6, 2013
NW Arkansas
The 65 RI is pretty bright/thin sounding compared to the 68, but the 65 NAILS that clean Fender sound.
The 68 was just a little more versatile with the two distinct channels and the option of running both together.
After having a 68 PR for several months, I was hoping to like the 68 DR more. The only concern right from the start was the small amount of background hiss.

Attachments

• 20151017_180051.jpg
    20151017_180051.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 25

Silvercrow

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2014
Bucks County, Pa.
Congrats! Great amp IMO! I have had mine for 2 years now- just a month ago I had the cash together and had Allessandro handwire it. Kept the circuits as is (Vintage and "bassman" or tweed channel. I love this thing.

Best wishes with yours!

Brian

the dark sailor

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 18, 2008
south jersey
Congrats! Great amp IMO! I have had mine for 2 years now- just a month ago I had the cash together and had Allessandro handwire it. Kept the circuits as is (Vintage and "bassman" or tweed channel. I love this thing.

Best wishes with yours!

Brian
Very cool! How much does something like a custom point to point cost?

Steve112

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 15, 2013
Abbotsford, Canada
Congrats on the '68 CDR, I've had my '68 CVR for a year now. Great sounding amps and mine's been reliable and trouble free. The noise floor is quite acceptable even with more efficient Allesandro GA10-SC64s installed, an almost 3db gain over the Celestions.

Love the tones of the two channels, my Strats seem to prefer the Custom (Bassman) channel whereas my Tele likes the Vintage channel. Both are excellent and offer distinctly different tones that still retain that Fender chime and spank with ease.

I would`ve bought the `68 CDR but prefer the headroom of the Vibrolux, both are beautiful sounding amps and I`m sure you`ll like it even more when the speaker is broken in.