Join Strat-Talk Today

NAD: Fender Bassbreaker 15 Head

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by misterwogan, Nov 18, 2019.

1. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

Arrived this afternoon. My Bassman TV has no gain, so I wanted something similar where I could avoid using pedals if I so wished. My first impressions are that this is an excellent amp - for my purpose which is recording direct. The emulated cab output over XLR is excellent, no load box required.

We come to the big question: do I prefer this over the Bassman with the pedalboard. Simple answer is: yes I do - so far.

IMG_2638.JPG

2. Rydock

Rydock Strat-Talk Member

I’m pretty sure the amp still needs to be connected to a load even when using the silent record option. Although, correct me if I’m definitely wrong. Also keep in mind that the switch on top is a mute switch and not a true standby you would find on other amps. From what I read online, they are very different things.

3. misterwogan

MUTE: Mutes power amp and speaker while DIRECT OUT (R) signal remains live for recording and sound reinforcement use. POWER INDICATOR (H) flashes when MUTE is in use.

4. misterwogan

I got this from TDPRI...

With the Bassbreaker 15 in standby/mute mode, the lamp flashes and the high voltage to the power valves is turned off. The XLR is still active. It is safe to use in this configuration direct to a mixer or interface. You only get pre-amp sounds with speaker emulation applied through the XLR. No lovely power valve compression, but no need for a cab in that situation. All bets are off as to the longevity of the amp if you were to accidentally take it out of mute mode. It's a neat feature on the combo, but not one I'd trust on the head without a cab attached given my proclivity for fumbling switches.
    The manual needs some work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.